Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:45:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Somewhere in the Middle East, late 4th century BC  (Read 5984 times)

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
Re: Somewhere in the Middle East, late 4th century BC
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2020, 12:31:35 AM »
Nothing wrong with doing them 'parade ground look' - nowadays there is a tendency to show everything drab, tv series and movies nearly always do that, which is a shame. Obviously I would avoid purples, leaving them for commanders/bodyguards/elite since it was associated with nobility due to the cost/time in making such cloth.

But always paint them the way you like :)

PS Thanks Tonhel  :)

What I mean by "parade ground look" isn't about how bright everything is, but rather, having all the units look the same! The ancient historian in me knows full well that aside from elite units, having everybody "match" would've been pretty rare in the ancient world. (Of course, by the end of a campaign, I doubt there'd be much "shiny" equipment left either, but that's a separate issue.)

Anyway what I meant was, instead of painting 32 phalangites exactly the same, I'd do them in groups of 3 or 4 that all look pretty much the same, but then change it up for the next group. I'll probably try and unify the color palettes more moving forward; for now I'm still practicing with painting different combos and methods and whatnot.

In any event-- I can't wait to see more of your lads!
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2020, 03:03:54 PM »
@Fremitus - Ah ok, makes sense - definitely agree!

More hoplites march in the Satrap's camp and he is quite surprised. Hoplites wearing trousers - what is this? One the hoplites, with a wry smile on his face gives the satrap a missive from his agent in the north. He is busily recruiting hoplites from the Black Sea coasts and these are the first. Hoplites are welcome in his camp, so the Satrap bids them a good day. The hoplite bows but opens the palm of his right hand, face up. Coins, obviously, muses the Satrap. They're mercenaries after all.

I may not be historically accurate with these, because I didn't find any ceramic images, sculptures/reliefs/frescoes showing hoplites with trousers. Crimean finds show 'normal' greek attire in vases and plates. Cultured Greeks may have viewed trousers as an abomination. There were many greek cities on the coasts of the Black Sea and Crimea. They had contact with Scythians and other 'barbarians'. Some may have taken customs of these peoples or been influenced by them one way or the other.

Victrix has a successor kit which you can use to make trousered phalangites - I had extras so used them with normal hypaspist bodies. Had to fiddle because they didn't exactly fit. Gave them all hellenistic helmets from the successor and greek cavalry kits.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2020, 03:20:00 PM »
I think it looks really good! A lovely unit.

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2020, 11:48:17 AM »
I think it looks really good! A lovely unit.

Been thinking about them and they could also represent natives of the area being influenced by the Greeks.

Eagerly waiting for Victrix to get back in stock the hypaspist kit - don't have enough for a whole unit.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2020, 10:10:40 PM »
That is some very nice painting, and the basing finishes it off a treat  :)

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2020, 05:03:12 AM »

Been thinking about them and they could also represent natives of the area being influenced by the Greeks.

Eagerly waiting for Victrix to get back in stock the hypaspist kit - don't have enough for a whole unit.

Depending where you are in the world, I know of a couple shops that have them in stock in the US. If you're UK though it's probably just better to wait, with current shipping times and all.

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2020, 01:33:01 PM »
@Jeff - thanks!

@Fremitus - I live in Malta in the middle of the Mediterranean, a bit far away! Here no hobby store sells Victrix ancients :( Will wait a bit and do the commander in the meantime.

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2020, 06:08:35 PM »
@Jeff - thanks!

@Fremitus - I live in Malta in the middle of the Mediterranean, a bit far away! Here no hobby store sells Victrix ancients :( Will wait a bit and do the commander in the meantime.

Oh wow yeah, I can imagine getting stuff could be a pain  :o

Well, if you get desperate, one of my favorite shops has the Victrix hypaspists in stock and ships to the EU for the price of the order +25%, so itd be a little under 30 EUR, I think.

https://www.badgergames.com/shipping.html

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2020, 08:05:05 PM »
Long time coming, but I was generally unmotivated to paint. Heatwave doesn’t help either.

Our Satrap has been fretting for weeks now, no new reinforcements to bolster his satrapy. His levies were still green as grass, his mercenaries too few and there were no cavalry to speak of. However, one day two Greeks ride in the Satrap’s camp. One of them is an exile from Thebes, having fled the city after the battle of Chaeronea. Defeated by the golden boy and his father, he seeks revenge. The Satrap muses. He knows too well the usefulness of such men, so gladly gives him command of the hoplites in the Satrap’s service and also a purple cloak as a sign of authority.

I used Victrix greek heavy cavalry set. Used the club motif on the shield to tie him with the narrative.

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2020, 08:25:32 PM »
Brilliant! Glad to see more more from your project. I hear you on the motivation, for sure. I feel like I've been working on this one phalanx unit for forever, and keep running off and doing side things that sap the time away...

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2020, 07:09:48 AM »
Thanks Fremitus

Yes I also get easily distracted - focusing on a single project is quite difficult for me.

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2020, 09:29:07 AM »
Superb  :-*

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2020, 11:11:12 AM »
Lovely work! :-*

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2020, 05:43:59 PM »
Thanks Fremitus

Yes I also get easily distracted - focusing on a single project is quite difficult for me.

Indeed! I must have like 5 separate units primed and "ready" to be painted right now... at least they're all for basically the same army?  lol

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2020, 05:04:59 PM »
Thanks all!

Our Satrap has bolstered his forces with a scouting group of peltasts. Unwilling to join the macedonians, they heard of persian gold and found employment with the Satrap. Some had fought under the Greek commander, so had been warmly welcomed. They also brought news that more hoplites are on the way and would reach the camp soon......

Finished this group of peltasts - kit-bashed from various victrix sets. I didn't have enough peltast bodies so I used numidians and even greek slingers! Conversions took some time, but didn't want to buy a whole box of peltasts because I have no use for 48 of them and some sprues from ebay weren't worth it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 07:29:23 PM by Corso »