Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:58:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thinking about - Gangs of Rome but in a modern setting....  (Read 1780 times)

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
Thinking about - Gangs of Rome but in a modern setting....
« on: June 06, 2020, 11:18:44 AM »
Thinking about mobs and rioting on the tabletop.. use old systems out there, 70`s warriors and somebody did a football brawling one i think.

Looking at gangs of rome videos, i like what i see.... rules for mobs and people popping in and out at different places... pebbles in a bag like bolt action would help with solo play, same with mob rules..... the coin system with hidden weapons would allow a rioting to keep his weapon hidden, blend into a mob, appear elsewhere, flip coin - its a brick or petrol bomb... attack and then blend into mob again. And the mobs within 6" can run off or even attack the rioter..

It feels like a system i could play with in my spare time ( if i have any ! ) for a modern setting ?

Do you play gangs of rome and feel it could work... or maybe you know of other rules that would work...?

Thanks people for any update in designing in this direction....

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Thinking about - Gangs of Rome but in a modern setting....
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 01:47:34 PM »
I think its AGGRO minis that do a football riot style game, which may work if you're looking for a modern setting.

However I've neither played that or Gangs of Rome, so I can't speak for what would be the most suitable. A few companies do modern rioters though - which means there aught to be some system out there for them to be used in.

The location and type of riot would likely influence which rules to use. I.e. particularly if either side are using firearms, or if its expected to get bloody - rather than people just being knocked out or arrested. Or if you want to go off the deep end a bit, whether to include rules for Police snipers, or vehicles being used as weapons for instance.

Skirmish scale systems could work. Not every encounter would be a mass of protestors vs a wall of police. Crowds could break away into their own fights, or say the police may pursue a smaller group into an area outside the main conflict.

You may also want to look into things like temporary barricades. Say just piles of junk which can hold back individuals for a time, but are no use against vehicles. I'm also picturing things like crowd control barriers used by police - placed in a mesh pattern so they're far more stable.

Fire may play a big part in any game. Maybe scoring points for destroying property, or strictly used for creating temporary barriers. Not necessarily just used by the rioters (one iconic image of a police officer comes to mind...).

Rules for Journalists could be interesting too. Giving the rioters some sort of morale bonus, and taking points off of the police if they're attacked by them. The police of course may choose to attack them anyway...

Vehicles may not be necessary. Maybe just using them as terrain, barriers, spawn points for police, or as static emplacements - armed with water cannons, sound projectors, etc.

Besides police there could be civilians protesting against the rioters, or pacifist groups (who again sides would lose points for engaging, and otherwise would act as a barrier).

Just a stream of thoughts. :)

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 09:20:18 AM »
The Tribal system has a Gang supplement - Brutal, Ive not played it but it looks pretty smooth & easy to use

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 06:44:30 AM »
Fistful of Lead could work.
There are vehicle rules for the Galactic Heroes supplement and a Bigger Battles supplement for large crowds.
There arent specific rules for setting things on fire, but there are rules for interacting with things. I suppose one could interact with a trashcan using a lighter?

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 12:29:38 AM »

May I suggest my own set of rules written for modern street gangs (or those of the recent past) - Mean Streets: War in Gang-infested Cities. If you've seen the 1979 movie The Warriors, that is what I am shooting for in these rules: Here's the link to the page where they are for sale in PDF or print:
http://www.firstcommandwargames.com/mean-streets.html

Here's my blog link for posts talking about the rules, battle reports, gangs and buildings I've created, etc.: http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/search/label/Gang%20Warfare

Feel free to PM or post with questions!

Mike Demana

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 04:20:15 PM »
Please remember the board rules about events this millennium.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=72390.msg882118#msg882118

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 05:38:21 PM »
I recently got the Mean Streets rules. They are quite nice.
Give you a good game with some variety of weapons and
abilities for the figures.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 05:47:39 PM »
Update

Just found this on YT, using 15mm figures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhp9PtbGiQI&t=299s

Dan