Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painting some Romans - starting with C3rd AD  (Read 9384 times)

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
Re: Painting some Romans - starting with C3rd AD
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 07:40:15 AM »
Dux and Sharpe are the TFL rules that I have the most experience with, and both are pretty terrible IMHO. But each to their own.

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2020, 08:01:04 PM »
Craig, have you tried SP2? I hated the original SP but have found SP2 better. All my mates have gone for "Infamy, Infamy", but I must admit I have managed to resist. I am more likely to spend my cash on a copy of Simon McDowell's "Comitatus".   

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2020, 04:43:45 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. Will ponder on the rules and see what others make of Infamy, Infamy.

No Microsol last week but did manage to get a bunch of shields finished and ready for decal-ing:

I painted the front with a couple of thin coats of VGC white figuring they did not need to be pure brilliant white, just white enough to not obscure the details on the decals.

I also did some other shields including some of the Warlord freebie midget Roman veterans that came with one of the WI last year. I'll use them for practice.

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2020, 05:00:21 AM »
Muzfish, your original post inspired me to go back and look at A&A. Some of the packs/ranges are a bit hit-and-miss and are showing their age, but I agree the Middle Imperial Roman ( 3rd Century) have stood the test of time. A mate of mine beat me to buying a Roman army but yesterday I bought a Palmyran army with Eastern Roman allies. Can't wait to get them onto the painting table.

A&A currently have a June "buy four packs get one free" offer plus half-price P&P.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2020, 08:17:31 AM »
The Microsol has finally turned up and I had my first foray into LMB transfers.

I did three Warlord ones to get a feel for it and initially found them to be very frustrating as the plastic layer just did not want to peel off which got a bit frustrating. I used sticky tape which either took it off first time of made no difference whatsoever - am I missing anything here?

After three Warlord ones I needed a bit of a change and found that oval C3rd AD shields I picked up from A&A all had their plastic coat come off first time and were super easy to use.  Just to test things out I then tried a hexagonal cavalry shield (difficult) and an rectangular shield with the 'Dura Europas' design on it which came of first time and, again, worked well (though the A&A shield boss is circular I think a bit of judicious painting should deal with any possible problems with this one.

Anyway, shield transfers are on and the microsol was useful in moving them about a bit:

In the meantime I have also finished an officer type - really like this pose:

Will get the shield glues on tomorrow and may even get a chance to finish up, base and varnish. Chance would be a fine thing.

As an aside, the A&A sale did tempt me but I made a compact with myself to order no more until I finish off this lot. The month's special offer is an extra cavalryman and still half price postage....
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 08:20:31 AM by Muzfish4 »

Offline Aventine

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2020, 11:05:25 AM »
A small step before cutting the transfers out which helps is to peel back the plastic down to the description but not fully off releasing the transfers then letting it settle back in place, this I find makes getting the backing sheet off easier once cut.

Cheers
Keith

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2020, 11:52:57 AM »
Thanks, Keith. I'll try that for the next lot.

Anyway, I got sidetracked a bit and ended up finishing three of the Warlord C1st AD Romans that came as a freebie in a WI last year some time.  Here are the veterans three:

I quite like the miniatures but they're pretty small. One day, once I'm done with this little project, I might have  ago at a C1st AD Roman force; Aventine look like they have some very nice miniatures.

Back to the chaos of the C3rd, here's three infantrymen shielded, based and varnished. The Testors Dullcote worked a treat in taking the shine off the LBM transfers:

So, there we go, a good bit of progress here.  Finally, the comparison shots. Apart from being from different periods the tiny Warlord Games Romans just don't look right next to the A&A Romans:

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2020, 12:11:38 PM »
Great stuff  8) 8) 8)

If I haven't said it already, I love the Third Century A&A Roman range.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2020, 03:07:25 PM »
As you paint your shields separate, what do you use to attach them?

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2020, 11:46:18 AM »
As you paint your shields separate, what do you use to attach them?

Just a few dabs of superglue. Was thinking of a fancy two part epoxy resin but if this works and withstands handling then so much the better.

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2020, 02:19:32 PM »
I would endorse using superglue. I actually use almost the cheapest I can find. The key for me is finding one that is fast-setting. That’s why I don’t use epoxy resin.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2020, 03:22:50 PM »
Thanks guys!

It’s a continuous thing I contemplate. I know the bond is supposed to be far better with no paint on the surfaces.  Yet, it’s hard to paint figures moulded with separate shields after the shields are attached.

I have read about a chap who uses Aleene’s Stretchable Fabric Glue. Supposed to be permanent but allows some movement and not just break off like I find superglue does. 

Sitting in a display case is one thing, playing with and transport are another!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2020, 03:30:20 PM »
I usually pin my shields and paint shield and mini separately. It's a pain in the bum but it does mean you can get a metal on metal bond . Still, as long as the shields stay on the models- I had never heard of fabric superglue. It must have some 'give'; in it to work on fabrics? It sounds like it's worth trying out. :)

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2020, 05:54:21 PM »
Just a comment on skirmish rules. I share the opinion that Sharp Practice 2 is a pleasant and accurate set of rules for a broad approach of the black powder period ( without too much minutiae on drill moves).
I think Dux Brit. has a fine flavor too. In fact I just tasted the rules for a post-Aetius Frankish raid in the so-called kingdom of Soissons. It works perfectly. And, simple as they are, these are the first rules ever to accurately simulate one central element of cavalry warfare: the horses!
Here you must think about the mount first: one point of shock means the horses get nervous, and double shock to figures ration means horses are blown away! That alone should justify giving these rules a try!
But for the Third Century, one of my personal favorite periods, I'm going to try Clash of Spears. It should adapt well to the Rhine-Danubian scenarios at least. Or so I hope to discover.
Philippe

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2020, 12:03:48 AM »
I have read good things about Clasj of Spears and have been following it since testing phase.