Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:33:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689289
  • Total Topics: 118269
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting some Romans - starting with C3rd AD  (Read 9449 times)

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Painting some Romans - starting with C3rd AD
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2020, 12:24:08 PM »
I have some A&A Samnites to paint for a friend - they required a lot of cleaning up especially around the hand that would hold a weapon  :-[

That is a good tip on the Microsol, I will pass it on to the local group as there are a couple of players with Macedonians.

Shields - I prime both sides and then attract the outside face to a nail head with brutal. Paint the inside face and give it a quick coat of Dullcote to protect.
Turn the shield over and either paint white for transfers or whatever colour required if no transfers available.

Prior to painting the figure I drill a hole in the hand where the shield will attach and glue in a pin. Drill matching hole in the shield - prior to painting -just deep enough to form a key.
Clean of any paint where the hand and shield contact, bond with epoxy resin.
As an added bond I will add spots of superglue where the shield touch’s any place on the body.

As this is done before varnishing there is no glossy residue.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2020, 02:12:58 PM »
I'm with Mindenbrush, 99% of the time I pin the shields on post painting and varnishing with a very tough gloss and Windsor and Newton Artists Professional Matt spray- flattest matt and most consistent results I've ever had with a varnish.

Not always, and with the Early Byzantines as can be seen on this thread:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=126018.0

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2020, 01:50:22 AM »
Interesting thoughts on the best way to affix shields. I'll see how superglue goes when they finally get onto the table of honour.

Anyway, I finished another couple of clubmen who are meant to look Germanic:

Here they are with their other mates:

That's half of them done now so starting to feel like I am really making a bit of progress.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2020, 01:04:17 AM »
So much for progress. RL halted painting for a while but I've managed to liberate some time and finished another two clubmen:

I did these guys with different skintones and different wood colouring to, again, suggest a polyglot unit rapidly assembled. Here's the unit so far:

And here they are ready(ish) to go into action:

Next step will be finish the final two (again with slight variances) and then have a look at the command elements.

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2020, 05:39:12 AM »
Very nice.  A 3rd Century A&A Miniatures Roman army is my painting project for the Festive season which for me starts this Saturday. A nice opponent for my Palmyrans and Sassanid Persians.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2020, 09:22:15 AM »
Lovely work  :-*

The A&A Third Century Romans range is one of my all times faves- net to the Sassanid range of course1  8)

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2020, 12:51:03 PM »
Atheling, the A&A Palmyrans are pretty unique. I find the Sassanids a bit of a mixed bag. The cavalry are nice, the infantry rather “wooden” IMHO. I bought Gripping Beast many years ago before “re-finding” A&A over the Summer.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2020, 02:38:28 PM »
Atheling, the A&A Palmyrans are pretty unique. I find the Sassanids a bit of a mixed bag. The cavalry are nice, the infantry rather “wooden” IMHO. I bought Gripping Beast many years ago before “re-finding” A&A over the Summer.

I am going to go with Aventine for my Sassanids as I have done with my Early Byzantines/Eastern Romans. The Aventine range is much more suitable for the era I have in mind as many of the A&A 'Sassanid' mini's could equally be Parthians, which are obviously too early. Basically the A&A range is 'early' and the Aventine 'late' :)

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2020, 06:44:15 PM »
Atheling, good call.  Yes the A&A range are "early" .  My next purchase is Aventine's  Byzantine range. I'm just waiting to see the cavalry and then I'll open the wallet. I am inspired by your painting of them.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2020, 07:40:23 PM »
Atheling, good call.  Yes the A&A range are "early" .  My next purchase is Aventine's  Byzantine range. I'm just waiting to see the cavalry and then I'll open the wallet. I am inspired by your painting of them.

Keep you eyes pealed on my blog re: horses ;)

Offline AlyMorrison

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2020, 01:49:50 PM »
Lovely looking Clubmen Muzfish...
They are nice and weighty looking and certainly look like they could hold their own against heavy cavalry...
I have a unit of these sitting in the lead mountain and I am looking forward to painting them...

All the best.   Aly
YES!... I KNOW I AM A BUTTERFLY.
http://alystoysoldiers.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2021, 11:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind word.

Not getting as much done as I had hoped, but did finish a couple more legionaries. I have decided to go for the mix-and-match look by adding a couple of these guys to future units with different coloured uniforms and shield designs.

Once I finish off what I have in the painting queue I'll make another order to A&A to add some more infantry and skirmishers.

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2021, 05:31:39 AM »
Muzfish, very nice.  As I posted last year I planned to start to paint my 3rd century A&A army over Christmas and am pleased to report I managed the whole lot including the Warbases sabot bases. They even won their 1st game last Thursday beating the A&A Palmyran army I also bought and painted last year.  The figures aren't as crisp as the latest sculpts from say Foundry or Aventine, but are still very nice and the only ones available for that period . Very pleased that I invested in LBMS decals as these really add something to the units .  I have just bough a few more packs including a dromedary unit and these have pushed their way to the front of my painting queue. 

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2021, 10:47:24 AM »
Really nice work  8)

I lobe the A&A Middle Imperial Rome range.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2021, 05:03:14 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. I have finally finished the last couple of clubmen:

Here's a collated shot (first try at adding an image to my LAF Gallery):

Here's a *better) second attempt at a collage:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 05:13:03 AM by Muzfish4 »