Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:29:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Getting Back In: I was on facebook and I was wrong. (Recommendations Wanted)  (Read 6984 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
If you click on that you have the option to to save the post and can sort them by category. I do that now for miniatures, terrain and other ideas.

And then get ready to be reminded about them by Facebook. Its bloody annoying

Offline _Si_

• Bookworm
    • BlokeCrafted
Good shout on the saving of post. To be honest if something is really remember worthy I take a screenshot. Does make me miss my categorised bookmark list though every time I need to rummage.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
If something is really good i pin it on pinterest. Best place to keep artistic ideas organized.

Online Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
If something is really good i pin it on pinterest. Best place to keep artistic ideas organized.

As a casual browser of images I find Pinterest annoying.

If I use a search engine for an image it invariably gives a list of images all on Pinterest.

If I try to look at it, even if it's obviously an image from someone else's website, then Pinterest won't let me look at it unless I register with them.

By posting this I'm secretly hoping there's an obvious way around this that I'm missing lol.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain

If I use a search engine for an image it invariably gives a list of images all on Pinterest.

If I try to look at it, even if it's obviously an image from someone else's website, then Pinterest won't let me look at it unless I register with them.

By posting this I'm secretly hoping there's an obvious way around this that I'm missing lol.

Borrow someone else’s phone...as long as they’ve got Pinterest   ;)

Online Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
There is an obvious way around it: Register with them!

:)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Online Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
There is an obvious way around it: Register with them!

:)

I quite object to having to. It galls me a bit that they can hold someone else's images hostage in the way they do.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
I quite object to having to. It galls me a bit that they can hold someone else's images hostage in the way they do.

I guess it is a small price to pay for a free service.

If you have chrome (or maybe it is a youtube account) all you have to do is click yes to register. I will do one day, because there are what appears to be a treasure trove of photos there.

Online Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
I guess it is a small price to pay for a free service.

If you have chrome (or maybe it is a youtube account) all you have to do is click yes to register. I will do one day, because there are what appears to be a treasure trove of photos there.

I've just been having a bit a a Google around Pinterest and I'm even less inclined to register with them now.

As far as I understand, when someone pins an image (whether it belongs to them or not) they are confirming they do have the copyright and grant Pinterest to be able to use the image as they wish - this is what allows Pinterest to block access to the real owners site.

Their defence appears to be that they accepted the image in good faith and the offence has been committed not by them but by the person who pinned the image.

So when an artist or photographer creates and copyrights an image it is essentially stolen and, if google be believed, it is quite difficult for the real owner of the image to seek redress.

I'm an oldie and may have missed something but I think, on balance, I'll pass as it seems to give carte blanche to steal other peoples work.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius

Fear not! When you search for images, you can add "-pinterest" (without the quote marks) to the end of the search and Google will filter out all the Pinterest results.

Online Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Fear not! When you search for images, you can add "-pinterest" (without the quote marks) to the end of the search and Google will filter out all the Pinterest results.

Thank you.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
I left Facebook over a year ago after being quite the Facebook fanboy for a long time. So much so I encouraged many people to join Facebook back in the day. I ran a few different groups as an admin. I had over 2,000 friends from all over the world. Checking Facebook was a constant endeavor. My world news came through it. My validation from likes. My political and artistic rants consumed me. Every day I raged because someone on the internet was wrong... or had told me I was wrong. It all became too much.

It was difficult to leave. But I did. I let folks know I was going and told them how we could stay in touch.

However, many people who promised to stay in touch via email have not. Many who promised to follow a blog of mine if I started one have not followed the one I did start. I miss elements of Facebook, the connectivity, the sense of community but I do not regret my decision. Facebook is not your friend, largely because as was said earlier Facebook is more interested in advertisers than users. And much of the Community aspect is an illusion.

Thanks for the heads up on Pinterest. I am not a member and that information confirms it was the right decision.

This is why my thread in the fantasy section on here is so important to me. It is one of my few connections to the world outside my little village.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain

As far as I understand, when someone pins an image (whether it belongs to them or not) they are confirming they do have the copyright and grant Pinterest to be able to use the image as they wish - this is what allows Pinterest to block access to the real owners site.

Their defence appears to be that they accepted the image in good faith and the offence has been committed not by them but by the person who pinned the image.

So when an artist or photographer creates and copyrights an image it is essentially stolen and, if google be believed, it is quite difficult for the real owner of the image to seek redress.

Yikes!

Offline _Si_

• Bookworm
    • BlokeCrafted
To avoid pinterest polluting your google search just add

Code: [Select]
-site:pinterest.*
after your search term. It's amazing how similar your results are, it's just they come from the original locations rather than the pinned ones. Even if people are genuine and site their sources, it still adds a couple of annoying clicks to your journey, the above strips that out.

That said I was trying to find something on the alternative armies site yesterday and it was a pinterest board that helped me :D (the big helmeted guys from space marines and adventurers, which is why I couldn't find them in ion age I guess)