Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:27:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Getting Back In: I was on facebook and I was wrong. (Recommendations Wanted)  (Read 6983 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Pinterest is another of the American "nothing to do with me" social media sites that hide behind the law allowing them to distance themselves from the content posted by users.  If hosting sites were held legally accountable for the content they host you can be pretty sure that 95% of the illegal and dangerous material would be gone overnight. (Would also serve to force Kickstarter to actually start protecting its backers)

I don't know how you feel about installing browser userscripts (via Tampermonkey) on your system but there are several scripts available to allow you to view Pinterest without registering, to view the maximum size image without having to trawl through the links and to force it to allow access to the original source of an image.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
I guess it is a small price to pay for a free service.

If the service appears ‘free’ it’s actually you and your data that is the product being sold.

I wouldn’t touch Facebook with two barge poles tied together and someone else holding them. The forums have always been a more useful resource and community.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
Pinterest is another of the American "nothing to do with me" social media sites that hide behind the law allowing them to distance themselves from the content posted by users.

...while completely plastering that "borrowed" content with ads, becoming the only party who makes money from it. And to take that to the next level, collecting or helping to collect very detailed user profiles, one way or another.

Think carefully what exactly happens when you "share" someone else's content on FB, Pinterest and such. Who did the actual work? Who reaps the benefits? Who is the fool?

If hosting sites were held legally accountable for the content they host you can be pretty sure that 95% of the illegal and dangerous material would be gone overnight. (Would also serve to force Kickstarter to actually start protecting its backers)

Of course, such accountability could also mean that someone on LAF would have to go through every image uploaded to its gallery and compare it against all copyrighted material out there. That general effect is one of the reasons why hosting sites are not immediately responsible for all of their users' content. The new EU copyright directive is trying to address that balance but it's...complicated.

I won't go any further right now, primarily because I'm hosting today...not a website but a game. :) Let's see if can be bothered to return to this subject matter at all. To keep it short, I simply dislike all solutions which require getting married with a single provider that uses a walled garden model. Even more so if the business model is based on blatant leeching and privacy violation. That's all, folks. :-I

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
I’ve just left a load of groups on Facebook, too many idiots on various groups, there’s some nice people but I can’t deal with stupid people! Rather avoid them!! The lafs always been great, this and the old Steve dean painting site were my go to forums! That’s it for Facebook for me now really!!