Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:59:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690852
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Adding mounted archers to Lion Rampant- anybody done it?  (Read 2209 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Adding mounted archers to Lion Rampant- anybody done it?
« on: June 07, 2020, 01:15:51 PM »
I have not played Lion Rampant yet, just reading through the rules. But I am thinking that Mounted Archers should be an option. To be clear I am not talking about any kind of horse archers- I mean normal longbowmen that were put on horses for mobility and then dismounted to form up and fight.
In the rules they simply don't exist- you have to decide up front which units are mounted and dismounted for the whole game (ie. the knights)
I am thinking such a unit could have the 12" maximum move (as yeomen) but they would have to take a full move to dismount and form up before being able to shoot. And another move to mount up again and get away, (should they get the chance in a game, which I doubt). And they would not have the benefit of laying stakes, unlike the foot longbowmen.
Undecided if they should be a unit of six (as all other mounted units are in LR) or could be a normal unit of 12.
I wondered if anyone else has experimented with adding this troop type, and how it played out in a game?

I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Adding mounted archers to Lion Rampant- anybody done it?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 02:29:11 PM »
Effectively you want medieval Dragoons, so why not treat them so.
Knowing your preferred choice of depicting such, I can see it now,
some on nags, some dismounted with 'empty' horses all on '3,2,1 bases'
I wouldn't bother with a move to form up etc. just take a D6 worth of
inches off their move allowance & something off their shooting ability,
IF they shoot that turn.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 04:15:33 PM »
That's an idea  ;)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 05:04:46 PM »
Perhaps 6 figures mounted, 9 figures when dismounted (to represent horseholders)? or 12 on foot if you are not going to re-mount
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 05:44:55 PM »
I'm sure that there were some rules floating around on Dan's sadly now defunct Blog for this very thing- HYW adaptations if I remember correctly.

If you google search Lion Rampant Hundred Years War adaptations I'm sure you'll find something.

Hope that helps?

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »
I'm sure that there were some rules floating around on Dan's sadly now defunct Blog for this very thing- HYW adaptations if I remember correctly.

If you google search Lion Rampant Hundred Years War adaptations I'm sure you'll find something.

Hope that helps?

The same idea has occurred to others as I did find this one for a later period:
https://uiduach.blogspot.com/2018/01/a-tudor-retinue-for-1513-lion-rampant.html

Thanks, I will refine my google search as you recommend.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 06:04:16 PM »
The same idea has occurred to others as I did find this one for a later period:
https://uiduach.blogspot.com/2018/01/a-tudor-retinue-for-1513-lion-rampant.html

Thanks, I will refine my google search as you recommend.

I think Dan's amendments for the HYW do survive somewhere on the net though I cannot remember where I've seen them off the top of my head.

Good luck on your 'hunt' :)

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 06:08:32 PM »
I use the following adaptation for my early 16c Tudor games, hope it helps.

Mounted Archers & Mounted Arquebusiers

Models per unit: 6
POINTS 4
Attack
6+
Attack Value
5+
Move
5+
Defence Value
Shoot
6+
Shoot Value / Range
5+ / 12”
Courage
5+
Maximum movement
12”
Armour
Special Rules
Evade

Special rules:

• Movement; the unit can make a single mount or dismount at the start or end of a movement phase and must dismount to fire. A unit cannot mount, move and dismount and with the exception of retreating it must mount to move.

• When in retreat the unit does so as cavalry if contacted mounted and infantry if contacted on foot.

• Evade, upon a successful roll of 7+ the unit may perform an evade action when charged with a -1 shoot value and moves a half move as cavalry. This represents the unit firing then quickly mounting to escape.

• (Arquebusiers) Shot: Unless in cover all units count as -1 Armour against Shooting by this unit in half range or less.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 06:13:08 PM »
I have seen my idea being discussed with various options for working them into the rules.
One is to have them shoot at half strength (six dice) once dismounted but this would seem a bit pointless because of the points cost of putting them on horses and then making them quite weak.

Another idea is to make the mount/dismount an action (+7?)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 06:18:00 PM »
I use the following adaptation for my early 16c Tudor games, hope it helps.

Mounted Archers & Mounted Arquebusiers

Models per unit: 6
POINTS 4
Attack
6+
Attack Value
5+
Move
5+
Defence Value
Shoot
6+
Shoot Value / Range
5+ / 12”
Courage
5+
Maximum movement
12”
Armour
Special Rules
Evade

Special rules:

• Movement; the unit can make a single mount or dismount at the start or end of a movement phase and must dismount to fire. A unit cannot mount, move and dismount and with the exception of retreating it must mount to move.

• When in retreat the unit does so as cavalry if contacted mounted and infantry if contacted on foot.

• Evade, upon a successful roll of 7+ the unit may perform an evade action when charged with a -1 shoot value and moves a half move as cavalry. This represents the unit firing then quickly mounting to escape.

• (Arquebusiers) Shot: Unless in cover all units count as -1 Armour against Shooting by this unit in half range or less.

Thanks Stuart, that is food for thought.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 10:36:40 AM »
In a medieval battle would mounted archers have really moved about the battlefield mounted then dismounted to shoot?  It was my understanding that in the hundred years war they were mounted for the marches but essentially acted exactly like a foot slogging longbowman once they were arrayed for battle.  ie their horses would be back with the baggage.

So they didn't mount up, move somewhere, dismount, fire a few shots, mount up again, move elsewhere, shoot again, etc. 

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 10:42:56 AM »
In a medieval battle would mounted archers have really moved about the battlefield mounted then dismounted to shoot?  It was my understanding that in the hundred years war they were mounted for the marches but essentially acted exactly like a foot slogging longbowman once they were arrayed for battle.  ie their horses would be back with the baggage.

So they didn't mount up, move somewhere, dismount, fire a few shots, mount up again, move elsewhere, shoot again, etc.

Lion Rampant is a skirmish game and is very suited to playing Chevauchee based scenarios in which looting and pillaging were institutionalised and legitimate forms of warfare.

On that basis I would say that allowing mounted archers to dismount and shoot is fine. Personally I would also allow them to stop dead whilst riding and loose from a horse in such a scenario.