Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:01:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689751
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bearwoodman's Gnomes  (Read 6901 times)

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: Bearwoodman's Gnomes
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2020, 06:56:11 PM »
very impressive and unique

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2020, 07:53:08 PM »
This thread continues to deliver!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2020, 12:36:00 PM »
Thanks both, I appreciate the feedback!

There are some Gnome cavalry on the way, and a structure, and mushrooms...

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2021, 08:33:00 PM »

Once you have arrived at the Maypole and Mushroom, ordered a gnomish beer and made yourself comfortable around one of the (very) low tables, you might mention that while on your way you saw a mysterious hooded figure with a face like a skull grinning at you from between the trees. Your hosts will most likely smile and tell of Ember the Ancient Huntress. She is (or was) a gnome of the forest, but how long ago it was that she first trod the forest paths none can say. Many claim to have seen her moving silently between the trees by moonlight, or standing motionless in the forest's gloom, and they say her clothing and weapons are of a style no longer found in these parts. She carries a bow, while the Beechwood Gnomes favour crossbows, and her long sleeveless coat is unlike any garment worn by any of the gnomes that live here now. Moreover she is a good head taller than the tallest gnome in the settlement, almost the size of a halfling. She is also clearly no longer fully alive, although the magic that sustains her is not understood.

Despite this the Beechwood Gnomes do not consider her presence sinister. Sentries in treetop watchtowers who catch sight of her while carrying out their lonely duty report finding her presence strangely reassuring. Your hosts may even tell you of the legend that says that should the Beechwood face an existential threat Ember will join forces with the living gnomes to defend what they both hold dear.

Ember the Undead Gnome by Morgue Miniatures, alongside a gnome villager by Old School Miniatures.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2021, 10:38:58 PM »
I've not posted on this thread for a while but work has been continuing on the Gnomes. There are quite a lot in various stages of priming, basing or base coating, but there are a few I have actually finished.

Here are a couple of female crossbow-armed Gnomes to bring my unit up to 12.

A mysterious and somewhat sinister Gnome Plague Doctor. I looked carefully at Cubb's wonderful Citadel Nostalgia thread for inspiration on how to paint the bottles but sadly I could not get mine to look anywhere near as good.

An Organ Gun for some heavier missile support.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2021, 12:10:03 AM »
I love this thread and am happy that you are adding to your gnome forces. I just have this horrible vision of the gnome player speaking in a high pitched squeeky voice throughout a game, especially after a couple of beers. Talk about a morale breaker!
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2021, 12:40:40 AM »
I've never seen this thread before, but I love all of it. I love the bits of story you give to each unit, which builds up the Gnomish society's lore overall. Very awesome!  :D

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2021, 02:17:02 AM »
Great stuff as always mate. I particularly like how you painted the lens on the telescope.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2021, 12:26:45 AM »
@Marianas_gamer: Thank you for your comment. I confess that the Gnomes have only seen battle once so far (battle report to follow soon...probably), and I was not in command. Unfortunately the Gnome player used his normal voice at all times and (no doubt as a consequence) the Gnome forces were routed from the field. Rest assured that once I have rallied them and led them back for revenge I will scrupulously follow your advice: *squeaky voice* "Up (a bit) and at 'em!"

@Gibby: Thanks for the feedback - I am never quite sure if my rambling is interesting to anyone other than me! Thanks to you, there will now be more!

@Grumpy Gnome: Cheers mate, I am glad you like it. I think the blue on the telescope contrasts nicely with the yellow on the gun shield - it took me a long time to decide what colour to paint the gun as I wanted something colourful but not too aggressive or moody.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2022, 06:43:37 PM »
This chap is Eric Portobello (born Thorin Ironhammer) and he joined the Beechwood Gnomes many years ago, after a long and arduous journey from great halls beneath a far off mountain. The effort was worth it, he says, as here he can finally be himself. He no longer has to pretend to love gold and metalworking in order to fit in and instead and he can grow mushrooms, train squirrels, wear a pointy red hat and generally live like the true gnome that he self-identifies as. 

His arrival originally raised a few eyebrows amongst the more traditionally minded Gnomes, but Thorin's evident pride in Gnome culture, undeniably useful metallurgical knowledge, and the fact his powerful frame towers above the other Gnomes in the Beechwood meant that no one thought it worthwhile thinking too hard about the extent to which Gnomishness was actually a state of mind. Just don't buy him too many drinks or he will start singing that long, sad song about a Dragon again...

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2022, 07:12:55 PM »
That’s one of the best background stories I have read! Brilliant figures throughout, too.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2022, 08:14:35 PM »
Your BEAUTIFULLY painted Gnome characters & WONDERFULLY entertaining stories about them are truly inspiring...I had to stop between pages two & three to paint something. OUTSTANDING WORK!
I have been remiss in commenting outside of my own thread for some time. I will, however, make an effort to leave a word or two of encouragement/praise whenever I see you have updated your thread.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2022, 11:14:33 PM »
Lovely, a brilliant thread :-*
Needs badgers though ;D
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2022, 08:37:58 AM »
Great work as always mate and brilliant backstory to help Eric/Thorin fit in.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2022, 09:43:43 AM »
great paint-job.

I had a bunch of those 'gnomes' off ebay - they're from a boardgame irrc.
Excellent figures.