Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:45:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Echoes of Camelot:Arthurian Legends (Kickstarter campaign by Big Child Creatives  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Big Child Creatives

• Lurker
Hello everyone!

We want to tell you about this Kickstarter campaign that we just launched. It's a collection of 75mm scale figures based on Arthurian Legends, it launched less than 24 hours ago and it is blowing up.

On Big Child Creatives we normally make very crazy fantasy figures, but this time we toned it down a bit and made a slightly more realistic (admittedly on some figures more than others) style, Game of Thrones-like if you will, to hopefully appeal a bit to fans of historical kits too. Some of us made part of our careers in the world of historic miniatures and we'd like to tip our hat to them.

We're working with some of the best regarded sculptors and painters in the world, and we always produce our figures in the highest quality resin (we have our own formula). This is our fourth succesful campaign, and even still the reception of it is being spectacular. We wanted to come tell you earlier, but we can't stop updating the campaign showing more stretch goals as the audience keeps blazing through them. We're tremendously grateful and we want to share this with the world. Here's the link to it:

https://bit.ly/echoesofcamelot

We have an early bird, but only for a few more hours!

We hope you like the figures, do tell us what you think about it and what questions you may have.

Here are some of the unlocked figures so far:

Here's the link again :)

https://bit.ly/echoesofcamelot

We have an early bird, but only for a few more hours!

• Lurker
Okay, so quick update: this caught fire so fast that people blazed through all of our stretch goals in a matter of days  :o  and so what we did next is we sat down and revised our resources, and decided on a plan to keep on adding stuff to the campaign.

So far, we have one more figure to add to the roster, which we're pretty close to reaching:

This is a figure that we thought of including from the beginning, then we prioritized others but ultimately, by popular demand, is back into the lineup. Our Knights of the Round Table will all get her, and the rest will be able to order her if we reach that level of funding.

Then from that threshold on, we have other rewards in mind, but we don't want to spoil the surprises yet  :D

• Lurker
Hi again! We have news for you!

We're introducing 35mm scale figures to our collection!

Lots of people asked us to include this smaller scale so they can play with them and we finally got to adapting some of the sculpts! We created two new pledge levels, but also added some of these figures as gifts for the large scale backers! This is the new pledge structure as of this writing:

What do you think about these? Be sure to check out our campaign, it's only up until Friday! https://bit.ly/echoesofcamelot

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
If you bring 'em down to 28mm, I'd have a go. They look great, finely detailed, with a lot of peripheral elements to add to the mood. But they look more "barbarian" than  "Arthurian" in my book.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
To me they evoke neither the medieval feel of the chivalric romances, nor the gritty post-Roman world of the older Welsh legends. Sorry, but to me they just look like fantasy figures that have had the word Camelot tacked on to them for some name recognition. Not getting an Arthurian vibe in the slightest.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
To me they evoke neither the medieval feel of the chivalric romances, nor the gritty post-Roman world of the older Welsh legends. Sorry, but to me they just look like fantasy figures that have had the word Camelot tacked on to them for some name recognition. Not getting an Arthurian vibe in the slightest.

My thoughts exactly and I couldn't have put it better.
Clever looking figures but not my cup of tea at all.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
I’m with Plynkes. Very beautiful figures, but very little to connect them to anything Arthurian. Bit of sub-Roman leatherwork here, a glimpse of a Celtic symbol there. Apart from that, pretty much every design influence and visual reference is pure high fantasy.
Lovely creations and perfectly valid in their own right. But a long way from Camelot in any of the accepted senses of that most famous of mythic / legendary / pseudo-historical settings, be it sub-Roman warlord or chivalrous fairytale knights in shining armour.

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
And why so much "scale creep"? Sure, I started out modelling in the 70s with "true 25s" and was already grumbling about the shift to 28mm in the early 80s. Nowadays, I'll be the first to agree that a 28mm figure is a heck of a lot easier to paint (in terms of details, faces, eyes and so on) than a true 25. But I don't really want 32mm, 35mm or 38mm figures on my table, unless they are ogres or something similarly large, from the fantasy setting.

I guess us old grognards have to find *something* to complain about, or we just don't feel right.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
35mm. Now you're talking  8).
Leadhead

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
Hmmm - clearly you have a lot of 3d modelling skill, however there is almost nothing "Arthurian" to my mind about these figures. I think you really need to know when to stop! Very over the top. Now that's a big draw for many people, but not for me, nor i suspect for people looking to add your figures to their existing armies which will all predominantly be 28mm and differently proportioned to the space marine type humans you have there.

best of luck with the kickstarter though - you've clearly blown away your expected fund raising target - I hope you are ready for the nightmare of delivery!! :-)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 11:14:31 AM by Brandlin »

• Lurker
Hi again! We're entering the last 24 hours of the campaign and we wanted to share the news :D

So far we have unlocked the whole collection on 35mm scale. Here's a snapshot of all of them:

Please note that only the first four are actually adapted to the scale so far, the rest are the renders for the 75mm version. We will adapt them soon. If you want to see how the detail translates to a smaller scale, and how the scale compares to other game figures, here's a comparison picture:

As you can see, 35mm sounds intimidating but really, many games who originally started as 28mm have been moving up to 32mm and 35mm. We players still call them 28 sometimes because it's convenient, but it's not always exact.

So if you're interested in these, here are the pledge levels and add-ons how you can get them:

And this is the link for them: https://bit.ly/echoesofcamelot :)

By the way, do you like busts? Because we're about to unlock a bust:

Now, on to your comments:

If you bring 'em down to 28mm, I'd have a go. They look great, finely detailed, with a lot of peripheral elements to add to the mood.

Thank you so very very much :-* we're putting tons of effort into these, really pushing our limits in very much every sense of the word. It's definitely showing, people are loving them, and now very close to the end of the campaign we're very tired but very very satisfied. We're truly humbled by the amazing response, we had other succesful campaigns in the past but this is much better than we expected.

But they look more "barbarian" than  "Arthurian" in my book.

Yes, some people say things like those. We understand that no two people have the same vision of anything specifically. Perhaps even though we toned down our fantasy level we're still on the quite fantastic side; well, fantasy is what we do. We have some historic figures in our online store, although not many: https://shop.bigchildcreatives.com/index.php?id_category=25&controller=category&id_lang=1 but for this one, we wanted to retain some fantasy elements.

We understand that we can't be 100% to the taste of everyone, but we appreciate that people are enjoying them nontheless :)

And why so much "scale creep"?

Because of the detail. We understand that people can have issues with scale creep and we see where they come from, but we have to make a decision. Mmost of our audience are more artists and collectors than they are players, this is one of our first approximations to somewhat game scale minis (for our own figures that is, actually we've been making tons of game scale figures for clients such as CMON) and so far our 35mm figures have been selling nicely; and since our brand is about art and detail, we don't really find it fitting to cap ourselves further than necessary, especially since games are not doing it either.

In short, we'd love to please everyone but since we need to choose we'd rather that those who are already loyal customers get the high detail figures that they support us for and players  who want to include Lancelot into their armies just add him as a tall person :P

I hope you are ready for the nightmare of delivery!! :-)

We are ready ;) this is not our first rodeo, our team is bigger now and some of the latest pledges have been warned that their delivery will arrive around March rather than December.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
I must say, the Green Knight is an absolute corker. The painted version is sublime.