Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:08:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686467
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Thinking About Orcs  (Read 5074 times)

Offline arabianknight

• Bookworm
    • Skirmish Supplies
Re: Thinking About Orcs
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 10:57:15 AM »

Staying with the classics theme I picked an 80's Citadel Orc Champion as my next victim. In an "old meets new" way I thought I'd brave some G.W. Contrast Orc Flesh on him. The results were poor, with the heavy pigments saturating even the generous muscular sculpting of this veteran. So out came an old citadel paint. I don't know what the colour's name is as it is 25+ years old and came in a box set so had no label on it! It has brought the flesh up to a bright old school green which is quite effective with the dark contrast paint still in the deep crevices  - so big grins all round!

I'll need to source a shield for him later.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 10:58:48 AM by arabianknight »

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 12:19:51 PM »
Enjoying the thread!

My favourite way of painting green Orcs is a yellow wash over white, followed by a green wash. Gives a nice tone. Im always quite partial to other colour Orcs too, Blue, Red and of course Khaku, can all look great.

Offline arabianknight

• Bookworm
    • Skirmish Supplies
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 08:12:01 PM »
Thanks, Sir_Theo,

I'll have to try that wash method. Not one I'd come across. Sounds nice and quick too, a bonus since it's taken me weeks to finish the last one!!  ;D

Offline Macunaima

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 09:03:21 PM »
The best take on orcs that I have ever read is in the six issues of the comic book “Orc Stain”, available for Kindle or Comixology at a buck a piece.

Heavily influenced by GW orcs, these are definitely R-rated creatures (just for starters, they cut off each other’s genitals when the can and dice them up for coins. Teef? Nutin’ doin’. Gronches is where it’s at). It’s a very original spin on the race, however, and the artwork is beautiful. A great buy for six bucks!

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 10:00:15 PM »
Most of my orcs are more of a dark brown to red brown skin tone.

I think that a lot of the color tropes in minis came from early on where it was, mainly, skin colors that marked they were orcs...same as hobgoblins tended to be the red coloration, often using roman minis for them. Orcs ended up green there...

Offline arabianknight

• Bookworm
    • Skirmish Supplies
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2022, 08:07:56 PM »

Go, go project Necromancy!

My Orc painting project came to a sudden halt with this lad, A Standard Miniatures Mon-Oger Archer. Ironically I was trying to follow a suggestion and use just washes. "Nice and quick" I thought, but I just couldn't get it to look good and eventually lost the impetus.

Well after about 19 months (how time flies!) of ignoring him later, actually managed to knuckle down and finish! The skin, which was the point of the project, formula is long forgotten, but at least I feel I can move on again...

Offline arabianknight

• Bookworm
    • Skirmish Supplies
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2022, 10:17:09 AM »

I've just started stocking these Orcs in the shop ( https://skirmish-supplies.co.uk/page/search-results&keyword=RPE-02- ) - Ral Partha Gargantuan Orcs. Big, gnarly and savage looking. I really like them. When they came in I thought I'd quickly paint one up to show. So a black prime and a white zenithal highlight like all the cool kids are doing now before using Games Workshop Fyreslayer Flesh Contrast. It's resulted in a mean, dark finish which I like, but I may try a similar but different priming method to compare with on my next Orc.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2022, 11:26:48 AM »
I do like those Bob Olley orcs and I like the Dark brooding look you've given him.

I really need three Orc and Goblin armies. One for Bob Olley sculpts, one for Nick Lund sculpts and one for Perry twins/ Kev Adams sculpts. I love all three but they never, to my eyes, look right mixed together.

Offline arabianknight

• Bookworm
    • Skirmish Supplies
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2022, 02:38:48 PM »
I do like those Bob Olley orcs and I like the Dark brooding look you've given him.

I really need three Orc and Goblin armies. One for Bob Olley sculpts, one for Nick Lund sculpts and one for Perry twins/ Kev Adams sculpts. I love all three but they never, to my eyes, look right mixed together.

Yes I know, either you give up like I have in this thread or you find one with a large enough range! Best do the Kev Adam's one last though, that's a never ending project!!  o_o

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2022, 03:49:28 PM »
I really like the collection of Reaper orcs I picked up a few years back, I think from the Dungeon Dweller line.  The same ones should be released in the new SioCast (Bones USA), etc.

They're excellent.  Mine are metal, but I'll be adding to them with the Bones USA ones if/when they show up.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2022, 08:40:18 AM »
Elbows

That’s a fantastic group of figures you have there.  Beautifully painted too!

Dan

Offline arabianknight

• Bookworm
    • Skirmish Supplies
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2022, 12:36:25 PM »
Elbows

facially they remind me of the Warlords Of Erehwon Orcs, but with more heft. Very Nice!

Offline arabianknight

• Bookworm
    • Skirmish Supplies
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2022, 08:51:52 PM »

A Grenadier Orc with Halberd. As I hinted at in the previous orc, I gave this one an intermediate angled prime of grey between the black and white zenithal before following mostly the same colour scheme to see if it would be a bit less dark. It seems to have worked to a certain extent, the large amount of chain mail on this lad maybe lessens the impact. One thing I've taken from this figure however is that I'm going back to doing normal eyes, not just red fill. I much prefer it.