Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:48:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691066
  • Total Topics: 118369
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Roman Auxiliary figures?  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Roman Auxiliary figures?
« on: June 18, 2020, 01:11:43 PM »
Just having a ponder on the web pages..

Victrix plastic auxiliary troops look superb, but in the past I’ve owned the plastic Warlord auxiliary figures and thought these were good too.

My question is,
If you had the choice to buy new EIR auxiliary figures today, who would you choose?
Victrix,
Warlord,
Or another manufacturer in metal perhaps?

A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Roman Auxiliary figures?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 02:31:05 PM »
Just having a ponder on the web pages..

Victrix plastic auxiliary troops look superb, but in the past I’ve owned the plastic Warlord auxiliary figures and thought these were good too.

My question is,
If you had the choice to buy new EIR auxiliary figures today, who would you choose?
Victrix,
Warlord,
Or another manufacturer in metal perhaps?

I'd go Aventine in metal Tim. I don't own any of the Victirx stuff but they do look very good from what I've seen on't net.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 03:21:56 PM »
Lol! Aventine are nice, I’d forgotten about them.
Been away from ancients for quite some time.

Couple of questions on those figures,
What period off the Early empire are they actually set, Trajan?
Also the auxiliaries appear to be wearing a closed toe boot, am I seeing that correctly?
I’m certainly not an expert, just asking.
They look a little later than the Victrix figures.

Aventine seem remarkably cheap, and not much more expensive than the Victrix plastics!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 04:57:57 PM »
Lol! Aventine are nice, I’d forgotten about them.
Been away from ancients for quite some time.

Couple of questions on those figures,
What period off the Early empire are they actually set, Trajan?
Also the auxiliaries appear to be wearing a closed toe boot, am I seeing that correctly?
I’m certainly not an expert, just asking.
They look a little later than the Victrix figures.

Aventine seem remarkably cheap, and not much more expensive than the Victrix plastics!

I'm no expert, or even a novice on the Early Empire but I did notice that they came with different head options.

If you need any more info contact Keith at Aventine- he's a lovely guy and very helpful too boot.

Offline cadbren

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 08:34:51 PM »
I don't have Roman figures from either but I do have Celts from both.
The Aventine fighting poses are similar in size to Victrix but the static poses are shorter.

Aventine auxiliaries would be better for shield walls, ranking up as they're standing up with shield forward and have different helmets and armour types. They also have archer sets.
Victrix have more variety in poses and are more useful for skirmish games with their flaming torches for burning villages down, most appear in casual walking poses and all of them can be given wolf pelts to wear - was that a thing? Looks really interesting anyway.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 05:24:18 AM »
Good morning. I have Aventine Seleucids and Victrix Gauls and having sized them up they are pretty similar in height, with Victrix being a tad larger. The Victrix Gauls are much bigger than my Warlord metals.

From what I know the Aventine EIR range cover from Trajan to Marcus Aurelius, so basically the 2nd century AD. The figures mainly have the helmets with the cross-brace protection which convention says was introduced during the Dacian war following experience fighting Falx-armed warriors. The Legionaries are divided into those suitable for Trajan and those for Marcus Aurelius. The Auxilia all fall under the Trajanic list but I am pretty sure can be used later. The big difference by the time of Marcus Aurelius is the Legionary Helmet.

For what its worth I really like Aventine. I have their Republican Romans and Seleucids, and am planning an early Byzantine army.  They have lots of character and suit my painting style         

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 09:18:08 AM »
The guy to ask would be Simon Miller, the BigRedBat.

I have Warlord Auxiliaries and I would recommend Aventine as they are metal, sculpted well and compared to Foundry, priced a lot better and when one considers future value, metals will always be worth more than plastics.  Not to mention better sculpting with deeper undercuts and durability.

I guess we should ask what years/emperor/battles/foes you are looking at?

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 09:36:14 AM »
Wymers, totally agree. Foundry are nice but at £2 a figure ridiculously priced vs Aventine. I love painting Aventine for the reasons you state plus they are full of “character”.

I have bought and assembled a Victrix force of Gauls for “Infamy”. Nice-ish figures but I am completely de-motivated regarding painting them and they may soon be on E-Bay.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 01:54:14 PM »
How do the Victrix EIR auxiliary cavalry size up? Are they giants like the Republican Roman cavalry?

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 02:17:21 PM »
I am very impressed with the Victrix allied legions. They were easy to put together and needed very little cleaning up (mould line etc). I have posted a couple of pictures in the "Bronze age winter war" thread that i stared here on this board today.
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/