Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:41:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689769
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Where can I watch Miniature Wargaming: The Movie ?  (Read 2054 times)

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
Where can I watch Miniature Wargaming: The Movie ?
« on: June 19, 2020, 01:52:14 PM »
So a year or so a go the was a documentary made called Wargamming the movie or something like that. It was released to backers of the kickstarter, and was going to be released generally... but 2 years on I cant find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can rent the movie, or stream it, or watch it somehow ?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:50:41 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Where can I watch Wargamming the movie ?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 05:52:35 PM »

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Miniature Wargaming The Movie isn't available yet... There's a trailer here; https://vimeo.com/ondemand/mwtm
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
Re: Where can I watch Wargamming the movie ?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 09:36:30 AM »
I Facebook messaged them and it’s been delayed due to Covid, but will be avaiablefoe general release soon.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Where can I watch Miniature Wargaming: The Movie ?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 05:42:01 PM »
I watched it today on Apple TV.....for $8.04.

I found that there was a little too much “fluff” - people’s backgrounds, getting to and from conventions, etc - and not really enough on how to get into gaming.

That said, it does show how the smaller companies struggle to get their products into the mainstream of gaming.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 11:24:43 PM »
Watched it on Amazon. Thought it started well but bogged down in the second half.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »
I backed the Kickstarter, mostly because I like to encourage any initiative to bring knowledge of the hobby to a wider audience.

But I found that, while it does highlight several individual takes on wargaming, it does little to show how the hobby works on a greater scale, nor does it explain the aspects of the hobby most of us non-sellers experience.

That being the building and converting armies and terrain, the social aspects of a regular gaming night, etc. It does show how dedicated individuals struggle to make ends meet and maintain a 'normal' social life while trying to get their fledgling company off the ground. It shows them preparing for conventions, juggling family responsibilities and in one case PTSD.

I had hoped that it was a nice introduction into the hobby for anyone not into it, but regretfully, that's not the case. Without at least a basic knowledge of the wargaming niche, a lot of aspects and insights of the documentary will be lost.

The production values are great though, and it's an easy watch throughout (even if I have to agree with it bogging down somewhat in the second half).

So I enjoyed it, but was it worth the price of admission (i.e. pledging for the DVD in the Kickstarter)? Not for me; I've watched it just once and regretfully, I find it not suitable as an introduction to those not in the know (my wife for instance ::) )...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 10:36:37 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 05:05:34 PM »
Watched it on Amazon

You did? I don't see it listed on Amazon Prime at all. Maybe because I'm ".ca".