Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:12:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 13th earl oxford, red or orange ?  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: 13th earl oxford, red or orange ?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2020, 06:05:45 PM »

The colour difference between the sheets is probably a printing artefact.  Plus the Oxford livery flag doesn't use the blue boar but a white sun which may have been an earlier badge.

Thus the confusion with Oxford’s Star and Edward IV’s Sun in Splendour at Barnet. :)

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2020, 07:57:54 PM »
Know your standards from your heraldic & livery flags - https://blog.vexillia.me.uk/2020/05/flags-types-during-war-of-roses.html

Just for those who are confused you know.

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 09:05:08 AM »
Ok thanks. Orange. Interestingly, the Perry infantry box has a bunch of liveries and Oxford's is Red with a blue and white star. Not saying perry top trumps freezywater, but that’s probably where I got red from in the first place. There’s so many red liveries, doing oxford as orange is probably a good idea anyway.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2020, 09:13:39 AM »
Ok thanks. Orange. Interestingly, the Perry infantry box has a bunch of liveries and Oxford's is Red with a blue and white star. Not saying perry top trumps freezywater, but that’s probably where I got red from in the first place. There’s so many red liveries, doing oxford as orange is probably a good idea anyway.

If you are of a mind to get the colour selection right then I would highly recommend you buy a copy of Standards, Badges & Livery Colours of the Wars of the Roses, Pat McGill & Jonathan Jones from the Lance and Longbow society here:
https://lanceandlongbow.com/shop.php

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2020, 09:37:08 AM »
Ok thanks. Orange. Interestingly, the Perry infantry box has a bunch of liveries and Oxford's is Red with a blue and white star.

This is either a reproduction error, a confusion of tawney with red, or a bad colour choice.  Easy done.

For example the Wargames Foundry download featuring livery flags has two versions Oxford's livery as orange/blue boar & orange white star with lots of others in red and murrey.  This shows how close the colour choices can be.

Be aware that the Tudor livery on page two is wrong: the white & green should be reversed.  I haven't checked the other two-colour liveries (they may have made the same error).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:39:56 AM by vexillia »

Online Osmoses

• Scientist
    • Tenka Fubu: Sengoku Jidai 'blog
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2020, 10:53:04 AM »

The Freezywater book on Standards, Badges and Livery has Oxford and John Mowbray, Duke of Norfolk pictured in what looks like red, but the accompanying text makes clear it should be tawney for both. Perry may have copied the image without referring to the text.