Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:17:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: British Tank Markings - A Guide  (Read 23600 times)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
Re: British Tank Markings - A Guide
« Reply #195 on: May 20, 2021, 07:01:21 AM »
A huge applause for your efforts I must say

Cheers
Matt

Offline SquireBev

• Bookworm
« Reply #196 on: May 20, 2021, 07:59:49 PM »
A huge applause for your efforts I must say

Cheers
Matt

Thank you :)

I've uploaded a PDF version of the Complete Timeline as it stands. Just the Guards and 1st Armoured Divisions at the moment. I thought I'd seek feedback on the general layout before proceeding any further!

https://uktankmarkings.files.wordpress.com/2021/05/complete-armoured-divisions-timeline-v0.1-1.pdf

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2021, 09:47:23 PM »
Fantastic work as always!

I was just wondering though; do you really need to list all the periods when someone was standing in for the GOC?  I think that'll send you mad, because unit routine orders are stuffed full of that stuff when you look deeply into it.  It was basically due to the CO being on leave, away at a course, sick, etc.  The GOC was still the GOC during those periods, but authority of command would temporarily be transferred for the purposes of Army Law while the GOC was away.  I'd be tempted to ignore those acting commanders, unless they were in post as interim acting GOC in between two different GOCs (e.g. due to the previous one being killed/sacked/transferred).
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline SquireBev

• Bookworm
« Reply #198 on: May 20, 2021, 10:16:07 PM »
Yeah, you're right. It is a bit much. Some of the appointments are only for a couple of days.

I'm basically just transcribing Joslen, and he does specify when commanders were wounded/killed/captured, so I can probably cut it back to just those instances and preserve my sanity a bit longer!

Offline SquireBev

• Bookworm
« Reply #199 on: May 22, 2021, 01:51:39 PM »
2nd Armoured Division added, and I've removed the excessive detail in GOC changes.

https://uktankmarkings.files.wordpress.com/2021/05/complete-armoured-divisions-timeline-v0.2.pdf

As I'm doing the Divisions in numerical order, I'm not relishing the next two. The 7th in particular could get VERY messy.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #200 on: May 22, 2021, 05:41:59 PM »
Wonderful work you have done.
I am doing some painting on some 1st Armour Div. tanks.
Some very useful information.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #201 on: May 22, 2021, 07:43:09 PM »
2nd Armoured Division added, and I've removed the excessive detail in GOC changes.

https://uktankmarkings.files.wordpress.com/2021/05/complete-armoured-divisions-timeline-v0.2.pdf

As I'm doing the Divisions in numerical order, I'm not relishing the next two. The 7th in particular could get VERY messy.
Superb work!  You might be madder than a sack of angry cats, but we need you to keep doing the Lord's work!  :D

Offline SquireBev

• Bookworm
« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2021, 12:40:47 PM »
6th Armoured Division added: https://uktankmarkings.files.wordpress.com/2021/05/complete-armoured-divisions-timeline-v0.3.pdf

The 7th takes up three times as many pages in Joslen, so it might take a while!

Offline SquireBev

• Bookworm
« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2021, 09:05:14 PM »
The 7th takes up three times as many pages in Joslen, so it might take a while!

Or not!

https://uktankmarkings.files.wordpress.com/2021/05/complete-armoured-divisions-timeline-v0.4.pdf

As I've only covered official movements rather than temporary attachments, it was considerably less stressful than expected.

Offline SquireBev

• Bookworm
« Reply #204 on: June 08, 2021, 04:46:08 PM »
Good news! I've finally got my hands on a copy of the expanded edition of Hodges and Taylor. It contains a LOT of extra information, especially covering North Africa and Italy.

Once I've finished the OOB visual timeline I should be able to make quite a few updates to the Division and Corps AoS diagrams.

Stay tuned!

Offline SquireBev

• Bookworm
« Reply #205 on: June 12, 2021, 03:21:10 PM »
Update:

• Added 11th Armoured Division
  • A couple more minor corrections

Latest PDF version: https://uktankmarkings.files.wordpress.com/2021/06/complete-armoured-divisions-timeline-v0.8.pdf

Feedback, corrections, comments, all welcome as ever!

I'm on the home straight now, with just the 42nd and 79th Armoured Divisions to do. It should be fairly plain sailing, as the 42nd never left the UK, and I've already done most of the heavy lifting for the 79th anyway: Formation Timelines

Offline SquireBev

• Bookworm
« Reply #206 on: June 13, 2021, 08:53:13 PM »
Update:
  • Added 42nd Armoured Division
  • Added 79th Armoured Division

Latest PDF version: https://uktankmarkings.files.wordpress.com/2021/06/complete-armoured-divisions-timeline-v0.9.pdf

Feedback welcome as ever.

And that's it. All British Armoured Divisions covered. I'm hoping to eventually cover Commonwealth divisions as well, so stay tuned.

I'm sure there's still more to be done anyway, hence it being v0.9...

Offline SquireBev

• Bookworm
« Reply #207 on: June 20, 2021, 01:49:37 PM »
Afternoon all!

Using the wealth of extra information from the 2nd edition of Hodges & Taylor I've made a start on updating some of the Middle East diagrams. See below:

Armoured Division - September 1941
A couple of minor issues with this one:
No evidence of any infantry in the support group - presumably because both battalions have become Motor Battalions in the armoured brigades instead but the official structure hasn't yet been updated to reflect this?
No mention of which units have a LAD attached.
Both armoured brigades and the support group are listed as having a Recovery Section, Light Recovery Section and Ordnance Field Park Section attached, using the appropriate colours, but I'm not sure whether this was part of the official structure or a field expedient.

Infantry Division - September 1941
Again no mention of which units have a LAD attached.
No mention of a divisional RAOC workshop either

Corps - September 1941
A couple of minor issues with this one:
No mention of an overall Corps cash office
Again no mention of which units have a LAD attached.
Confusion over whether Mobile Bath Units came under RAMC or RAOC. Some suggestion that RAMC was responsible for laundry and bath on bases and depots, while RAOC was responsible for the same in the field?

As ever, feedback, comments, corrections all VERY welcome.