Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:33:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690595
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Explosions Help  (Read 1502 times)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Explosions Help
« on: October 02, 2020, 04:25:22 PM »
Made these explosions some time ago. More or less happy with how they look. Just found them a pain to do. Gluing tree foliage to wire spears and then spray painting black. Used a whole spray can and there are still bits of green showing in places.

Anyway I am still finding them a bit fragile with bits of “foliage” coming off. I want to seal them in some way to lock all the foliage material in place. I was hoping you could get a spray on PVA? I have tried spray on varnish but that seems to just get soaked up with little improvement.

Any suggestions?

PS - I wish someone would make these things to buy commercially. If you can buy trees, why can’t you buy explosion markers? I would rather focus on painting figures than mess about with this sort of thing!  >:(
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 04:32:08 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Explosions Help
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 04:30:39 PM »
Sometime back Hammers did a very good run through on explosions and Overlord did something similar for a flamethrower - both might have been “build something” competition threads. Might be worth searching them out.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 04:54:21 PM »
Soak them in diluted pva (50/50) and allow to dry for about a week. Should come out as strong as anything :)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 04:56:19 PM »
Go to B&Q garden section...pick up a 500ml spray bottle for £1.  Mix your own pva and water.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 02:43:54 AM »
John Bond has some scratch built explosions on his blog 15th May 2018.
He uses wire, clump foliage, pipe cleaners and coarse turf mounted on a steel washer.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 10:49:19 AM »
John Bond has some scratch built explosions on his blog 15th May 2018.
He uses wire, clump foliage, pipe cleaners and coarse turf mounted on a steel washer.

That’s more or less how I have done them. As Eric mentioned, if I do them again I will soak each wire in PVA 50/50 solution. Not so easy now they are based up. From what I have read, spraying an 50/50 PVA solution isn’t easy either being still quite viscous. Thinking of trying a standard spray on glue.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 11:23:50 AM »
...  Overlord did something similar for a flamethrower - both might have been “build something” competition threads. Might be worth searching them out.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=75228.30

Clump foliage threaded onto a wire, gluing as you go.  Then soaked in thinned PVA and left several days to completely dry out.  I painted it by hand, the PVA surface seals the foliage so that it doesn't absorb paint.  The PVA really provides a tough exterior; so far no damage or shedding at all.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 12:32:06 PM »
Off the top of my head .
Bud's Blast Markers. It's a U.S. based company . Not had much to do with them in a while.( used them for a private commission . I don't have any myself simply because I didn't have a use for them at the time . Wish I'd bought some now. ::))
From what I understand they've been out of stock for a while. But are due back in stock December(ish).
 Even if it doesn't fit your time scale. They're definitely worth looking at . Just for inspiration alone.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 12:55:42 PM »

Clump foliage threaded onto a wire, gluing as you go.  Then soaked in thinned PVA and left several days to completely dry out.  I painted it by hand, the PVA surface seals the foliage so that it doesn't absorb paint.  The PVA really provides a tough exterior; so far no damage or shedding at all.

Clearly the soaking in PVA solution was the stage I missed. Now they are based up it is where to go from here I need help with. Perhaps I will look at unbasing and soaking them and also adding black paint to the solution would help with painting once dried?

Thanks for tip Tin Shed. Some nice looking things on the website.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 01:14:25 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 03:46:55 PM »
I have also hade good luck sealing the outside of trees and bocage that I have made with the various clump foliage with the clear rubber spray sealer they sell for use on boats and gutters.

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 05:34:03 PM »
I have also hade good luck sealing the outside of trees and bocage that I have made with the various clump foliage with the clear rubber spray sealer they sell for use on boats and gutters.

Thanks for the tip  :)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 06:02:56 PM »
I used Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement - an absolute pain using an eye dropper but better late than never.

Litko have some acrylic ones and Shapeways have some for sale.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 08:39:30 AM »

What he said, basically.

What I learned from making this....

...was that

1. Look at a lot of reference photos of  what you are trying to do.
2. Rather than using green foliage is better to make and colour your own sponge flock by shredding a piece of neutrally coloured mattress foam in a mixer together with paint
3. Use black paint and PVA for the foam if you want a smokey detonation, yellow (or maybe white) if you want to make a streak of napalm or dragon fire
4. I  must admit that my blast above has not held up  ideally well to the ravages of time. I think Pauls (Overlords) suggestion to apply a generous amount of watered down PVA is what I would do now.
5. if you want to do tendrils of smoke emerge from the central blast, use bamboo skewers. Don't forget to paint them black.
6. I used a hot glue gun to fasten the foilage to the skewers
7. I really recommend painting the thing with rattle can and/or airbrush. I sprayed the above blast with a few passes of black, then a light zenith layer of grey, then white. For the "hot" center I use an airbrush with successive layers of white, yellow, orange and red and a few touchups of black where needed.
8. Question the good taste in adding a dead pathan and a torn apart horse in the bomb blast.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2020, 08:42:16 AM »

Still quite a looker, that streak of dragon's breath.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2020, 09:33:36 AM »
Thanks Hammers. From your and Overlords tips I am tempted to have another go  :)