Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:40:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 618
Total: 625

Recent

Author Topic: Finding the Best Miniatures Wargaming Table  (Read 1326 times)

Offline MustContainMinis

• Librarian
    • Must Contain Minis
Finding the Best Miniatures Wargaming Table
« on: June 26, 2020, 07:05:16 PM »
I am in the process of planning my gaming space. Part of that process is updating the 7.5' by 3.75' homemade ping-pong table that I currently use as a gaming to a table to something 6' by 4' and nice. True, just having a gaming table is nice, but I want a showcase piece that I can use for better product pictures on my site.

Over on my site, I take a look at 4 Designer Tables, 4 Custom Build options and a number of Self Build options for a gaming table. I also outline the criteria that I am after for this gaming table. Come on over and take a look at the article! It is over 2,800 words, so it is a long one!

https://mustcontainminis.com/2020/06/finding-the-best-miniature-wargaming-table.html
Check out my site Must Contain Minis. I do news, previews, showcases and reviews of miniatures and miniature related products.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Finding the Best Miniatures Wargaming Table
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 07:23:32 AM »
A long article but a very interesting one, some lovely table ideas there and it gives you plenty of options within your price range. Be interested in seeing what you go for and what the final table looks like. :)

Offline MustContainMinis

• Librarian
    • Must Contain Minis
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 01:46:30 AM »
I will be sure to update everyone when the time comes. I think it might be still a year out, but wanted to start my research now. It's a good thing too. One of the options I looked at are actually booked up until 2021 right now. Another is likewise booked up for most of the rest of the year.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 03:24:34 AM »
My gaming group was blessed with a member who understood carpentry (sadly he passed way too young).  He build two 6x8 tables on wheels with a two foot connector for joining them. The gaming area of each table was 4x8 with a one foot lip on each "long" side for drinks, figures or books with storage underneath.  Solid sturdy work that has lasted for decades but definitely not what one would call furniture.  It worked for us as it was in a basement dedicated to gaming (and laundry).  Definitely not where guests roamed.   lol

My painting table is hidden in my basement office.  A simple 8x3 plastic table has done well for quite a few years. Of course only my kids & their friends ever saw my painting table so I never had much of a bar to clear for looks or organization.

Good luck on your project.  You have a lot of nice choices listed.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 07:59:09 AM »
I had slightly different requirements so went with the IKEA hack route.  Basically some Ikea shelving units screwed together as a base, mounted on casters then an expanding top from MDF.  It needed to be mobile so could be stored against a wall when not in use.  It needed to be able to shrink so we can use the room for something else.  It also needed to double as a crafting table (and my painting table.)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=117380.msg1468947#msg1468947

If you click onto the LAF post you can see aesthetics were not the prime concern (though painting the top would help.)

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 04:15:47 PM »
Very informative. A subject I have been considering for some time so this is helpful.

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 12:42:35 PM »
I will be sure to update everyone when the time comes. I think it might be still a year out, but wanted to start my research now. It's a good thing too. One of the options I looked at are actually booked up until 2021 right now. Another is likewise booked up for most of the rest of the year.

A thing to keep in mind while planning; There's a lumber shortage right now, caused by the world closing down for the virus.  It has had an impact on availability and price.  I can't imagine that the increased costs would not be reflected in products in the future.

I built my own table some years ago.  Woodworking is one of my hobbies, so that was enjoyable for me.  Prices what they are now, though, it's a hobby I've put on hold. 
- Scott

Offline MustContainMinis

• Librarian
    • Must Contain Minis
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 03:57:50 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses DS615. Noted about the wood shortage. I spoke to a few companies and some of them are pushing out their delivery dates. One of them can’t even deliver until 2021 at this point. Another is keeping up with current orders just fine, but is worried about materials and a possible Christmas time rush.

Fingers crossed, but it is a topic I will keep revisiting until I finish my gaming space and step out to find a table to complete the room.