Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:43:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Colonial South East Asian Adventure  (Read 7201 times)

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
Re: Colonial South East Asian Pulp Adventure
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 09:59:46 PM »
I commissioned a few figures for the Aceh Wars in the Dutch East Indies but due to lack of interest and limited financial resources I was forced to stop,at least for now. Here's the small range.  https://www.stevebarbermodels.com/store/Aceh-Wars-c36555085
Mark

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 12:48:16 PM »
Hi all,

Thank you very much for all the wonderful replies! I had no idea my little post would garner such a response.

Since my last post I have been doing some research into the region and time period of interest.
I think I have settled on the Dutch East Indies during the early 1900's - specifically, towards the end of the Aceh War (1873–1904), the occupation of Sulawesi (1905–06), and the subjugation of Bali in 1906 and 1908. In short: one of the final expansion periods of the Dutch colonial territories.

My grandfather grew up in the Indies during the 20's so the region has always been an interest of mine (plus, lots of reference images from my Great-Grandfather's personal collection  :-* )

Thank you all so much for the miniature recommendations! I am yet to fully explore all the options you've sent through, but I can already see some winners.
Special thanks to Diablo Jon, I'm a big fan of the Dayak warriors as a potential substitute for Acehnese warriors - great find!

I've come across both Tiger miniatures and Steve Barber models as well, although I have heard only negative reviews of the former, and the latter seem slightly off scale wise when compared to Foundry and Copplestone. I'll try to find some actual scale comparison pictures online though.

Now, onto some miniature choices/uniform design decisions I have made:

My collection will most likely be divided into 3 groups: Villagers/Citizens, Dutch colonial troops, and Acehnese warriors.

Citizens

This is my largest group thus far. I have been using Foundry and Copplestone and am waiting on some deliveries from Sally 4th (which I hope will be in the same scale..)
In addition to the image in my first post, I just finished another two characters for this group:

Acehnese Troops

Overall documentation of the period is rather.. limited. Few images exist, either in Dutch or English.
I have been able to find these reference images:

I'll probably be using these miniatures to represent the Acehnese:
https://www.eurekaminuk.com/collections/colonial/products/dayak-warrior-28mm (Thanks for the recommendation, Jon)
https://www.stevebarbermodels.com/store/Achese-Natives-Pack-1-x4-p147836008 (Thanks for the recommendation, Belgian & Marco55)
https://www.empressminiatures.com/fl4-tagalog-insurgents-with-firearms-469-p.asp (Thanks again, Jon!)

I will most likely also look into some boxer rebellion/vietnam ranger, as recommended!

Dutch Colonial Troops

This group has been a real hassle, but I think I've figured it out.
Until 1910 Dutch troops wore the same uniforms as their European counterparts - Dark blue, Wool uniforms (poor lads..)
While a quick google search will show several pictures with the green uniform shown below, this was used afer 1910, and thus does not apply.

Instead, the Dutch would have worn a dark blue uniform with pith helmet (as far as I can tell)
Sources disagree widely on the actual colour of the uniform.. ranging from an almost black...

...to a definite blue...

... to whatever this is...

Either way, I think I will stick with the dark blue/almost black, as this is also worn in modern ceremonial versions of the original uniforms (as seen above).
A variety of pictures also show officers with white trousers, different helmets, and much more variation, but I think the bike poster is the general aim.

As such, I have decided to paint one of my Copplestone German East Africa soldiers in the Dutch colours.
I haven't found a more suitable replacement for now, and the uniforms seem relatively similar. I can always convert some later if needed.

Apologies for the weird background colours, but my camera refuses to focus on a blue/back uniform when the background is either white or black..

I think I'm rather happy with the result, which wasn't easy to achieve..
One of my earlier test models can be seen below - looked more like a police officer than anything else!

Apologies for the long post, but I thought I would give a thorough update on progress!
In short: Dutch East Indies, 1900's.

Any feedback or comments are always welcome!

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 02:13:34 PM »
I believe the KNIL had their own uniform beginning in the 1890's   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KENqdtUqKNI
Mark
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 02:23:44 PM by marco55 »

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 02:23:03 PM »
I'd be keen to know what you are using from Sally 4th? Yes, Dayaks from Eureka is a good idea. You might want to look at Trent Miniatures for some of their Caribbean figures, some of them might suit albeit a bit too tall.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline GamesPoet

• Scientist
Re: Colonial South East Asian Adventure
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 04:51:57 PM »
Enjoyed seeing your posts with your figures, building, and the pictures of uniforms.  Thank you and will enjoy seeing your progress!

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2020, 11:42:18 PM »
Shtim, welcome to the group! Your figs and terrain pieces are awesome. The painting conversion of your German Marine works as far as I’m concerned.
Marco here on this group / thread has similar interests as you and has done lots of research on. I’m looking forward to your additional posts in this subject. Thank you for sharing your ideas and project.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 08:59:09 PM »
I really like the alternative paint scheme on that German miniature... it actually looks better than the historical German uniform colour to my eye. You get so used to seeing miniatures painted in their historical colours its quite cool when someone decides to do something different with them.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 10:38:53 PM »
love your painting. The germ... sorry the dutch marine in blue is superb.
I only have the lady in riding breeches is much modern for the stated era. However is a very nice figure nad most important is very nicely painted!

Dutch colonies in Asia include for a brief time Sigapore which later ceded alongwith the Malaya to Dritish and Borneo / Indonesia to the dutch. So, thinking of the multinational population of Sigapore, civilians would be drawn from all ranges of asian figures, indian and chinese. Even the pack of polynesian civilians by eureka can be useful to some extend ...
A minor inspiration could come from minis suitable for Sandokan adventures, as in here:
http://amemieidragoni.blogspot.com/2017/05/le-avventure-di-sandokan-soldatini-in.html

argsilverson

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 12:20:47 AM »
Argsilverson, that is a cool link. Thank you!

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 04:27:36 PM »
Excellent  8)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2020, 05:35:27 PM »
Hi all,

Thank you for the kind words, its very encouraging!
As per usual, I will make note of any miniature recommendations - do keep them coming!!

I'd be keen to know what you are using from Sally 4th? Yes, Dayaks from Eureka is a good idea. You might want to look at Trent Miniatures for some of their Caribbean figures, some of them might suit albeit a bit too tall.

For now I just wanted to try our some of their civilian characters. I don't know if I will actually 'use them' per se, but I just loved their 'Inspector' model in the Cafe Americain 2 set

I believe the KNIL had their own uniform beginning in the 1890's   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KENqdtUqKNI
Mark

Thank you kindly for the link! I've been using this channel, in conjunction with other sources for my 'research'.

love your painting. The germ... sorry the dutch marine in blue is superb.
I only have the lady in riding breeches is much modern for the stated era. However is a very nice figure nad most important is very nicely painted!

Dutch colonies in Asia include for a brief time Sigapore which later ceded alongwith the Malaya to Dritish and Borneo / Indonesia to the dutch. So, thinking of the multinational population of Sigapore, civilians would be drawn from all ranges of asian figures, indian and chinese. Even the pack of polynesian civilians by eureka can be useful to some extend ...
A minor inspiration could come from minis suitable for Sandokan adventures, as in here:
http://amemieidragoni.blogspot.com/2017/05/le-avventure-di-sandokan-soldatini-in.html

Thanks a lot! You're probably very right concerning the riding breeches, but I had it lying around so thought I'd give it a try  ;)
As per usual, thanks for the miniature recommendations, I will look into it!

Since my last post I have been working on some more Dutch East Indies Marechaussee troops, as used towards the end of the 1873-1904 Aceh war.
The bases obviously aren't done and some highlights are yet to be completed, but this was my last chance of the day for good lighting.

The 'commanding officer' is another German Copplestone figure, although I added the epaulettes myself using some plasticard. I think it works quite well?
I really do like the yellow, and am considering painting the others' epaulettes yellow/gold as well.... thoughts?

As per usual, the uniform is loosely based on historical photographs  ;D

That's it for now!

Thanks for reading!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 05:38:42 PM by Shtim »

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2020, 10:39:01 PM »
Shtim,
If you do Facebook do a search for Dutch Docu Channel. They post historical photos of the Dutch East Indies and the  KNIL on a regular basis, lots of inspiration.
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2020, 11:23:23 AM »
Very nice job on the Dutch,I built my army in the 1980;s using RAFM Riel rebellion British/Canadians for Dutch.,with a mix of old Frontier and converted Minifigs..the Eureka Dayaks are awesome..I have three units. Ditto that on the Dutch docu channel.,great scource.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 11:25:05 AM by juergen c. olk »

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2020, 11:23:25 AM »
Veery nice job on the Dutch,i built my army in the 1980;s using RAFM Riel rebellion British/canadians for Dutch.,with a mix of old Frontier and converted minifigs..the eureka Dayaks are awesome..I have three units. Ditto that on the Dutch docu channel.,great scource.