Forum > Model and Miniature Photography

Aperture

<< < (3/3)

Peithetairos:
Depending on the quality of the lens, you may run into issues with refractions on something like F/22, which can reduce sharpness. I prefer focus stacking these days, if I want to capture a large model in its entirety.

2010sunburst:
Some Canon cameras also have an A-dep setting whereby you can pick the closest and furthest points of focus and the camera will set up accordingly.  Depth of field is also influenced by the lens you use.  Wide angle lenses giving greater depth of field than telephoto lenses….

Zelmor:
I am doing photography of my models also, and have come to the conclusion that the edge values of the lens aperture should not be used due to distortions. They can go there if must be, but usually it's best to stay in the middle and play with exposure time. Here is a shot I made with a low aperture value of 1.2 or about (I use manual non-click lenses so I have no exif data in the file). My goal was to create depth by having one model in focus and all the rest gradually falling more and more out.

Doug ex-em4:

--- Quote from: Zelmor on September 09, 2023, 11:56:22 PM ---I am doing photography of my models also, and have come to the conclusion that the edge values of the lens aperture should not be used due to distortions. They can go there if must be, but usually it's best to stay in the middle and play with exposure time. Here is a shot I made with a low aperture value of 1.2 or about (I use manual non-click lenses so I have no exif data in the file). My goal was to create depth by having one model in focus and all the rest gradually falling more and more out.

--- End quote ---

What was the thinking behind having the out of focus model in the foreground? I ask because it doesn’t seem to fit in with what you said in your text:

--- Quote from: Zelmor on September 09, 2023, 11:56:22 PM ---My goal was to create depth by having one model in focus and all the rest gradually falling more and more out.

--- End quote ---

Thanks

Doug

Thargor:
Not my image, but  having a scene set up where there are models in the foreground and background creates more depth in your image.  Shooting "through" nearby objects creates more depth and having them blurrred directs the viewer onto the mid-distance subject rather than rather than allowing the eye to wander over lots of individual models with none as the main subject.  It's a technique that is used often by photographers.

All lenses will have an optimum aperture.  It is very rarely the lowest or highest values.  It's a bit like fuel efficiency in a car - it might be able to drive at 150mph and at 5mph,  but it's probably at it's best around 50-70mph.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version