Forum > Model and Miniature Photography

Aperture

<< < (2/3) > >>

Plynkes:
The camera I use has a function where you set the depth of field you want and it automatically calculates the exposure time. I have not as yet inquired of the manual about how to separately set the aperture value and the exposure time as mentioned above, as the automatic function has always been satisfactory so far. It's the best method I have discovered with this camera for taking group shots, so as to avoid that thing where one figure is in perfect focus and the rest are slightly out of focus. It has the added bonus that you can take nice pics of minis with ambient lighting (it can take pretty nice pics even in quite low light, it just takes forever to do it), thus avoiding the need for a complicated lighting set-up.

Tripod and either a remote or the timer function are mandatory for doing this, though. Even the vibration caused by pressing the button on the camera is enough to ruin such a shot due to the long exposure times required.

scatterbrains:

--- Quote from: Plynkes on June 27, 2020, 10:41:17 PM ---The camera I use has a function where you set the depth of field you want and it automatically calculates the exposure time.

--- End quote ---

Would that be the Aperture Priority mode?

Plynkes:
Yes. The little book calls it Aperture-Priority AE. On the camera dial where you actually select the mode this is abbreviated to AV (Aperture Value). Slightly confusing, but I guess they knew what they meant when they did it that way.

Hammers:
All good stuff.

Norm:
For that shot I would be inclined to go to f11 and pull the camera further back and then crop later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version