Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:50:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Old Glory 25/28mm Miniatures  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
Old Glory 25/28mm Miniatures
« on: June 29, 2020, 12:08:06 AM »
Hello Everyone -

I have been out of the wargaming world for several years now.  I'm slowly trying to get my mojo back and get going again.  I've been working on ancient Sumerians and WWI late war.

The last time I attempted to paint Napoleonics were over 15 years ago.  At that time I had to take somewhat of an early retirement due to health issues.  On my first day of "retirement" my wife gave me a card before she headed off to work.  Inside it was a gift certificate from Old Glory Miniatures.  Let's just say that the amount allowed me to purchase more minis than I'd ever be able to paint in a life time.  The Napoleonic minis alone allow for 12 to 15 units (based on Quarrie's 1:33 ratio) per main armies (British, French, Russian) and 8 to 12 units for smaller armies (Bavarians, Saxons, Wurtemburg).

The other day I dug all of these out of deep storage and took a look.  They are very 'old and dated' compared to what's available out there today.  They are also lacking a bit as well, visually - such as those from Front Rank or others - and range depth - such as no Spanish or Portuguese minis.

Are there any ranges out there that go well with the Old Glory minis or that can be used to supplement them and/or complement them?

I have been considering selling them and starting all over, just not too sure about that.  I'm one of those who really like my little armies to be in dress uniform as much as possible, yet not everyone carries them. I also prefer my minis to be metal, not plastic.
"May the dice of your God's roll like the breasts of your favorite concubine."  Graeme "Henry" Henderson, Dumfries c1980

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Old Glory 25/28mm Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 01:10:26 AM »
Old Glory have their good points, and it would seem a shame to sell them and start again (and expensive!)
Luckily there are lots of other ranges out there that will fit with them. (I am assuming you have 1st edition OG)
Are you in the UK?
The Redoubt range of Napoleonics are an almost perfect fit. I recently cleaned up a load of British from both OG and Redoubt side by side and once they were primed I actually couldn't tell which was which.
Eagle are another range that will match sizewize, (although their British are early sculpts and I don't like them as much as OG) and the Warlord ones I have seen will too.

Front Rank and Perrys are both very different to OG in proportions and style. Sash and Saber are a bit small.

If you are in the USA I hear Brigade are very good.

I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 02:09:23 AM »
Old Glory have their good points, and it would seem a shame to sell them and start again (and expensive!)
Luckily there are lots of other ranges out there that will fit with them. (I am assuming you have 1st edition OG)
Are you in the UK?
The Redoubt range of Napoleonics are an almost perfect fit. I recently cleaned up a load of British from both OG and Redoubt side by side and once they were primed I actually couldn't tell which was which.
Eagle are another range that will match sizewize, (although their British are early sculpts and I don't like them as much as OG) and the Warlord ones I have seen will too.

Front Rank and Perrys are both very different to OG in proportions and style. Sash and Saber are a bit small.

If you are in the USA I hear Brigade are very good.

Thank you!  I'm in the US.

I do like the OG minis, and yes, they are 1st edition.  Yet, some of the poses I don't care that much for.  I do enjoy how energetic some of those poses are!!!  I'm mainly hoping to supplement some of the poses I don't like for others and figured it'd be a good way to integrate a different manufacturer for some extra spice.

I have heard that OG 2nd editions don't fit in well with the 1st edition, but have no clue if it's true or not.

Had a feeling Front Rank and Perry wouldn't really fit, but am surprised about Redoubt minis - thanks!  I will also look at Brigade.

Offline Red Sveta

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 09:19:08 AM »
This utuber has some  videos that may help you. Personally I like OG miniatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQFw4juHxak

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 10:06:05 AM »
I find Old Glory are highly compatible with these:

https://www.bcf.com.au/fishing/fishing-tackle/sinkers-and-moulds

I’m sure there’s a local equivalent in the old Estados Unidos.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 01:46:21 PM »
This utuber has some  videos that may help you. Personally I like OG miniatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQFw4juHxak

Thanks!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 09:52:52 AM »
Some comparison pics. Sorry these were the best pics I could get, the miniatures are all matt black undercoated.

L to r: Front Rank, Old Glory 1st

Old Glory, Knuckleduster, Redoubt

Warlord (Rifles) Knuckleduster, Redoubt, Old Glory, Front Rank

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 11:33:36 AM »
 Mad Gadgeteer, I re-read your first post, do you have a plan of action for what you would like to do? And are you going Peninsular or 100 Days?

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 01:48:16 PM »
Looking at the old glory, I’m certain brigade would be a good fit.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 01:57:02 PM »

I find OG Napoleonics a bit hit or miss.  A friend painted some of the Russians and they turned out really well.   There were a few units of them mixed in with some units of Front Rank and I didn't really notice a difference until I looked closely.  I ended up trading for them and am happy to have them in my army.

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 05:29:46 PM »
Mad Gadgeteer, I re-read your first post, do you have a plan of action for what you would like to do? And are you going Peninsular or 100 Days?

Thank you so much!!!

I don't really plan my little armies, or battles, around a specific theater, such as Peninsula or 100 Days.  Mine are a bit more 'free spirited' you could say.

What I try to do is build each one to be a balance.  The "Napoleon's Battles" Introduction to Miniature Wargaming, as well as the "Tricolor" rules set, have great overall army breakdowns.  I'll start with those and then break branches/units down percentage wise and go from there.  The bigger armies, such as Austrian, British, French and Russian, are planned to have between 12 - 15 core units or more, just depends.  Smaller armies, such as Bavaria, Saxony, Wurtemburg, Westphalia and so on, will have anywhere between 8 - 12 units or smaller.

The units within each army will be varied as well.  For example, my Britsh army will be a mix of Peninsula and 100 Days uniform style with a larger percentage being Peninsular. 

IMHO - doing it this way will allow me to draw from a larger selection for more variety.

Another aspect I enjoy is the "what if" aspect.  For example... after Napoleon's Russian retreat, what if he asked the US to supply troops to help him out.  As you might guess, I do plan to build a small US army as well.  Can you imagine a European battle wherein the British, or Americans brought over some of their Indian allies?

The other reason I've planned my armies this way is for display purposes.  Most of my gaming revolves around collecting and displaying more than playing.  I am not aware of other miniature wargamers in my area that play the historical periods I enjoy.  All of those I'm aware of are mainly into modern wars with the earliest being WWII.  The latest I enjoy is WWI.

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 05:55:33 PM »
I find OG Napoleonics a bit hit or miss.  A friend painted some of the Russians and they turned out really well.   There were a few units of them mixed in with some units of Front Rank and I didn't really notice a difference until I looked closely.  I ended up trading for them and am happy to have them in my army.

THAT'S  the verbiage I was looking for - hit or miss.  Unfortunately there seems to be more "hit or miss" figures per pack than I like, so figured why not fill tge gaps with another brand. 

The other thing that annoys me about OG is the way they are packed...  Before I sat them aside I was working on a couple of Russian units, the Simbirsk Musketeer Regiment and the Pavograd Hussars.  You have any idea how many freakin' plumes were snapped off?!  They just dump the minis in those bags that over half the plumes were broken off. 

Anyway... don't suppose you'd be willing to share some pics of those Russians would you?

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 10:10:42 PM »

I'll see about doing that.

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 04:38:46 PM »

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist