Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:49:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting Tudorish MDF Buildings  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
Painting Tudorish MDF Buildings
« on: June 28, 2020, 10:35:35 AM »
I have been working on some MDF Tudor style buildings, I am planning enough to fill a Deepcut 6x4 mat at some stage.

I do not think I will be painting the inside of the buildings, most of the games thay are planned for do not require a detailed interior.

For the outside, there are plenty of inspirational images available in the Googleverse, most follow the same scheme, light walls and dark brown or black beams.

Before gluing it all together, I am painting the beams and stone first. The stonework has been painted black and then brushed grey.

The walls of the buildings have been painted using some cream paint I found in my garage, it is Sandstone Masonry paint, but works fine.

When it comes to the roof, most samples seem to be tiles in reds and browns.

Have any here used other colours such blues and greens for a tiled roof?

I was even thinking of an orange, I bought a B&Q tester pot as an option...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:50:34 AM by Coronasan »
So much to do, so little time...

Offline GamesPoet

• Scientist
Re: Painting a Tudorish MDF Building
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 05:00:36 PM »
Looks like good progress, looking forward to seeing more!

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 05:24:12 PM »
Who makes this?  Looks good and would be right at home within many eras.
"May the dice of your God's roll like the breasts of your favorite concubine."  Graeme "Henry" Henderson, Dumfries c1980

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 07:37:18 PM »
You could have dark blue-grey/greenish slates for the roof if your town was situated in a late area, like Wales.
Roof slates are heavy and awkward to transport. For any period pre-motor transport they tend to mainly be local material.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 09:50:23 AM »

I have still not decided on a roof colour, but the blue/grey option does sound like a good option. I went into B&Q recently to pick up some of the £1.30 tester pots, but the shelves were just about empty!

Who makes this?  Looks good and would be right at home within many eras.
These are my own designs, luckily enough, I have access to a laser cutter and have been drawing various things for a couple of years now.

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 10:14:58 AM »
Looks great!

I've been doing some half-timbered houses recently, and just started doing some research into the placing of beams and the design of the roof truss. It looks like you have used my previous method: placing the beams (both vertical and slanting) wherever it feels right. Although there is a lot of variation in real-life beam placement, I have discovered that in many cases there is actually a method to their madness. You may want to do as I did and google "medieval roof truss" or something similar, to get an idea of what was done historically.

Cheers,    --- PhilB

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »
I've been doing some half-timbered houses recently, and just started doing some research into the placing of beams and the design of the roof truss. It looks like you have used my previous method: placing the beams (both vertical and slanting) wherever it feels right. Although there is a lot of variation in real-life beam placement, I have discovered that in many cases there is actually a method to their madness. You may want to do as I did and google "medieval roof truss" or something similar, to get an idea of what was done historically.
Thanks Phil, I have viewed loads of images in the Googleverse and tried to copy some beam designs from actual buildings. But as you say, sometimes it more about what looks right. I have made the beams much thinner on my more recent designs.

I call my buildings Tudorish rather than Tudor, the design is steered by making sure the levels are easily removable and there is plenty of room for model bases.

I did find this image of beam designs, which has become my primary inspiration:

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 02:01:52 PM »
These are my own designs, luckily enough, I have access to a laser cutter and have been drawing various things for a couple of years now.

Cool...

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 10:50:09 AM »
I don't have the colour I want for the roof, but the rest of the building is pretty much done.

The levels are all interchangeable so I can get several different looks out of the building.

I was not going to paint the inside, but last night I knocked over a pot of wood brown making a bit of a mess, so I quickly grabbed a brush and slapped it on the floor of each level...

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Re: Painting Tudorish MDF Buildings
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 10:56:14 AM »
Building really Looks great! Is there enough texture on the roof to pick up drybrushing though?

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
Re: Painting Tudorish MDF Buildings
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 11:21:27 AM »
Building really Looks great! Is there enough texture on the roof to pick up drybrushing though?

I was just going to pick out random tiles to add a bit of detail. Here is another I am working on: