Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:41:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Undercoating and gluing plastic (and possibly resin)?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Undercoating and gluing plastic (and possibly resin)?
« on: June 29, 2020, 06:54:25 PM »
Any hints for gluing multi-part Reaper Bones figures and also what's the best option for undercoat?
I heard somewhere that Reaper plastic doesn't take well to spray primers?

Also any hints on undercoating stuff from 3D printers?
I guess they don't use mould release agent that old-school resins used to, but are there any primers to avoid on them?

Do the Whizzkids figures that say "ready-primed" on the blisters happily take paint, or should they be washed (and primed)? If they need further priming, any hints on what to use?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline MondayKnight

• Student
Re: Undercoating and gluing plastic (and possibly resin)?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 07:07:25 PM »
My daughter and I just got done painting (and assembly) our first bones figures ourselves. 

For assembly, I found super glue works just fine.

As for undercoats, I have the same worry, until my daughter showed my a label on the back that said "No Primer Necessary"  So, I gave it a shot on the packs with this label and I'll be damned, painted like a charm.  Now, I did find two older packs that did not have the label on the back and I just used a light coat of "The Army Painter" white primer and it worked great.

I did have the same luck with the two packs of "Whizzkids" figures we purchased as well.

I hope this helps.

-Will

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 07:54:29 PM »
Thank you.
Very reassuring.
Not had much experience of superglue - any of the old-school stuff I glued in the past were with (very slow drying) two-part epoxy adhesives that were a pain to use, or more recently contact adhesive (that seems to be almost impossible to find now).
Only have a couple for assembly.

I have a few blisters that do not say "ready primed"

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 08:02:45 PM »
As MondayKnight says, superglue is great with Bones miniatures.

I use Pebeo Black Gesso (dirt cheap - about a fiver for a huge tub) to undercoat them. It contracts as it dries, so you don't need to worry too much about applying evenly as long as you avoid huge blobs. They do take paint fine without, but I find that a solid black undercoat helps with all the nooks and crannies.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 09:14:50 PM »
Thank you for the Pebeo hint - I think we have their white gesso already, so might see if that suits any of the pieces.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 10:51:51 PM »
Thank you for the Pebeo hint - I think we have their white gesso already, so might see if that suits any of the pieces.

Ah - I'd be careful with the white. It's got a grainy texture and is much less smooth than the (very smooth) black. So you might find that the white gesso messes with the detail a little.

I think this is something common to most white primers; it's why the GW primers for contrast paints are off-white rather than white.

If you're not too fussed about fine detail or a bit of roughness, the white might be OK. But it's a very different beast to the black.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 10:55:33 PM »
Vallejo polyurethane brush on/airbrush primer works a treat on them. They can be painted without primer but I wouldn't recommend it.

And like others have said, cyanoacrylate superglue is the way to go.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 07:40:27 PM »
Thanks again