Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:56:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689716
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Macedonian/Successors project - (9/23 - Scythian Chieftain)  (Read 19938 times)

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
So as I've mentioned in miscellaneous threads, I started collecting and painting models around March of this year. I figured I'd start this thread to track my progress, as I don't have a blog or anything. My progress has been pretty slow because I'm learning as I go and am wary of going too fast...and ending up with a load of models done, but not being happy with the results, if that makes sense. I have also been working on a bunch of different things at once (including stuff from different areas of history) to help keep my motivation up just so I'm not doing the exact same thing for too long! I also figure with everything going on in the world, it'll still be quite a while until I'd theoretically even be able to play a game for the first time, so there's no hurry either  ;)

I've always been fascinated by the period between Phillip II and the Roman conquests in the east, so I decided to start my hobby off in the Successors period. I likewise figured there's enough "crossover" both time-wise and geography-wise when it comes to the armies that I would have a good bit of flexibility. I'm thinking my main force will be roughly Antiochus the Great-era Seleucids, but I'd like to also be able to portray a Greco-Bactrian army as well with a few extra pieces, maybe even dipping back into Alexander-era as well. And it couldn't hurt to have enough to field two armies, right? ;)

Anyway, as I said I'd like to use this thread to track my progress as I go. If you have any tips, pointers, constructive criticisms, etc., I am all ears! I'm still learning here, and lurking on this forum as well as browsing Jeff Jonas' website have been a great inspiration to me so far.

Here is my first "finished" unit that I'm more or less happy with, at least at my current skill level:

EDIT: I forgot to mention when I posted that the unit below is *mostly* Victrix's Successor Phalangites (with the "pants" modification), with a few Warlord Macedonian Phalangites mixed in to get the number up to 32 :)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 11:09:39 PM by Fremitus Borealis »
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
Re: My Macedonian/Successors project
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 06:56:08 PM »
A fantastic start, good to see that you got the ball rolling. Getting into Successors can be addictive given the range of units you can add and how colourfull some of the units can be

That unit looks really good

Offline scotty

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 07:04:57 PM »
Great looking regiment

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 07:58:52 PM »
That is really striking looking. 

Those Victrix models look the part.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 08:27:02 PM »
Very nice!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 08:37:08 PM »
Lovely  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 08:43:21 PM »
That's a great phalanx :-*

The way you're approaching the project, that is going slowly, is a very good strategy.

Will keep my eyes peeled on your interesting project  :)

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 08:58:09 PM »
Wow, thanks for the kind words, everyone! As I said though, I'm still learning really all facets of the hobby, so any suggestions/tips are greatly appreciated :)

Quote from: Doom Beard 78
A fantastic start, good to see that you got the ball rolling. Getting into Successors can be addictive given the range of units you can add and how colourfull some of the units can be
Yeah, that's the idea! I love the thought of being able to have phalangites, horse archers, elephants, Gauls, Thracians, and miscellaneous eastern "native" troops all in the same army  :D

Quote from: Corso
The way you're approaching the project, that is going slowly, is a very good strategy.
Thanks-- I figure as long as I'm always doing something, I will be improving in some way, right? ......which is how I rationalize that I'm currently "working on" like 15 different units/minis  lol

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 09:46:30 PM »
Thracians are a lot of fun to paint. As regards Elephants many of us are very partial to the Aventine resin range.

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 10:46:14 PM »
Thracians are a lot of fun to paint. As regards Elephants many of us are very partial to the Aventine resin range.

Funny you say that, because those are exactly the range I plan on getting, along with some of their cavalry, I think. I ordered a couple of their commander figures that I'm still waiting on (can't complain of course... I'm surprised the mail works *at all* these days, sometimes.)

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 09:54:15 PM »
Lovely unit, a good start I'd say. We haven't put paint to figure yet, still doing the research, but like you going for the Victrix route where possible.

Offline hallmarkFPS

• Bookworm
    • HALLMARK FIGURE PAINTING
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 10:58:44 PM »
Impressive unit!

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 11:28:14 PM »
Lovely unit, a good start I'd say. We haven't put paint to figure yet, still doing the research, but like you going for the Victrix route where possible.

Thanks! And yeah, Victrix really do have some lovely units. Having done a little bit with metals now I can see why some folks swear off plastics for one reason or another, but you just can't beat the realism with Victrix, from what I've seen. The only slight knocks I've heard/noticed against them are: 1) their models tend to be a bit bigger than others; I was working with the "Macedonian Heavy Cavalry" pack today, and it was striking how much bigger the models (especially horses!) were than some others I've accrued this year. Also 2) Maybe it's just the last couple ranges they've released and previewed, but there doesn't appear to be much variation in the heads of "hatless" figures; I swear I've seen the same guy in Gallic, Persian, German, and Dacian armies... maybe he's just a long-service mercenary or something lol

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 01:03:52 PM »
Fab work  :-*

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2020, 02:01:51 PM »
Ref the heavy cavalry, one of the group bought a sprue of these off eBay and man are they big! Nice but big  :)