Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:48:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Macedonian/Successors project - (9/23 - Scythian Chieftain)  (Read 19682 times)

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
Re: My Macedonian/Successors project
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2020, 06:24:54 AM »
Nice looking thorakitai :-*

Looking forward to your heavy cavalry :D

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2020, 07:01:01 AM »
Thanks 😁

I should be sharing some Victrix heavy cavalry in the next couple days. The poor horsies look a little crowded on the movement tray though, so I may have to fix that somehow.

Part of the problem of that type of movement tray is that it imposes a restriction on how you can base your figures. Infantry  units often look too dispersed or under strength and you are finding the opposite with your horse.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2020, 06:55:03 PM »
Part of the problem of that type of movement tray is that it imposes a restriction on how you can base your figures. Infantry  units often look too dispersed or under strength and you are finding the opposite with your horse.

Yeah, I'm seeing that (though part of the issue is the Victrix cavalry are all like 7ft tall riding horse-shaped elephants  lol ).

I'm still new enough that I'm not sure how to get around it. Guess I could just get/make a bigger tray, but then I might have the opposite problem?
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2020, 03:22:00 AM »
Yeah, I'm seeing that (though part of the issue is the Victrix cavalry are all like 7ft tall riding horse-shaped elephants  lol ).

I'm still new enough that I'm not sure how to get around it. Guess I could just get/make a bigger tray, but then I might have the opposite problem?

LOL.

Or use the situation to your advantage, in the same way some people do with multi-figure elements. Have one movement tray representing 6 figures even if there are only 5 models present on it?

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2020, 10:48:38 PM »
Done-ish with the "heavy" cavalry. These are from the Victrix "Macedonian Heavy Cavalry" range. I thought about painting them as normal Macedonian Hetairoi (with the yellow/purple capes Alexander gave them), but I just painted the officer figure with the "classic" cape; if these are Seleucids/Greco-Bactrians, maybe this guy's just going for that "classic look"?  ;) Otherwise, I loosely based them on this image http://turningpointsoftheancientworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/arius-river.jpg from Tristan Hughes' TurningPointsoftheAncientWorld.com.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 10:51:00 PM by Fremitus Borealis »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2020, 12:31:38 AM »
Nice project you got going here!

You are putting together quite an army.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2020, 02:21:55 AM »
The cavalry look just as good as the phalangites!  The lighting in your pictures is very nice.

I used extra heads from the Victrix phalangites on the Immortal/Warlord Greeks to make Hypaspists.  The Immortal/Warlord Greeks have “undersized” heads (anatomically proportioned) compared to most 28mm figures but the phalangites’ heads work well on them and the helmets tie them into the Macedonians. 

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2020, 11:10:00 AM »
Thanks, guys!

Yeah the lighting is pretty good because I do it ye olde fashione way.... With the Earth's yellow sun!  :D I can never get lighting to work well indoors for photography, so I just take the mini-men out to the picnic table. I also built a sort of diorama base out of an old dresser drawer bottom, some styrofoam, and some wall spackle just to help make the photos look a little more interesting than just a white piece of paper  :)

Anywho, next up are probably some more phalangites, though I'm picking away at some Gauls (I suppose "Galatians" in this case) right now as well. I've developed a system of sorts where I have multiple units primed so I can use any excess paint I had to mix on them (really helpful for skin tone, since it's hard to mix a small amount!), which gives me a decent head start.

I'm thinking of going Silver Shield with these next phalangites just so they're standard enough I can get through them a little quicker  :D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 11:54:27 AM by Fremitus Borealis »

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2020, 11:14:35 AM »
I try to take pics outside for the same reason!

Good work fella

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2020, 07:54:21 PM »
Good work on the cavalry - we are nowhere near painting stuff yet  :-[
Kind of confirms the view that the Victrix cavalry are a bit big so nothing can be mixed with them but compared to buying the equivalent in metal a considerable saving  :)

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2020, 08:30:46 PM »
Good work on the cavalry - we are nowhere near painting stuff yet  :-[
Kind of confirms the view that the Victrix cavalry are a bit big so nothing can be mixed with them but compared to buying the equivalent in metal a considerable saving  :)

Yeah I love the sculpts, but they're just so much bigger than everything else it's kind of crazy. I'm almost afraid to buy elephants now, only to see the horses come up to the elephants' heads  lol

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2020, 06:12:50 AM »
Nice work - well done!

The Victrix elephant kit is quite good - used it for my punics. I highly recommend it.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2020, 07:48:50 AM »
lovely brushwork Fremitus Borealis  :-*

I'm following this thread with great interest.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2020, 08:17:48 AM »
Yeah I love the sculpts, but they're just so much bigger than everything else it's kind of crazy. I'm almost afraid to buy elephants now, only to see the horses come up to the elephants' heads  lol

The elephants don’t look small. Perhaps the worry should be they will be like Oliphants from the Lord of the Rings movies ...

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2020, 02:00:41 PM »
Nicely painted.  Since you used Victrix for the Heavy Cavalry, they should look big. 

Now, use some smaller brand for the light cavalry and it will all make sense!   lol lol lol lol

I really enjoyed putting together and painting my Victrix models. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing