Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:25:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My Macedonian/Successors project - (9/23 - Scythian Chieftain)  (Read 19680 times)

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
Re: My Macedonian/Successors project
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2020, 04:29:22 PM »
I like them!

It was a great idea the way you made the shields, instead of plain silver.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2020, 10:12:22 PM »
Thanks! Yeah, I don't know how historical it is, but it's close enough for my tastes :D

On a related matter, today I started a small unit of eastern light horsemen. Man it's so satisfying knowing I'll probably be done in like 2 or 3 days, instead of a freaking month like with the phalangites lol
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2020, 10:24:15 PM »
Today I finished a small unit of eastern light cavalry. You know, the kind of interchangable, dirt-farming peasants who could hail from anywhere from Anatolia to the Indus  :D

The  figures are from Essex. Three are "Civic Militia" light cavalry, the other three are actually hippakontistai from the Greek range. I added Warlord phalangite shields to the latter just so they blended a little better together.

I tried to keep them from all wearing matching clothes, since these would be basically levies.

The shield designs are totally fanciful. I invented one of them to stand for "Bactra", i.e. Balkh. This was called something like "Bakhlo" in the Bactrian language, so I invented a shield design of the first three letters in Greek forming a symbol, based loosely on a similar design for hoplites from the Greek city of Acharnia I saw in AMPW (and I think an Angus McBride plate somewhere).

The ones that look kind of like the "pi" symbol are the letter "M" in the ancient Sogdian language, which I've here imagined as a symbol for troops from Marakanda (Samarkand). And the one that looks sort of like an "L" is the letter "S" in the same language. You know, for Sogdiana  :D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 02:43:41 AM by Fremitus Borealis »

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2020, 02:47:28 AM »
Oh, I should also mention, I made kind of a makeshift movement tray out of some scrap pieces of balsa wood, spackling, and sand. It's not precisely measured really, I just wanted something to stick them in that looked a bit "open-order-y", since I figure these type of cavalry would likely be open order most of the time, and I don't want them just sitting on my shelf individually :)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2020, 06:15:15 AM »
Great stuff, light cavalry are always handy

Cheers
Matt

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2020, 04:57:15 PM »
Essex still has some nice figures to augment Eastern Persians. One of the few metal lines in 28mm that still have a robust selection that follow *AMPW guidance. They have their quirks, but I like how you presented them and mixed and matched figures.

(*Duncan Head Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars).
JJonas

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2020, 09:48:55 PM »
Thanks, Matt!

@Jeff: Thanks, some of their figures look a little dodgy, but they are indeed the only company I've found that actually have a variety of "Bactrian" type units. As you say, AMPW-friendly! :D

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2020, 05:27:25 AM »
Nice work including basing!  :D

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2020, 02:01:34 AM »
Thanks!

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2020, 03:42:36 PM »
So, not finished obviously, but I decided to try out the green stuff on some Celts. I have had a box of Warlord Celts kicking around for a while, partially based, primed, etc. Decided to break them up into two units and still preserve that ragged, warband-y appearance. But it was bothering me how many identical twins there were, so... here we are  :D

I added capes, beards, and substantial manes to a bunch of the guys. Also, as I think was discussed in another thread, I swapped out a few heads with Victrix phalangites, since it stands to reason at least some of the guys would adopt some local gear eventually.

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2020, 11:54:01 PM »
So, just a minor update, since I've been slowly working on like 18 different things  :D

I recently got a few minis from Relic, including one of their Hellenistic officers, and realized if I added a beard, we bore a striking similarity with one another, so he leapt to the head of the queue  lol I added a ridiculously large beard (art imitating life here... ) and tried adding some ram's horns to the helmet, with about a 50% success rate :D

Anyway, here he is:

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2020, 02:24:34 PM »
Cool conversions! Thats a big beard there  lol
About the horns, if you use a wire armature and then build the detail in layers on top it will be easier.

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2020, 05:22:53 PM »
Cool conversions! Thats a big beard there  lol
About the horns, if you use a wire armature and then build the detail in layers on top it will be easier.

Good call on the horns! The one closest to his body, I thought I'd be able to hide it under the cloak a bit but ran out of space.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2020, 08:49:04 PM »
I would not worry too much about the horns.  They will pass the "Arm's Length" test that we play almost all of our games at anyway!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2020, 03:08:26 PM »
I would not worry too much about the horns.  They will pass the "Arm's Length" test that we play almost all of our games at anyway!

Cheers  :) I'm sure I'll get around to fixing it eventually, but for now, there's so much to paint! :D

And convert! I've decided that this fellow will represent a "Hellenized Galatian" in Seleukid service, so I'm greenstuff-ing a couple other lads to go with him on a circular command stand. Not sure how "historical" any of it is, but it's close enough, and anyway, is a nice distraction in between painting endless phalangites  lol