Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:23:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Late Roman Army (Command figures added)  (Read 5985 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: Black Tree Design Late Romans
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 12:38:55 AM »
I worked with several of BTD's ranges (Fantasy [the old Harlequin ranges IIRC?], Romans, Zulus, Vikings, WW2 Germans, Americans and Russians, WW1 French, ... ), not a single one was any less than really, really nice. Their WW2 Russians are my favourites. Such a shame that ordering from them is a bit of an adventure. I never had much trouble with it myself (only ordered a handful of times since 2014 though I have to admit), but others have told horror stories. I tend to defend BTD, mainly based on them seeming to be a small family run business and them having all these amazing ranges, but it's getting harder and harder.

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit there. Anyway, Rosemary is what many of the cool kids seem to use now after quite uneven quality in W&N brushes the past years. I'm basically using value packs / department store brushes size 2 and up and one good quality size 1 W&N Series 7 (long bristles). Took me decades to finally give in and go for W&N brushes: They are nice though. I tried Army Painter brushes a long time ago. They seemed to work decently, but I'm not a huge fan of AP on the whole, and I'm NOT a fan of brush ranges not using the numbers system and rather than that go for their own made-up classifications. GW brushes seem to be decent. Haven't used one in a long time, but for the past 15 years or so I haven't heard bad things about them. Once I run out of W&N brushes I'll see if I give those Rosemary ones a try. A while ago I heard from some painters that all the higher quality sable brushes get their bristles from the same farms and as demand went up a lot over the past years they started selling lower quality fur. Can't confirm that though because a.) I'm not a Russian sable farmer, and b.) I've had good W&N brushes and less good ones. The overwhelming majority has been fine.

About freehanding shield designs - doing the same design on a large (28mm) shield probably is the hardest thing to do I suppose. Especially so symetric designs. So eagles basically. :D Dark colours help, and so does "highlighting". Painting the design with a darker colour and then painting the lighter colour within that shape makes the design look a bit smoother and also allows for surprisingly much 'fixing' to get shapes even and so on. Basically just as seen in the pictures above. ;) So yeah, I'd say the way you painted these shields there is a prime example for how it's done.

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 02:29:52 AM »
No problem with me discussing the ins-and-outs of all aspects of the BTD figures.  These Late Romans have been my favorite since I saw them on David Imrie’s site years and years ago.  I had to wait a few weeks to receive  these figures when I ordered them, but I was prepared to wait longer.

I did some research on brushes a while ago and saw the rosemary brand on Amazon and almost went with them but decided at the last minute to try my FLGS where I picked up the GW brush.  GW has an artificer range which I was told are W&N repacked.  🤷🏼‍♂️

You nailed how I did the eagle designs, dark red and then highlighted up with the brighter red.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2020, 04:03:32 PM »
True, another nervous buyer, never have received my chariots....almost two years....never have bought again.

I do have two very large imperial Roman and late Roman armies though

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2020, 06:17:17 PM »
True, another nervous buyer, never have received my chariots....almost two years....never have bought again.

I do have two very large imperial Roman and late Roman armies though

You have to keep writing BTD/EOE Orbis!

I mean like daily.  Literally!

Write to both John in the USA and Vaughn in the UK. Use both emails for the same message so they see the other is getting the message.

I know, you should not have to do that.

You should also not be out your order.

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2020, 03:09:56 AM »
Me too Matt- I'm not a big fan of wondering if i will ever see the package arrive though. If they got it together I would be ordering large quantities of stuff  ;) :)

I'm with you on the delivery...one has to wonder if its the same guy on both sides of the pond.  Anyways, great looking figures , and love the shield designs too!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2020, 10:10:23 AM »
I'm with you on the delivery...one has to wonder if its the same guy on both sides of the pond.

sorry to go Ot again, but that's exactly what I've been trying to work out. I may order one pack and find out if the UK sector of the business is working more efficiently (or at all!) :)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2020, 10:13:59 AM »
sorry to go Ot again, but that's exactly what I've been trying to work out. I may order one pack and find out if the UK sector of the business is working more efficiently (or at all!) :)

I have sent off two orders to Black Tree a week apart, first one came in 4 days, the second should arrive today, I got a notification it's on the way.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2020, 10:19:13 AM »
I have sent off two orders to Black Tree a week apart, first one came in 4 days, the second should arrive today, I got a notification it's on the way.

I've just popped an email to them asking when I could expect to get the items shipped. If I get a reply soon I'm make a small order to start off with.

Again, sorry to go OT Killshot :)

Back to the Late Romans methinks.

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2020, 09:52:29 PM »
Finished up the Crusader Miniatures Late Roman archers as part of a commission.  These figures paint up extremely well IMO. 

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: Late Roman army (Crusader Miniatures Archers added)
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2020, 04:38:01 AM »
Very nice. Most Late Romans are modelled clean shaven so I may buy these Crusader figures to add to my 5th century Romano-British army. They look more....well..."Northern"!

Thanks   

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2020, 07:03:30 PM »
Very nice romans. :-* :-* :-*

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2020, 07:39:16 PM »
Lovely mate  :-*

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2020, 08:55:10 PM »
Very nice to see Crusader getting some exposure. Fine job on them. :)

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2020, 05:02:44 PM »
A  couple more units completed:

Cataphracts from Footsore

And staff slingers from Crusader Miniatures

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Late Roman Army (Cataphracts and Staff Slingers added)
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2020, 06:00:10 PM »
Nice work matey  :-*