Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:42:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting saracen questions  (Read 927 times)

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
Painting saracen questions
« on: October 06, 2020, 02:05:18 AM »
Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to paint a few Gripping Beast saracen units. These figures are a mishmash of all the ranges from moors to Arab as they are intended to be used for fantasy. However I often find the best paint schemes I use are tied to or based on history plus it helps if I need to sell them. So the question is did most Muslim armies have any kind of uniform?  I've painted European forces in a livery even if it was just a couple dominant colors. But everyone seems to do saracens all  in different colored robes. Were there units in some armies in uniform? Besides the Black Guard, did the Moors, Egyptians, or Damascenes do this?
Thanks, Pete

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Painting saracen questions
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 01:00:27 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to paint a few Gripping Beast saracen units. These figures are a mishmash of all the ranges from moors to Arab as they are intended to be used for fantasy. However I often find the best paint schemes I use are tied to or based on history plus it helps if I need to sell them. So the question is did most Muslim armies have any kind of uniform?  I've painted European forces in a livery even if it was just a couple dominant colors. But everyone seems to do saracens all  in different colored robes. Were there units in some armies in uniform? Besides the Black Guard, did the Moors, Egyptians, or Damascenes do this?
Thanks, Pete

If you can get a copy of the WAB El Cid book there are some excellent examples scattered around the book (including a how to painting section from Darren Harding), mostly painted by our very own James Morris.

That would certainly be a great place to start.

There's currently a copy for sale in the Bazaar on this very forum, but I would jump in quickly as the ye olde WAB books tend to sell very well:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=125584.0

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 05:47:01 PM »
Turks didn't have uniforms - lots of brightly coloured brocades and silks. Malukes did have uniforms (yellow under Saladin and red at other times).
So depends which Saracens you are talking about. Ian Heath 'Armies and Enemies of the Crusades' is good and now available as print on demand.

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 01:58:50 AM »
I do have the WAB ElCid book actually, one of a handful I didnt sell on after we quit playing.  I held onto it, Alexander,and Shieldwall mostly just because of all the wonderful painted figures. In hindsight I should have held onto Armies of Chivalry also :(  I'll have a look, thanks.
I downloaded Ian Heaths book, have a look there too.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 02:02:12 AM by fitterpete »