Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:54:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Starting a new Saga army: Moors of Andalusian Spain (a return to LAF...)  (Read 6397 times)

Offline princeman

• Librarian
Re: Starting a new Saga army: Moors of Andalusian Spain
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 04:36:53 PM »
Great work!!
A man aughta do what he thinks is best.

Offline Stosstruppen

• Assistant
    • Adventures in Wargaming and History
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2020, 01:41:30 PM »
I am just getting ready to start some myself. I had bought some painted ones long ago that are all dressed in a tan color. I wanted to deviate from that, just not sure what to do. Great work on yours!
凱文

"Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide."

Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2020, 05:44:06 PM »
I don't know much about the period or SAGA as a rule set  but I love the colours and patterns on the tunics! Painting a unit of identically uniformed soldiers can get tiresome - not the case with that first unit of Moors!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 01:58:11 AM »
Thanks, everyone! Just finished the robe patterns on the second batch of 8 spearmen. They should be finished up in another few days. Actually, two of the spearmen are obviously standard bearers (so I gave them an extra long spear shaft to hold it.

Now I have to do some research on Andalusian banners...!  lol

Mike Demana

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike

My second batch of 28mm Gripping Beast Moorish spearmen

I finished my second batch of Andalusian spearmen for my Moorish Saga army. I purchased some new colors (which you may notice) and used some others from collection. A couple of the robe patterns are the same, but I made some new ones as well as some new borders. This batch of 8 figures even had a couple figures with cloaks atop the tunics.

A quick look at the robe and cloak patterns -- for closeups of each figure, see my blog link

I also simplified the skin colors from four different flesh tones down to three. I eliminated the Caucasian one and went with the three darker ones. I also changed to a highlighting method on the base coats of these flesh tones. I wasn't happy with how the dry brushing was working on in my highlight colors. Once I do a wash at the end of the process, it blends the line in the highlights a bit (painted on with watered down paints in the next lighter skin color).

One of the two bannermen that were part of this batch...and no, NOT hand-painted!

All of the shield designs are hand painted. The banners are NOT. For more discussion on them, and LOTS more photos -- including a front and back of each of the eight figures, go to my Lead Legionaries blog here:
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/2020/07/moorish-spearmen-second-batch-finished.html

And thank you everyone for the kind words about the progress of this army and how they look!

Mike Demana

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2020, 11:49:29 PM »
I have many if the same figures and mine do not look nearly as good.  Great job!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2020, 06:59:56 AM »
Nice work indeed  8)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 10:17:37 AM by Atheling »

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2020, 08:57:53 AM »
A real labour of love here! They look excellent. Do you think you will 'get away' with some plain robes scattered around the units?

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2020, 07:44:26 PM »
Wow Mike, lovely figures.
Love your shields.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2020, 04:23:38 AM »
Thanks, everyone! I'm working on the first mounted figures for the army right now. Good question about being able to "get away" with some plainer robes mixed in among the fancier ones. Definitely. But I guess I am counting the ones with the decorated borders at the hems, cuffs, etc., being my plainer ones.

I have learned that you more doesn't always mean better, though. So, for example, if your miniature has a cloak, tunic, and pants, do a fancy pattern on only one of the three. If all three are patterned it will overwhelm the eyes, so to speak. At least that's my opinion...  lol

Mike Demana

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2020, 11:30:35 PM »
These are excellent and inspiring! Great to see Andalusian Spain getting some attention, and the figures are just amazing. Excellent colour and detail on these, can't wait to see the whole warband come together.

Those banners are just fantastic, I really like how well they turned out.

Thanks
n

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2020, 02:40:07 PM »
Coming from you, Joe, that is great praise...especially when you consider your al-Andalus army on your Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields website has been my inspiration. Every time I am planning out what robe patterns to paint or shield designs, I go back and look through all of your images. For those who haven't seen Joe's gallery, check this out:
http://www.hourofwolves.org/?view=armies&which=andalus&thumbs=1

Mike Demana

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2020, 04:56:23 PM »
Just spotted these on here - gorgeous work!  I love all the patterns and hope you enjoyed painting them.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2020, 01:01:02 AM »

Four of my first batch of 8 Andalusian cavalrymen for my Saga Moorish army

I took the plunge and chose to paint a batch of 8 Andalusian cavalry for my Saga Moorish army next. To be honest, I usually somewhat dread painting the mounted arm of my armies. Not surprisingly, they seem to take twice as long as an infantryman to finish!  lol

All eight of the 28mm Gripping Beast cavalrymen lined up and ready for battle

However, I decided to use an online color chart for more than 70 types of different markings on horses to make it more interesting. So, instead of painting "gray horse" I would be painting a "dappled gray." Not only are the markings more accurate than my generic black, brown, white, gray, etc., horses, they look more realistic. Plus, it adds a bit of fun into painting them that was missing before. Or...maybe I'm just weird!  ;D

One of my favorites of the batch -- a dramatic looking rider atop his dappled gray

In addition to giving each horse a unique coloring, I also made their horse blankets spiffy with borders, patterns, or swirls. The riders, as befitting this colorful army, were also given robe patterns -- including some new ones I tried (or more likely, stole from Neldoreth of LAF and his An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields website!). I am really happy with how these came out. Both horses and riders turned out nicely, as did the freehand shield patterns, I think.

I really like the combination of purple robes and the leopard skin shield on this figure

Check out my Lead Legionaries site for individual photos of each of the eight poses, as well as more group shots, here:
https://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/2020/08/andalusian-cavalry-for-my-saga-moorish.html
I go into a fair bit of detail about my process and what I was thinking at each step.

I really appreciate all of the kind comments -- thank you so much!

Mike Demana
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 01:03:28 AM by mikedemana »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Excellent work  :-*

They are coming out really well. And considering you've managed all the intricate hand painted fabrics, at a rate of knots too boot  8)