Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:09:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Urban Zombie board Thread: resurrection 2023!  (Read 173357 times)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
All looking excellent. The more I see these printable scenery packs, the more I think about flat-pack wargaming...  :D

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
great stuff mate...

just occured to me though, should you have giveways at a box junction?

Well there's one in the village so probably a devon thing!  ;D

Well I hope that won't detract from the gaming potential ::)

:D

All looking excellent. The more I see these printable scenery packs, the more I think about flat-pack wargaming...  :D

True, but only really works for simple structures, I've built all of mine up solidly, just have to find somewhere to store them now. :D
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
Good to see that you started building your town! It alreay starts to look really nice and I have to say, I really like your idea of the spawning point. Now I just have to make some subway entrances as wel...

The roads and pavement came out very nice as well. If I hadn't already constructed my own set, I probably would follow your lead in the contruction, but as it as I'm quite satisfied and too lazy to start again.

I like the idea of the small parks. I already made a few large park sections, but I guess a few small ones would also look very nice :)

Keep the pictures coming and good luck building the rest of the town. Maybe it would like to also make a police station?  ::)

A now go play a game and write a report*!!!

*with lots and lots of pictures
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Good to see that you started building your town! It alreay starts to look really nice and I have to say, I really like your idea of the spawning point. Now I just have to make some subway entrances as wel...

The roads and pavement came out very nice as well. If I hadn't already constructed my own set, I probably would follow your lead in the contruction, but as it as I'm quite satisfied and too lazy to start again.

I like the idea of the small parks. I already made a few large park sections, but I guess a few small ones would also look very nice :)

Keep the pictures coming and good luck building the rest of the town. Maybe it would like to also make a police station?  ::)

A now go play a game and write a report*!!!

*with lots and lots of pictures

The inspiration himself!  Hello!

Well as this is being written retrospectively you'll be pleased to know that there where four games played on the completed table last weekend. I took pics and have a rough report summary for each.

So just you be patient.

Police station... yeah saw that, will have to get it, I'm going to get some cargo containers too for the next planned add-on board.

More to come.

The Commander
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 03:08:49 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Looking good. I'm starting to sway with regards to the Worldworks stuff........

Could we get an overshot of the board with nothing on? Just wondering what the overall road layout looks like.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Looking good. I'm starting to sway with regards to the Worldworks stuff........

Could we get an overshot of the board with nothing on? Just wondering what the overall road layout looks like.

I did post up the first board on page one:

The second board will be posted later.

Cheers

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
The inspiration himself!  Hello!

Well as this is being written retrospectively you'll be pleased to know that there here four games played on the completed table last weekend. I took pics and have a rough report summary for each.

So just you be patient.

I'll be patient ;)
The funny thing is, I can't really take the blame for being "the inspiration himself", as for years I played on quite empty tables. This forum really made me put more effort in my terrain. Nowadays, every time I play a game I notice how much more fun the games are with a good looking table and I can open one of our old battle reports and look at the pretty pictures and get a big smile on my face. Overall I'm really happy with the effect a bit of effort had on the level of fun in out games.

So do you also notice something similar, or am I just an odd case?  o_o

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
I'll be patient ;)
The funny thing is, I can't really take the blame for being "the inspiration himself", as for years I played on quite empty tables. This forum really made me put more effort in my terrain. Nowadays, every time I play a game I notice how much more fun the games are with a good looking table and I can open one of our old battle reports and look at the pretty pictures and get a big smile on my face. Overall I'm really happy with the effect a bit of effort had on the level of fun in out games.

So do you also notice something similar, or am I just an odd case?  o_o

Having a really nicely detailed table with nicely painted minis makes the game in my opinion too.

But yes you are an odd case!

;)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Building tips:

Plan the structure: whenever you move away from simple box buildings think about the structure, draw it out, get reference material, measure six times, cut once...swear, wipe blood off board, get new piece of board, measure again etc.... :D

Interior supports: I used scrap strips of foam board cut exactly to length and width of the building sections, helps to add rigidity.

Pins: before the printed exteriors are added all the joints and edges are pinned with dress maker’s pins, little stars are cut with the tip of the scalpel blade so they don’t sit proud and protrude through to the paper. Helps to hold the piece together.

Masking tape: (decorator’s paper tape) applied cleanly and smoothly to the inner joints and edges.

Straight edges: Use a good cutting board, a good metal ruler and always ensure that you have a fresh blade to hand, the sharper the better as you don’t want it dragging through the foam board, at best it’ll mess up the card, at worst you’ll slip and be heading off to A&E quicker than you can say…ow!

Right then, the buildings for the first board:

Building one: Gothic apartments.
Building two: Office block/medical centre
Building three: Warehouse section one.

......Will be posted up later  :D

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box

An inspirational thread!  

In particular I love the road and pavement layouts.  As they are purely cosmetic (compared to for example a building which actually provides elevation changes and LOS blocking) roads and pavements regularly seem to be avoided in games.  The difference that they make visually is huge and really helpful in immersing oneself in the game I think.  

Thanks for sharing!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Sorry, didn't realise that was the whole board. So have the pavement pieces been stuck down? I'd thought the pavement was movable but if the buildings have designated spots to be on there doesn't seem to be much point in having movable pavements.

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
Very well done Commander!  I would love to hear your opinion about the difference between the railroad scenics you decided to use for your ground work and the material provided in the world works mayhem releases that can also be used for the streets and pavement sections.

I look forward to reading more, including your zombie painting and battle reports.  I am especially interested as this is the same project I myself am currently working on (painting zombies, survivors, and building modern terrain).

Great work thus far!  I completely agree with you... there is nothing like a well detailed terrain board with nicely painted miniatures... the more realism and detail the better for me! :D

Darkoath

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Sorry, didn't realise that was the whole board. So have the pavement pieces been stuck down? I'd thought the pavement was movable but if the buildings have designated spots to be on there doesn't seem to be much point in having movable pavements.

Oh do read the posts 007!  ::)

i) it's one of the boards there are two.
ii) the plug in sections take the buildings.
iii) sections of pavement are removable to show road sections to maximise flexibility.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Building one: Gothic apartments.

Not my favourite in respect to build quality, the first one I did for this table and although it’s ok it will probably get replaced at some stage.

When you look at it closely I had to use a lot of strips and sections to make the printed cladding work, it looks fine don’t get me wrong, just will be a bit straighter when I do it again.

Building two: Office block/medical centre:

For my split level building I spent quite a while planning how this would go together, how I could ensure that the printed cladding looked 'right' when I went longer that  7” a side and how I could make it strong and durable, learning from the mistakes of the first building:

I wanted a split level roof section and the worldworks textures I used were perfect for that, (also it reminds me of the building textures in the very first DOOM PC game by ID nice!).

I mounted this building on a section of 3mm MDF, edged with static grass mat and with a path using the pavement sections.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 08:28:14 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Quick shot of building one and two on their board with the grass sections and trees added.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 08:37:24 PM by Commander Vyper »