Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:46:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Urban Zombie board Thread: resurrection 2023!  (Read 173390 times)

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
Great work CV... really looking forward to your zombie painting and combat report installments.

I'll ask my question again since you didn't respond to my first post asking this...

Can you please go into more detail about the difference between the workworks printed roadways and sidewalks and the model railroad ones your chose instead.  I am also considering using one of these two options and don't currently own either.  It would be nice to know which look more realistic and have more options.

Darkoath

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Do you just cut off the outer edges then? Because I've seen someone (can't remeber who mind) that resized all the internal walls to get them to fit it was the mannor building they'd done.

No mate, you just need to be logical.

If your foamcore is 5mm thick then lose 5mm of the internal wall sheet per wall section, if it's 3mm then lose three. The more complex the building the more planning you need to make but in principle it's dead easy.

:D
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Great work CV... really looking forward to your zombie painting and combat report installments.

I'll ask my question again since you didn't respond to my first post asking this...

Can you please go into more detail about the difference between the workworks printed roadways and sidewalks and the model railroad ones your chose instead.  I am also considering using one of these two options and don't currently own either.  It would be nice to know which look more realistic and have more options.

Darkoath

Well, in the greatest detail I can....

i) I found the model railroad ones first.
ii) I liked them
iii) I stuck em down

Sorry mate no massive thought process, I think that they look a bit more realistic and less cartoony than the worldworks ones but each to his or her own. There are also US road layouts available from the Scale scenes website if that's more to your flavour: http://www.scalescenes.com

I haven't even looked at the roadpacks I've got from worldworks, they look ok, lock together but again I was going for a fixed board not tiles.

Hope this helps.

The Commander

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Building Five: Petrol Station.

Unfortunately very much WIP at time of playing, I vowed to at least get the forecourt and covered section complete before the games, (and did this on the saturday afternoon before we played on in the evening! ;)

I masked it's incompleteness by parking a van where the kiosk was going to be and a car infront of where the pumps were going to go, nice use of Fenris Games street cones and the place looked in mid refurb!

Since coming home I've tidied up the rush job repaired the posts and am ready to make the kiosk and pumps, probably get this done over the next few days.

Here's a bird's eye view of board two ready for play:

Few more shots pre play:

Things still to finish (but did not impact on gameplay at all):

i) board edge buildings and pavements for board two.
ii) urban fencing areas.
iii) 'plug in' area for above petrol station and the guns & ammo shop (worldworks).
iv) skips, wheelie bins and recycling bins, (urban junk from Fenris Games and Antenociti's Workshop).
v) Jeresy barriers (Fenris games).
vi) sandwich boards & barrels (Fenris games)

Should have these bits and bobs sorted by next week.

Anyway more stuff to follow: vehicles!

The Commander.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Oh wow that board looks fantastic,

your hard work has really paid off there  :-*

just excellent

dodge

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
The gas station looks great Commander even without the pumps! Could you please give us a clearer picture of your chain link fence. By the way do you know what scale those cars are?

Rob

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Excellent looking board. :-*
I am really impressed with the work you have done.

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
That board is amazing. Also liking the alleys and passageways for the survives to scurry down. Fantastic. As always a pleasure to watch an idea grow and flourish.  :D
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
The gas station looks great Commander even without the pumps! Could you please give us a clearer picture of your chain link fence. By the way do you know what scale those cars are?

Rob

The cars are 1:43 except for the truck and helicopter which are 1:48, these are quite common models 8)

Lovely board! It looks totally convincing as a city. However, game wise there is a lot of open room with some box-style buildings. How does this work out during your games?
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
Just a great gaming board, Commander!
 :o :-*

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
Great work Vyper, and I'm borrowing your methods wholesale.  :D
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
The cars are 1:43 except for the truck and helicopter which are 1:48, these are quite common models 8)

Lovely board! It looks totally convincing as a city. However, game wise there is a lot of open room with some box-style buildings. How does this work out during your games?

Messy! :D

The rules system I'm using is an modified version of the Frother's nightmare of frothstreet rules from salute 2009, I've made quite a few amends, additions and new rules, but for the sake of speed of gaming the buildings are as they are.

To spice things up a little once a survivor is in a building it takes AP's to move between the levels, If they are in a building during a zombie activation turn there is a possibility of disturbing one of the undead and having to fight it. Worked very well in practice.

The garage level I just wanted to build to see how the interior's went together and they went together fine.

What you have to remember is that it's a small table, the open spaces were planned.... in all the early games my friend (and me) got complacement and started to try to use the territory...wrong move! We pulled three zed activation cards in a row spawned a total of 35 zombies in those turns and had a very messy time getting out of there.

Also remember that the enemy doesn't shot back so there's no real tactical advantage to be had, having said those 'boxed buildings' as you call em have split levels, open roof sections, potential of occupying and barricading, landing a chopper on and oh yeah.... one in particular blowns up! (using a 12" LP as a blast radius!!!) Can you guess which one?  ;)

And hey they might be some box style buildings but they're MY box style buildings and I's like em! ;).

(Thanks for the question, hope the answers explain my thoughts here).

Cheers guys for all the comments.

Rob

Hey Rob,

Did these about 8 years ago. Only used them cause I didn't get time to finish the table proper before my visit to my mates.

The mesh I got from my local railway shop at the time, used plastic sprue for the posts, foamboard for the base, hot glue gun to fix the posts to the base then fuse wire to twist the fencing to the posts.  I then used polyfiller, which sand and gravel. All sprayed black and painted up then flocked:

I am going to make some proper uptodate urban ones like the ones I've seen in L4D on the 360 so I'll post up a how to then, but really easy to do once you find the right mesh.

And yup the cars are as said, the only one I've played with was the police range rover:

Did that a while ago too, (old pic sorry).

Will dirty up the rest over time too. Hotwheels bikes are great too, an idea borrowed from Pappa M, again need to paint em up.

Cheers all

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box

The table looks fantastic and this regularly updated thread is really great  8)

(It also helps that I can actually see your pictures while at work, which isnt always the case with other threads unfortunately)

I am looking forward to the upcoming painting and gaming threads very much too.

Will dirty up the rest over time too. Hotwheels bikes are great too, an idea borrowed from Pappa M, again need to paint em up.

Can you elaborate on the Hotwheels bikes a little please?  I have never had any luck finding modern motorcycle toys that are roughly in 28mm scale.  Have you had better luck?  Some cheap bikes to populate my miniature streets would be pretty cool...

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Messy! :D

The rules system I'm using is an modified version of the Frother's nightmare of frothstreet rules from salute 2009, I've made quite a few amends, additions and new rules, but for the sake of speed of gaming the buildings are as they are.

To spice things up a little once a survivor is in a building it takes AP's to move between the levels, If they are in a building during a zombie activation turn there is a possibility of disturbing one of the undead and having to fight it. Worked very well in practice.

The garage level I just wanted to build to see how the interior's went together and they went together fine.

What you have to remember is that it's a small table, the open spaces were planned.... in all the early games my friend (and me) got complacement and started to try to use the territory...wrong move! We pulled three zed activation cards in a row spawned a total of 35 zombies in those turns and had a very messy time getting out of there.

Also remember that the enemy doesn't shot back so there's no real tactical advantage to be had, having said those 'boxed buildings' as you call em have split levels, open roof sections, potential of occupying and barricading, landing a chopper on and oh yeah.... one in particular blowns up! (using a 12" LP as a blast radius!!!) Can you guess which one?  ;)

And hey they might be some box style buildings but they're MY box style buildings and I's like em! ;).

(Thanks for the question, hope the answers explain my thoughts here).

It does explain. I don't mind the box buildings but I was wondering if you could get inside and I didn't know you could. Are the Frothstreet rules and the cards posted anywhere?

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
It does explain. I don't mind the box buildings but I was wondering if you could get inside and I didn't know you could. Are the Frothstreet rules and the cards posted anywhere?

No problems, I will be doing more buildings with internals, or failing that map boards to move the minis over to, at the moment what I've done works well and doesn't clog up the gang: quick and brutal rather than role playing game.

The rules were printed up for the game, I'm going to eventually complete my update, once done I'll happily share. The cards are normal playing cards (red card: player turn black card zed activation, etc....).

Cheers

The Commander