Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:57:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Urban Zombie board Thread: resurrection 2023!  (Read 173354 times)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: Urban Zombie board Thread: Feb 2011 UPDATE new Survivors!!!
« Reply #480 on: April 22, 2011, 11:54:23 AM »

Drove home from the south east and Salute on Sunday, felt awful, headaches, fever, throat like glass, went to bed Sunday afternoon and stayed there. Finally surfaced from my pit yesterday, doesn't look like I'm joining the ranks of the walking dead this time, but apologies for the break in transmission.

Camera's on charge and will work out the next gaming report later. Let's just say it was a more adult/conspiracy driven story line than we've used before. More in keeping with the likes of The Crazies remake.

More to follow.

The 'very alive' Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #481 on: April 24, 2011, 02:48:30 AM »
Sounds like you may have been bitten Mark! :D

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #482 on: May 01, 2011, 01:27:59 PM »
So I finished these guys off before Salute and packed them ready for the zombie gaming session on the Saturday evening. Bases courtesy of Fenris games.

Not bad, nasty mould line missed on one, but not really noticable.

For a gaming senario I thought about the recent spate of evil government conspiracy themed films and decided to take a leaf out of the 2010 remake of George A Romero's 'The Crazies'. The NBC team were drafted in as a sweep and clear team, a kill team if you like. Primary objective, eradication of all walking dead, secondary objective, removal of potential infected/survivors within the contaminated zones.

This made for a great game and an added dimension for the survivors.....it wasn't the cavalry that were coming, more like the four horsemen!

It was a long game, (52 turns..... the entire pack!  :o). But very good, very cinematic and even the dice played their part in making this game a classic.

Photo's are just uploading to gaming report later.

The Commander
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:33:16 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: Urban Zombie board Thread: May 2011 New gaming report and NBC's
« Reply #483 on: May 01, 2011, 09:52:51 PM »
Supply Run:

Things were getting desparate, although they were lucky enough to find a warehouse that was reasonably secure, in what appeared to be a fairly zed free sector of the city, the lack of food, medical supplies and fuel for the generator was going to cause one hell of a problem if it wasn't sorted fast.

"Ok, so we need to get what we need and get back here as fast as possible, oh and this has to be done quickly and quietly. I know we've seen very little activity here over the last few weeks, but that's only because we've stuck to one rule, what's the rule people?

"We don't go looking for trouble"
everyone responded as one, (a little too much like a bunch of school kids for Paul's liking but he'd let it go this time).

"So here's the deal, we need fuel, we need medical supplies and we need food. Fuel shouldn't be a problem as there's still plenty of abandoned vehicles close by we haven't drained yet. Medical supplies... that's gonna be a bit more tricky, the medical centre's nearby, emergency vehicles are everywhere, but you need to be careful. Finally food, this is gonna be the bitch. The nearest place for dried stuff, cans etc is the Mall, that's quite a hike and you'll be in the open, so take it steady".

"Four of us will be going out, me, Father Taylor & Heckle and Jeckle over there. Let's hope you two keep your god damn heads this time, no heroics and no looking for trouble, we clear?"

Paul hoped this was going to be an easy supply run, but something told him this was going to be an interesting day.....

Menwhile....

"Primary targets have been confirmed to be active in this area, we are to engage and erradicate all walkers, this area must be cleared before we move on. Whilst our primary objective must remain our main focus, we have been instructed to follow our secondary objective, any P.I.'s present in this sector will be elliminated, men, women, children is that clear?"

Kill Team Bravo acknowledged the command but did not speak.

At single hand command from the Kill Team Leader and the squad moved out.

Special Rules for the game:

i) Neither the survivors nor the kill team are aware of each others presence at the beginning of the game, they do not start in sight or sound of each other.
ii) The Kill team will always target zombies first and have to clear an area of zed presence before moving on.
iii) Normal rules for sight and sound apply.
iv) the survivors need to collect and return to the safe house with the three items detailed to win.
vi) The motives of the kill team are unknown to the survivors, they have no reason to suspect anything other than support from the 'army' if they discover them.
vii) It takes one model a full turn to syphon fuel from a vehicle and a full turn to search  emergency vehicles/medical centre for supplies, same goes for food from the Mall and the vending machines.

Let the game commence.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 11:08:47 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #484 on: May 02, 2011, 08:47:56 AM »
very nice Colours on these Hazmats,i have to steal that Idea  lol The "Face" Effect is very impressive  ;D
Funny Batrep,sounds like alotta Fun,again

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #485 on: May 05, 2011, 08:09:01 AM »
Cheers, the 'face' is just highlighting and accidental, but if you like it then all's good.

The game started with around 40 zombies spawned on the table, the kill team headed off to engage the first group, whilst the survivors moved to the nearest abandoned vehicle and started to syphon the fuel.

The other biker decided to try to move along, using the cover of the vehicles and barricades to work towards the mall. He'd seen the Kill Team, but they hadn't noticed him and were busy with the large group of zombies to the right of the Mall, gunfire and grenades putting pay to this group.

Now we used the same dice for the kill team as the survivors, but something about that cold, clinical, military precision rubbed off on the little cubes. I have never seen so many head shot take downs all at short range.

These guys were deadly. In a few turns they had moved towards the mall and were clearing out every walking corpse they could find.

Meanwhile, with the fuel secured, one of the survivors headed back to the safehouse, whilst the others moved towards the Medical centre.

Their route down brought them uncomfortably close to a large group of zombies that had been attrached to the earlier gunfiire of the kill team.

A little too close for Paul,

Who with a run of black cards...didn't stand a chance.

The Padre and the other biker managed to clear a path through the zombies and made it to the medical centre. the priest secured the first aid kit and headed back to the safe house, with the horde in pursuit:

More later
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 01:47:49 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #486 on: May 05, 2011, 10:52:14 AM »
Cool! I'm trying to get time (and motivation) to get back to th edesk and hone my brush skills a bit on a few Zeds before painting a Street Judge for Judge Dredd TMG, and this is kinda helping  :)

You probably mentioned this before or elsewhere, but did you use a specific kind of thread mesh for the fences (I'm still trying to find a source for metal or or plastic mesh usable for modelling...)?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #487 on: May 05, 2011, 01:37:20 PM »
Somewhere back in the mists of the thread yup ;).

I used mesh I bought from a modelling shop in my old home town before I moved down to Devon. It's a very soft, (not sharp) mesh and cuts very cleanly with good scissors. I think that you can find the same fine mesh at autofactor suppliers, (car parts and accessory shops to you and me). It's used for building a framework for car body filler.

Some of the WIP pics from way back:

Did these two urban fencing sections, got about six more to do, some again to go inbetween buildings and others a la left for dead: at the table edge/road edge to close off areas:

Various types of plasti-rod and I and H sections, mesh that I've had for a while. Not ment to be perfect but will do the job.

Good luck getting re-inspired, a few more entries on this report to do then I've got some more new stuff to post up.

The Commander
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 01:43:33 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #488 on: May 05, 2011, 04:44:03 PM »
A turn of fortune.

The first biker that returned with the fuel headed off towards the mall, only to be followed, cornered and chomped by a small group of zombies that really shouldn't have posed him any trouble at all, that's the way the cards turn I suppose.

The priest makes it back to the safehouse with medical supplies, (so two out of three objectives met). And heads out only to meet the same fate as his biker compardre:

A quick munch and a turn later....

Father Taylor expires.

The Kill Team remain occupied with the last group of zombies around the mall, giving the biker the opportunity to continue to move towards the final objective.

'Oh, erm hi guys, great shooting, I'm I glad to see you, we need help.....'

clunk-click!

Unsuprisingly with the primary targets neutralised, the Kill Team focus on the lone PI, (potentailly Infected) survivor.

With a precision double tap to the head, the secondary target is dispatched. The survivors fail to complete their objectives, falling in the in end not by the hands of the dead, but at the hands of the living....
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 05:21:39 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #489 on: May 05, 2011, 05:03:31 PM »
With the survivors gone we decided to continue play with the Kill Team, who despatch the undead with inhuman precision.

They moved towards the safehouse and the some group of zombies, with the recently turned Father Taylor.

Just to test those lucky dice I suggested to my friend that it would be 'unsporting' to have 16 shots at three zeds so in cinematic fashion they drew their pistols, swung their automatic weapons round on their straps and again those dice hit there mark with two double taps and one knockback; which was swiftly despatched using the last AP points.

Moving on towards the safehouse, the team spotted the massive horde of zombies gathering at the end of the street, (the spawn dice had also decided to roll 6's, massing zeds at the nearest point).

'Theta Actual, this is Bravo KT, PI's neutralised, low on ammo and facing significant primary objective presence. Request airdrop and sitrep update via UAV. Will secure safehouse and await resupply and redeploy orders.'[/i]

'Bravo this is Theta Actual, continue to engage, unable to resupply, you need to keep moving to the extraction point, prolonged field exposure without appropriate decon will class you and your team as P.I. and we will neutralise Bravo. Theta out'.

You think anyone wins in a zombie game?

;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 06:39:28 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #490 on: May 05, 2011, 06:17:26 PM »
DAMMIT!  Now I'm inspired to start working on my own Zed stuff agian.

I tell you I have the focus of a hyperactive hummingbird.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #491 on: May 05, 2011, 08:53:53 PM »
It's taken over 2 nights to read through the last 33 pages! Worth it though, this is a fantastic set-up. I've been trying to ignore the voice telling me I need an urban zombie table but it's just got louder. All my buildings are for ECW, Napoleonic, ACW and rural WWII settings, and my terrain tiles (300x300mm & 600x300mm mdf) are all rural (unmetalled roads) so it would mean a completely new set-up. Unless, of course, I can double the modern zombie tiles up as urban WWII? What width are your roads and your footpaths? It looks like a good ratio you have (forgive me if you already mentioned this, it was Tuesday when I started to read through!).

Top stuff, really top stuff.

Cheers :)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #492 on: May 07, 2011, 11:57:29 AM »
It's taken over 2 nights to read through the last 33 pages! Worth it though, this is a fantastic set-up. I've been trying to ignore the voice telling me I need an urban zombie table but it's just got louder. All my buildings are for ECW, Napoleonic, ACW and rural WWII settings, and my terrain tiles (300x300mm & 600x300mm mdf) are all rural (unmetalled roads) so it would mean a completely new set-up. Unless, of course, I can double the modern zombie tiles up as urban WWII? What width are your roads and your footpaths? It looks like a good ratio you have (forgive me if you already mentioned this, it was Tuesday when I started to read through!).

Top stuff, really top stuff.

Cheers :)

I'll measure up for, (can't remember). Each board is 3'x2' so you could probably get an good idea from that.

I saw you ask eslewhere about good numbers of survivors/army etc.. for a average gaming table.

Another shameless plug but take a look at my game reports, I've had any number of survivors, (usually 3-5) military types, (usually a couple of squads) etc... It's all really dependant on the senario you're playing to be honest.

Also if you had a larger table or game planned you'd upscale accordingly.

'Lots' is a good reference and a good sound number to head for (;)), you can always add to 'lots' and the other half will be none the wiser. ;) Zombie games must be pressured, you need the players to feel claustrophobic, so at least a ratio of 1-10 makes things interesting, with more coming on the table through actions/spawns.

For a lovely range of figures go for Doug's old grenadier Future wars stuff at EM-4 miniatures (from £1.25 a mini!), Mark Copplestone's resculpts/updates under his own Copplestone castings, hasslefree for a great range of survivors, plod etc... for army/NBC I'd go with TAG rangers/delta and marines. More NBC figures also from the companies noted above.

Cheers

The Commander

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #493 on: May 07, 2011, 08:09:16 PM »
Thanks for the figure advice. I had figured on maybe 8-10 each of the various military types based on reading through your game reports, with the guys in the biohazard suits immediately added to my wish list (love the orange paint job!). I honestly had no idea about zombie numbers though, so the 1:10 info is really useful. I hadn't seen the Future Wars figures on EM-4 either, so thanks. I reckon if I can try and double-up the terrain tiles for WWII then I might get away with an urban table. I had considered the World Works buildings before but wasn't convinced so it's been good to see them in your photos. Cheers!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #494 on: May 07, 2011, 08:14:29 PM »
I had considered the World Works buildings before but wasn't convinced so it's been good to see them in your photos. Cheers!

Believe me, they do an excellent job! Just make sure to not use a water-based glue which may cause the thick paper to warp, almost beyond repair. Very annoying.