Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:58:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pondering a move into the New 40K  (Read 1955 times)

Offline MustContainMinis

• Librarian
    • Must Contain Minis
Pondering a move into the New 40K
« on: July 07, 2020, 01:59:09 AM »
I run a blog that focuses predominantly on Indie and Histroical games. That said, I do keep an eye on Games Workshop. Every time they come out with a new starter set, I find myself looking back at them - and this time, I am looking at them even more seriously.

I left Warhammer long ago in favour of the more affordable options in Indie and Historical gaming. The reason for this was straight up price alone. I never really fell out of love with the models or rules, but instead looked at other games and thought, “I can afford those much better.” Now that GW announced their Indomitus Launch Box for The New 40K, I find myself pondering whether I want to get back into their games.

On top of looking at the game, I am also wondering if giving it some coverage will help promote my blog and get more readers to check out the site. I want to attract as many readers as I can to promote gaming in general, and to get more eyes on the smaller companies that I normally cover.

Come on over to Must Contain Minis and give the article a read through.

https://mustcontainminis.com/2020/07/should-i-get-into-the-new-40k-indomitus.html

Feel free to post comments either here or on the website. If I see good comments here, I will post them over on Must Contain Minis too.

Article at... https://mustcontainminis.com/2020/07/should-i-get-into-the-new-40k-indomitus.html
Check out my site Must Contain Minis. I do news, previews, showcases and reviews of miniatures and miniature related products.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pondering a move into the New 40K
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 04:17:25 AM »
I am planning on looking at the new free rules but I have no real interest in the box set. Never liked marines or necrons.   Having large painted numbers of IG, I could easily rejoin in gaming 40K.  The question for me will be if others in my group are interested.  We have literally thousands of 40K figures in our gaming group (IG, Orks, Tryanids, Eldar/DE and numerous marine forces) but very little interest in playing lately.  Maybe this new rule set will reignite some interest but there are a lot of other interesting games out there competing for our in person gaming time whenever we actually get a chance to resume doing so. 
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline hummus

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 01:38:26 PM »
check out one page rules grimdark
https://onepagerules.com/portfolio/grimdark-future/
they have some good, understandable, fast rules and armybooks for all the races
all for free

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 02:23:21 PM »
If cost was the biggest reason you got out of 40K, you might want to look at getting back into it at this point.  GW has done a number of things to make the starting cost of getting into their games much lower.  For one thing the starter sets are a fantastic deal, usually containing about twice their cost in models if bought a la carte if not more. 

Another great value are the Start Collecting! sets which usually have about $130-40 worth of stuff in them for $90.

On top of that they have been releasing a number of starter sets that contain different armies than the initial release which helps players that don't want to play marines or  the other army in the starter set.

So for4th edition they released a set that had marines and tyranids so if you were a marine player or a tyranid player you were in luck.  If you played one of the other armies not so much. 

In 8th edition the basic set started you out with a decent SM or Death Guard force, with a few additions you would have a pretty complete army of either.  So if you split the set with a friend for a $100 each more you would have a very comprehensive force. 

But if you wanted to play Necrons you were out of luck.  Then they released a set that was Necrons vs.  Adeptus Mechanicus and it was a great deal.

Since then they have released sets for Dark Eldar and Eldar, Eldar and Space Marines, Space Wolves and Orks, Space Wolves and Genestealer Cult and so forth. 

So all those armies got cheap starter sets.  They also released board games from time to time that have a fantastic value in terms of the miniatures involved.  The two Horus Heresy boxed games were amazing value for the number of figures you got in them.  The first one contained about $310 worth of figures if bought alone for only $150. 

Plus a board game. 

While GW is still a fairly expensive hobby, I've found that it is actually a lot cheaper than the historicals I have done simply because while the models are more expensive I need a lot fewer of them.  My Carlist Wars armies contain over 600 28mm miniatures for the three armies I have.  My Crimson Fists Space Marine army is more or less complete with about 50 figures and a dread nought. 

My Alpha Legion force has only 24 figures in it. 

So it is a good time to get back in.  I started playing GW stuff again in 2015 after about a 10 year break. 

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 03:50:08 PM »
I just can't get myself back on the 40K carousel again.  if you can I wish you only the best of luck!   

That said, I am interested in using those Necron Tripods as Martian war machines!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 04:04:22 PM »
If cost was the biggest reason you got out of 40K, you might want to look at getting back into it at this point. 

I almost spit coffee out of my nose upon reading this.

The Start Collecting boxes are certainly inexpensive but the rest of the range is still at GW pricing.

The only real difference that I can see is that the company is more actively supporting smaller scale games. They do this because they know that it leads to people getting involved in the full scale game. And none of those models are as inexpensive as the Start Collecting kits
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 04:13:06 PM by pixelgeek »

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 04:12:45 PM »
I run a blog that focuses predominantly on Indie and Histroical games.

Then keep doing that. Odds are even if you do the odd article on GW games those people aren't going to start playing Wild West Exodus or Malifaux.

To be blunt, any time I see someone use that excuse for posting GW content I assume that they are just trying to rationalize posting more 'popular' content to drive more traffic to their site. Its understandable. I've done it myself.

It also doesn't work. People who go to read GW content don't tend to come back to read about indie games. Nor do people who play Infinity.

You can be a niche content producer promoting the games you like or you can produce "popular" content. Unless you have a big team like BoW but even they tend to focus on games that have big markets to help fund those teams.

Do what you love. And if you want to try out the new 40K and write about it then do that. Just don't try to rationalize it.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 10:23:41 PM »
"The Start Collecting boxes are certainly inexpensive but the rest of the range is still at GW pricing."

This isn't quite true.  The characters have gone up significantly in price but most other things have either stayed the same price or actually come down in price per figure. 

But even with that there are some real deals out there if you are interested in getting a whole army together.  I mentioned the start collecting boxes and the stater sets and those really are enough to get you everything you need for a viable force. 

For example if two people split the Prophecy of the Wolf set and then each added the relevant start collecting boxes they would have spent about $180 each and each player would have 4 units plus two characters.  With the relevant codex another box each, for the Orks another box of Boyz and for the marines a redemptor dread both people would have a pretty good force and only spent about $250.

That is far less than I spend on a Historical period typically.  I'm just starting War of the Triple Alliance.  I'm already about $180 in and I have about a third of the stuff I need.   

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 01:48:02 AM »
As I said I play IG, so starter boxes have never done much for me.  That said - I doubt I really need any new models to start.  The necron player in my group is interested but the Marine players are still "meh".  Certainly in our group we could say marines count as primaris just to get a few games in and see if we can spark interest.   Free rules certainly lower the bar for experimenting.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 04:15:22 PM »
40k is 40k. Overpriced models with badly written ruless dessigned to manipulate tournament players and far too many marines.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 07:44:05 PM »
This isn't quite true.  The characters have gone up significantly in price but most other things have either stayed the same price or actually come down in price per figure. 

Those are still GW prices though.

Offline MustContainMinis

• Librarian
    • Must Contain Minis
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 05:09:02 AM »
So many great responses here. I think I am going to skip over the Indomitus boxed set, but do plan to get a few models that I like in a Start Collecting Box and will likely write about them after they come in.