Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:50:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Officers  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Tannenberg

• Librarian
    • Rif Raf Miniatures Ltd
Officers
« on: August 08, 2009, 07:28:23 PM »
Does anyone know if there are any manufactureres out there who make a 28mm seated officer and a private/nco figure?  I'm looking for a couple for my civil war Russians and a couple for my Germans for Latvia 1919.  I've managed to get two cars from the Matchbox Yesteryear range and quite fancy having them converted to staff cars with the afore mentioned figures in them....all suggestions welcome  :) 
“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.”

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Re: Officers
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 08:49:49 PM »
Really tough. There are two groups of miniatures that could work.

1) Brigade games does british/ANZAC drivers. Can't use these as germans even with headswaps, but maybe russians?

2) Copplestone has pilots upper torsos. Ever seen pics of ww1/rcw russian drivers? All black leather. So these would work, but you have to live without the legs or sculpt some.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 09:05:57 PM »
Check artillery crews from Copplestone and Old Glory. They have some seated figures.

Offline Tannenberg

• Librarian
    • Rif Raf Miniatures Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:39:11 PM »
Really tough. There are two groups of miniatures that could work.

1) Brigade games does british/ANZAC drivers. Can't use these as germans even with headswaps, but maybe russians?

2) Copplestone has pilots upper torsos. Ever seen pics of ww1/rcw russian drivers? All black leather. So these would work, but you have to live without the legs or sculpt some.

Thank you both for your suggestions - which I will certainly follow up. The idea of using the Copplestone pilot figures sounds rather appealing for the use of RCW drivers.  Funny enough, I've just found a picture of an Austin-Putilovets armoured car with its crew standing infront of it and  they're wearing the black leather....looks rather fetching  :) However, would the driver be wearing a standard issue cap or something that looks like pilots headgear? (hope that doesn't come across as a silly question).

I also followed up the suggestions made by traveller and I can see the possibilities by using at least two of the RCW artillery crew from Copplestone.  Then I thought of Great War Miniatures and checked them out...again, I could use at least two of the WW1 German artillery crew as well.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 09:41:07 PM by Tannenberg »

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 10:44:57 PM »
If you are looking for drivers I can recommend Grand Manner. They sell some WW1 vehicles incl British drivers (designed by GWM). They also sell the drivers separate. Sloppy Jalopy and Dixon have seated gangster figures that can be converted.

Offline Tannenberg

• Librarian
    • Rif Raf Miniatures Ltd
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 11:35:18 PM »
If you are looking for drivers I can recommend Grand Manner. They sell some WW1 vehicles incl British drivers (designed by GWM). They also sell the drivers separate. Sloppy Jalopy and Dixon have seated gangster figures that can be converted.

Thanks for that traveller...I will follow up on these as well  :)

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 12:02:43 AM »
Assuming late RCW, you can use drivers in British kit for Reds. They used large amounts of captured British equipment. Cut off insignia and go for it.

Offline Tannenberg

• Librarian
    • Rif Raf Miniatures Ltd
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 11:12:19 AM »
Assuming late RCW, you can use drivers in British kit for Reds. They used large amounts of captured British equipment. Cut off insignia and go for it.

I actually like that idea as well Mark :)  It's turning out to be quite an interesting choice of clothing/uniform here  :)   

Online Altius

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 06:53:39 PM »
Sloppy Jalopy has some figures that might work for you with a little conversion. You might also try Blue Moon Manufacturing. I bought this set from them to use with my RCW machine-gun car: http://www.bluemoonmanufacturing.com/view_product.php?product=BMM409

I trimmed some of the details, such as the badge on the chest. I also used putty to make one fella's hat look a little more Russian and turned the other into a fur cap. It would probably be easier just to do a head swap, though. The result looks very good. Just make sure their feet aren't visible since the figures are cut off just below the knees just as shown.

Offline Tannenberg

• Librarian
    • Rif Raf Miniatures Ltd
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 07:09:03 PM »
Very interesting as well....and I can see the possibilities with the figures from Blue Moon Manufacturing!!!!  Can you get these figures in the UK? 

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 07:10:22 PM »
Old Glory U.K. carry them

Offline Tannenberg

• Librarian
    • Rif Raf Miniatures Ltd
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 10:32:03 PM »
Old Glory U.K. carry them

I had a look on the Old Glory UK site but couldn't see them....

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 06:18:39 PM »

Offline Tannenberg

• Librarian
    • Rif Raf Miniatures Ltd
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 06:55:19 PM »
http://www.oldgloryuk.com/disp_item.php?c=393&oc=4925   :o ;)

Thank you for the link traveller...I didn't see them there last time...does this mean I may need glasses lol ;)