Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:22:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 10mm Fieldworks  (Read 990 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
10mm Fieldworks
« on: July 10, 2020, 11:34:54 AM »
Heyhey, I finished those fieldworks for my 10mm Thirty Years War dudes now.

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2020_07/schanzen3.jpg.c12eb3b001ad052c506b28d746abb807.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2020_07/schanzen1.jpg.8d088b6e6589bab849dbc448d882e011.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2020_07/schanzen2.jpg.038b5a63aa82dd9716441da14a6d64ba.jpg

Just two for now. They should work for most of the period up to the mid 19th century really, I suppose. However, the size of the boards and gabions (as variable as they are :P ) kinda restrict them to 10mm figures. Too big for 6mm, way too small for 15s I think. Each will hold a full unit (of variable depth) or 10cm frontage or two bases of artillery. Hope you like them! :) Any idea for how to improve the things?

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: 10mm Fieldworks
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 12:09:07 PM »
I think they look great as they are  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 12:31:23 PM »
I think they look great as they are  8)

+1

8)

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 12:51:53 PM »
Agree, they look fine as they are but if you build some more you might add things like a broken wheel or a barrel or maybe even a dead body mostly buried, some artillery ram rods or discarded muskets, etc.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 07:34:01 AM »
They look good - how have you made them?

As to making them work for multiple scales, even if you just make them as bare earth I think the size will tend to make them too big for 6mm. They might work for 15mm ok - I have some WWII cover markers that are 15mm but work well with 10mm

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 08:46:21 AM »
@OSHIROmodels: Thanks! :)

@AKULA: Much obliged, Sir.

@FifteensAway: Cheers! Yeah, I found the earth itself to be a bit plain looking. Chucking debris as you mentioned onto them (or built into the inner structure for support is a good idea.

@fred: Thanks. :) Good point about the sizes. Problem with using these with 15mm figures is that the height of the earth wall isn't that great. Even the 10mm chaps look a bit distressed about parts of their fortifications barely reaching up to their chests. :D But yeah, it should work for 15mm with a bit of goodwill. The jump from 10mm to 15mm is also not as big as the jump down from 10mm to 6mm of course. The footprint of the pieces is also pretty big. With 6mm figures they'll more likely look like a hill rather than anything people without access to bulldozers made. :D

Here's how they were made:
Very simple stuff really - cut bases out of plasticard, then I built the basic structure of the earth wall out of bits of blue foam, slapped on some milliput to connect the foam bits and sculpt the general shape of the walls. Then I applied some of that ready-made spackle from a hardware store to smooth things out.

While that was drying I put in the gabions. These I'd made out of green stuff over the days before that. About 50/50 out of a press mould I'd made and the rest is made one by one by hand (roll glob of GS around a toothpick, smooth out by rolling it over steel ruler, give it a wicker-y texture [I used my pin vise's mounting thread for horizontal grooves and sculpted in the vertical ones with a hobby knife). Gluing/pushing in the gabions was the most tricky partof the whole thing some I left whole, others I cut in half to give them the appearance of being worked into the earthworks a bit more than others. I needed a lot of those bloody things; about 40-50 for both fortification bases altogether.

Once that was dry (or dry enough) I applied some texture (I used Vallejo's texture stuff) to the earth parts and the tops of the gabions. I also used the texture to fill gaps where needed. While the texture was still wet I cut bits of toothpicks into little "boards" (basically as thin as possible. I managed to get 5-6 boards out of a piece of toothpick) and pushed those into the texture where the units would be sitting. This is entirely unnecessary (as most of the time it'll be covered by the bases of the troops inside anyway), but looks kinda nice.

...and that's it really. Slap on some paint, some grass, some pigments, done. :)

Bonus: The day after I sat down, got out my sources on the battle of Höchst, and turned them into a wargaming scenario. First I got an overview, looked at in how far my main sources (a scenario book for a GMT hex and counter game. These are available for free and make for amazing sources) and a book about Christian of Braunschweig. Plus some other things online and so on. So I wrote an overview of the orders of battle and adapted them to the rules I want to try this time (in this case In Deo Veritas by Helion). Turns out I didn't have to 'bathtub' anything about it! I got enough figures to represent pretty much everything that was there on the day. Not QUITE of course (some flags are correct by lucky coincidence, and nobody in the world has enough cuirassiers to represent the larger early battles of the war). Cool. Only in the very last step I realized I got too few commander bases! Crap. So yeah, I'm painting commander bases now. but at SOME POINT I'll wargame the battle of Höchst! :D

Bonus Bonus: Last night the author of the excellent Twilight of Divine Right announced a new scenario book, featuring the battle of Höchst as a ready-made wargames scenario. :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 08:56:45 AM by Battle Brush Sigur »