Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:54:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Miniatures New Zulu/Bantu range  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
Pulp Miniatures New Zulu/Bantu range
« on: August 01, 2020, 08:53:17 AM »
These have just been announced on the Pulp Miniatures website. These look quite tasty and well sculpted by Bob Murch.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Pulp Miniatures New Zulu/Bantu range
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 10:44:01 AM »
They look excellent as one has been accustomed expect from Bob Murch  :-*

Are they mean't to be pre-Shaka? Just wondering about the lack of the short stabbing iklwa?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 11:34:02 AM »
Fantastic! Just what the colonial gaming world has been crying out for: Another range of Zulus!

Sorry, sarcasm from the board moderator is a little unbecoming, isn't it?  :)

I like 'em. Sometimes I feel the poses of Pulp figures are a little stiff, but I'd still be more than happy to play with these. Might get some, when I have painted every last Foundry, Empress and Warlord Zulu that I own (haven't even got around to trying out the Perry ones yet).

Are they mean't to be pre-Shaka? Just wondering about the lack of the short stabbing iklwa?

Could be, or it might just be a mistake. An easily fixable one, though.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 11:49:54 AM »
I’ve got the same problem with my lead pile of Zulus Plynkes so I know exactly where your coming from lol
Still going to get some though !!!!
These figures are in the tribal range alongside Neanderthal figures so I don’t think it’s going to evolve into an AZW range.
Nice sculpts though particularly the shields which you can also purchase as separate packs.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 07:14:45 AM »
They look nice. I'm assuming, as they are from pulp miniatures, they are aimed at Tarzan style games ( where the natives always look like Zulus or maybe Maasai) no matter what part of Africa the adventure is set in.

They are pretty generic though take out the Zulu style shield and they could be the basis for conversion to other native peoples.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 09:54:05 AM »
Fantastic! Just what the colonial gaming world has been crying out for: Another range of Zulus!

Sorry, sarcasm from the board moderator is a little unbecoming, isn't it?  :)

I thought exactly the same thing I’m afraid to say lol
And yes, they are stiff. But that’s the Pulp Figures style. A lot of people like it. Unfortunately I’m not one of them. But I guess if you’re into that Pulp Figures cartoony vibe and you need some African warriors to go with your collection, these are the answer.
Can’t honestly see many ‘historical’ wargamers amassing huge Zulu armies made from these however. Too many better, more realistic and natural looking ranges of Zulu out there already.

Still, horses for courses...

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 01:43:37 PM »
The Pulp Zulus are part of the Lost Tribes and Lost Worlds section. There are additional packs of various weapons and various tribal/wicker shields you can purchase if you wish to use the Zulu figures as other African tribes.
Agree they are not as mobile as the Perry or Warlord Zulus but there’s something about them that entices me to buy some to paint up as a small unmarried regiment.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 03:59:05 PM »
The Pulp Zulus are part of the Lost Tribes and Lost Worlds section. There are additional packs of various weapons and various tribal/wicker shields you can purchase if you wish to use the Zulu figures as other African tribes.
Agree they are not as mobile as the Perry or Warlord Zulus but there’s something about them that entices me to buy some to paint up as a small unmarried regiment.

Got you. I just thought I'd pop the question in the event that there had been an oversight. :)