Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:04:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Field of Battle 3rd edition is out -includes campaign rules!  (Read 1617 times)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
For fans of Piquet and Field of Battle, did you know FoB 3 is out?

Brent, over at Piquet Inc., kindly sent me a PDF of Field of Battle 3rd edition a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, he sent it to a old email address and I haven't picked it up until now.

So, just to let you all know, it's out and available. At first glance and perusal it looks good, very good.

At 190 pages it covers a lot of ground and for the first time it includes a full set of campaign rules called Season of Battle. SoB was obviously written to enable FoB campaigns to be played using both sets of rules in tandem, however, both rule sets are stand alone entities so the campaign rules could be used, quite easily, with other table-top rules to fight the battles.

Season of Battle looks like a heavily revised edition of Theatre of War, which worked well the first time around, so I guess this edition can only be better. I do like the idea of this rule combination as it should make for an easy transition between the two game formats - i.e. map to table and back.

I've been looking forward to getting stuck into a campaign for ages. Now I have the rules sorted, I just need to decide on a period and make a map.

Because I haven't printed them off yet, I haven't thoroughly read FoB 3, so I can't tell you what the differences are to earlier editions. My eye was mostly drawn to the campaign rules. When I've printed them, read them and played them, I'll do a review.

Just for full disclosure: As some will know, I have written for Piquet in the past (hence my freebie) but I will make no pecuniary gains from its sales.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Re: Field of Battle 3rd edition is out -includes campaign rules!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 01:40:50 PM »
I'm very pleased with FoB3.  Yet to try the campaign system but I intend too.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 09:25:54 PM »
I've read them through and I'm pretty impressed. Some very elegant mechanisms in there; the original Piquet, while it has some great ideas, has a lot of fiddly rules as well as an initiative system that can result in one side doing nothing all evening.

Offline PBR Streetgang

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 01:43:03 AM »
I have FOB3 which includes quick reference sheets for each conflict covered. Was curious if there are any army roster sheets or gameplay QRS (with basic rules and charts) available anyplace? Thanks!

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 08:52:31 AM »
You might like to join at the link below.  PK players post the sort of thing you are looking for and lots more too.

https://groups.io/g/PiquetFieldofBattle

Offline PBR Streetgang

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 09:54:27 PM »
Thanks OB! I just joined, much appreciated!

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 10:10:32 AM »
No problem, enjoy the game.