Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:22:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686498
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My first 10mm (Pendraken) miniatures  (Read 5755 times)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Re: My first 10mm (Pendraken) miniatures
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2020, 10:24:50 PM »
Excellent!  I started painting Pendraken ACW two years ago and absolutely love them.  Yours are far better than mine.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2020, 12:37:42 AM »
World's top wargames company.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2020, 12:41:11 AM »
World's top wargames company.

I knew you'd say that.  :D

Top notch painting Mr Rivers!!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2020, 01:08:43 AM »
Thanks folk! You make me happy!  :)

Yours are far better than mine.

You know, I remember 45 years ago when I painted my first 15mm minis. They were from the ACW and had just a basic paint job. The Yanks had light blue pants, deep blue coats and flesh for the hands and face. There was no shading or highlighting, but I still remember how proud I was of those minis. I showed them to anyone who would look.

Enjoy your hobby and rest assured, if you want, you will get better at it over time. I guarantee it.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 08:00:04 AM »
BTW... did you see the ear on that drummer?

I noticed that  ;)

I’m expecting to see the fingernails on the next batch  lol

Online jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2020, 08:30:53 AM »
They look great.  If you are going to put more figures into a battalion then could I suggest you cram them in more rather than make your battalion bigger?  They look a little spread out at the minute.  eg could you fit four wide onto a base?

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2020, 10:48:33 AM »
could you fit four wide onto a base?

Yep, 4 would fit, but just barely. That actually makes more sense as it would give me 8 per base, 3 bases, 24 men per regiment. That is a much more standard basing scheme. Perhaps I will try that on my next regiment and see how they look.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2020, 08:13:13 PM »
I think you will have no trouble getting 4 of the riflemen on the frontage, as they are sidewise on. But for the command figures who are front on, 4 across may be tricky. You could of course just have 3 in the front rank of that base.

I have found with 10mm the number of figures you can fit in a given frontage can vary quite a bit - but this is rarely a problem, as the number of figures is far more about the aesthetic look of the unit than any strict figure ratio. As once they are based up and on the table, its pretty hard to count the number of figures!!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2020, 09:28:25 PM »
I think you will have no trouble getting 4 of the riflemen on the frontage, as they are sidewise on. But for the command figures who are front on, 4 across may be tricky. You could of course just have 3 in the front rank of that base.

I have found with 10mm the number of figures you can fit in a given frontage can vary quite a bit - but this is rarely a problem, as the number of figures is far more about the aesthetic look of the unit than any strict figure ratio. As once they are based up and on the table, its pretty hard to count the number of figures!!

True enough.

The minis in this regiment are "en garde" I believe you call it, so yep they are sideways and the base kinda looks a little sparse. The other line minis are running and charging, so they will have their shoulders fully front facing and I think they will fill the base much better. You also have firing miniatures which are kinda half and half.

You see the problem is trying to represent the organization of the time. Bases, not miniature numbers are the basic way of determining unit size. In this case each base represents 1 battalion of infantry and 3 bases represents 1 regiment. Cavalry have approximately 1/3rd the amount of men in a regiment than infantry (one base of 6 men). So 3 cavalry figures on 2 bases will work well for a regiment (6 cavalrymen in total). Each Corps also had a battalion of Chasseurs... which is once again 1/3rd the amount of men in a regiment. The Chasseurs come in running and firing poses and my plan is to have one base of 6 men running (for movement and normal in line duty) and 3 bases of 2 men firing to represent the battalion in open formation. That is the plan.

I could have done this with a 25mm wide base, but the figures would have been packed in; especially the cavalry. So in the end it comes down to what esthetic you like the most and I choose more spacing so I can see the troops and at the same time have a nice base.

So for me personally, I really like the way the regiment is presented, it's just my style.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2020, 10:01:37 PM »
cracking job :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2020, 12:43:48 AM »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2020, 01:22:38 AM »
BTW... does anybody have any information on French battalion fanions?

For the life of me I can't seem to pin this down.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2020, 11:13:31 PM »
True enough.

The minis in this regiment are "en garde" I believe you call it, so yep they are sideways and the base kinda looks a little sparse. The other line minis are running and charging, so they will have their shoulders fully front facing and I think they will fill the base much better. You also have firing miniatures which are kinda half and half.

You see the problem is trying to represent the organization of the time. Bases, not miniature numbers are the basic way of determining unit size. In this case each base represents 1 battalion of infantry and 3 bases represents 1 regiment. Cavalry have approximately 1/3rd the amount of men in a regiment than infantry (one base of 6 men). So 3 cavalry figures on 2 bases will work well for a regiment (6 cavalrymen in total). Each Corps also had a battalion of Chasseurs... which is once again 1/3rd the amount of men in a regiment. The Chasseurs come in running and firing poses and my plan is to have one base of 6 men running (for movement and normal in line duty) and 3 bases of 2 men firing to represent the battalion in open formation. That is the plan.

I could have done this with a 25mm wide base, but the figures would have been packed in; especially the cavalry. So in the end it comes down to what esthetic you like the most and I choose more spacing so I can see the troops and at the same time have a nice base.

So for me personally, I really like the way the regiment is presented, it's just my style.

Now you have explained this, I very much like your basing style. I have a suggestion though: how about making two bases a battalion instead of one? And having a Regimental HQ base? So a whole regiment of 3 battalions would be seven 30 x 30 bases including a pretty HQ. The idea of that is that you can have a very simple representation of casualty removal when a battalion gets knocked about a bit and is down to half strength. Would that fit in with the rules you intend to use? 
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2020, 11:20:43 PM »
I don’t know how you achieve that level of paintwork on such small minis fella...amazing!

As for a French fandoms, presumably they would have similar scheme to that used in the Napoleonic wars?

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2020, 12:43:08 AM »
I don’t know how you achieve that level of paintwork on such small minis fella...amazing!

As for a French fandoms, presumably they would have similar scheme to that used in the Napoleonic wars?

Thanks mate. If you had one of these miniatures, I don't think you would find it hard to paint. You have to adjust your style a bit, but they aren't really difficult.

As for the fanions, I just can't find a source to confirm what they looked like. The Napoleonic ones are well known and easy to track down.