Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:46:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Sort of battle report p.9) Warhammer assorted-ness.  (Read 24750 times)

Online voltan

• Mastermind
Re: (Great cannon and some Altdorf chaps P2)Warhammer Empire characters.
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2022, 07:31:51 PM »
Kinda bought a castle the other week. It's the Renedra small castle with a few extra bits to hopefully make some of the converting easier (though I did forget to order the movement trays I wanted)

Stealing mercilessly Being heavily inspired by jon_1066's build https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=91272.0 there's going to be very little built as it should be. Ok  I have started with a standard tower and wall section just to get an idea of how the parts go together, (so many, many gaps) but the tower is only two floors high like jon_1066's, it would have been to overpowering otherwise so I'm especially grateful he did his first.

Future plans are limited to low gatehouse (stolen idea again) octagonal tower (seeing the pattern yet :P) and after that winging it madly hoping for the best. My kit is intended more a town wall based in the empire somewhere rather than a castle, but if I end up being able to form a castle, that'll be a nice bonus.

Now for the real start to the barmeyness;  it seemed that an Empire town would need somewhere more than the tops of towers for their artillery so stealing mercilessly from Henry VIII being inspired by the Henrician gun forts I've started a wall section with an artillery platform, though figuring out how to get the crenellations to fit is going to be fun. I've an idea for another platform that will use wall sections rather than parts from the tower like this one did.
Yvan eht nioj!

Online voltan

• Mastermind
Re: (Castle-ish P3)Warhammer Empire army.
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2022, 05:24:45 PM »
Went a bit old school with a small unit of foot reiksguard, bases like usual are waiting till after varnishing.

Also a bit more castling happened, so slowly but surely it's getting done.

Edit: dammit, just noticed I've not painted the leaders crown thing.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2022, 08:25:25 PM »
Looking great!  That artillery platform is the schnizzle.  I will follow with interest.  I really enjoyed converting the kit.  The main problem I ran into was a shortage of crenelations.  Perhaps for the platform some kind of gun ports would be better than trying to fit the crenelations to that shape.

Online voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2022, 02:41:59 PM »
Cheers, it may be slow progress as my attention span wanders.

I did order some extra crenelations with the kit but have realised it wasn't enough, I was going to remove every other merlon to give wider gaps but I've been putting it off as I can't think of a way to get them to fit the curve, or rather can't think of a practical way yet. Hopefully something will suggest itself before I finish the other platform I've planned, though that one may end up being angular instead of curved for sanity's sake. ;D

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2022, 01:42:11 PM »
Lovely stuff Voltan - always nice to see classic WHFB figs all painted up!

Your castle is coming along nicely too, and is already looking very impressive. It occurred to me that another (perhaps additional?) option to set artillery upon the castle would be to create some form of timber gallery that sits at and over the battlements, with wooden shutters over smallish openings along the structure's length that can be lifted up to fire the cannons out of (think of galleries of cannon on old ships for an idea of what I'm trying to explain). Whilst it might not be strictly historically accurate to have cannons mounted like that (I think...?), it is certainly well within what would seem reasonable for the setting, and smaller versions of these timber galleries for archers/crossbowmen were indeed a real feature on several real-world castles. I wouldn't do this on all walls, of course, but I think it'd be a great feature to have on one or two walls, and it would be quite practical from a gaming perspective too. It'd also save you messing about with the spacing of the crenellations too. :)

Online voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2022, 02:01:31 PM »
Thanks, I have been considering building some hoardings for the walls, but I'm undecided on wether they'd fit the look I'm going for, but then again when's that ever stopped anyone  :D. Though using them for artillery is an interesting idea I can't get the thought out of my head that the weight of the cannon would mean you're just dropping it through the floor onto the enemy instead of firing, unless that's considered a viable tactic.

The other problem is I've been reading about the Tudor navy recently so might, get distracted building a ship, the Emmanuelle rose maybe.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2022, 02:39:25 PM »
Looking promising  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2022, 02:50:59 PM »
[...] I can't get the thought out of my head that the weight of the cannon would mean you're just dropping it through the floor onto the enemy instead of firing, unless that's considered a viable tactic.

Yes, the thought occurred to me too, although I feel that makes it *more* Warhammer!  lol  I also wondered about how the cannons would get up there, but I suppose ramps and cranes are both possible answers, as well as magic? ;)

Another solution might be to make a second wall with a wider set just above battlements level (like an inverted "L") that you can place so that it extends the regular battlements make them deep enough to put artillery upon? You'd be back into cannons firing past the crenellations again though, but it would be practical and removable from a gaming perspective. Maybe the whole thing could be combined with the timber hoarding approach as well, so that the hoarding is on a stone platform set inside the castle, and is placed against/onto the wall of your choice.

Incidentally, I have assumed that the castle would be at least somewhat modular and that you planned to play games on it (because that's what I'd do), but my apologies for all the suggestions if this is intended to be a fixed-layout terrain piece that's more for scenic use.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2022, 02:54:05 PM »
No idea with respect to hoardings' but given that cannons were used on ships, without falling through the deck, I think that gives you a 'good enough for a fantasy setting' answer ;-)

If you wanted an excuse for smaller guns, in the line of Bronzino's Galloper Guns, that's also another way to make hoardings work...
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Online voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2022, 04:44:19 PM »
Incidentally, I have assumed that the castle would be at least somewhat modular and that you planned to play games on it (because that's what I'd do)

Oh yeah, it's always been the plan to build it for gaming, the idea is to have it more as a city wall set up with the option for a castle setup if I don't run out of parts.

, I think that gives you a 'good enough for a fantasy setting' answer ;-)

I'm always happy to use Xena's ;) 'A wizard did it' defence.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2022, 06:28:11 PM »
For the record, I like the semi-circular gun platform over any possible octohedral one.  lol :D

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Online voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2022, 07:43:16 PM »
Alrighty, here's a bit more work/rough draft of the platforms walling. Deciding how to shape the gaps, will have a think about it.

Online voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2022, 06:41:52 PM »
I'm sure when I restarted into Fantasy I was supposed to be painting Brettonians, ah well, here's the start of a small Halfling army.
First up is some converted crazed cooks, the only things posted so far and a group shot of what is built so far, there's a small pile of mantic stuff still to work through and I've had an idea for a scratch built treeman depending on if I distract myself.

As an aside I think this is the first time I've used figures from 5 companies in one shot.

As another aside, the castle's slowely progressing but nothing worth taking photos of at the moment.

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
Re: (The Halflings are coming P3)Warhammer Empire army.
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2022, 11:03:27 PM »
Quote from: voltan

I have to admit, when I first saw this picture I assumed this was some kind of "drunken knight" unit!  lol

https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Online voltan

• Mastermind
Re: (The Halflings are coming P3)Warhammer Empire army.
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2022, 04:31:39 PM »
Let's not go to Camelot, tis a silly place.  ;D