Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:52:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: “The scrap in Teutoburg thicket!” - "Malo mori quam foedari”  (Read 13879 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: “The scrap in Teutoburg thicket!” - A witch!
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2021, 03:49:38 PM »
Finally got my hands on the new Archers.

Pretty cool minis.    However, as i need units of eight, I have some Eastern archers to swap for four Western if anyone wants to contact me please.

Also I’ve started putting the cavalry together, they ain’t brilliant figures (why so bloody tall?) but they should all look fine when I get round to painting them.

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2021, 07:40:15 AM »
Hi Digits.   I'm just wanting the Eastern Roman Archers.   We could do business :)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2021, 06:23:49 PM »
Pm me when you have your swaps then fella, cheers.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: “The scrap in Teutoburg thicket!” - finishing the project!
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2023, 03:45:05 PM »
Whilst I’m going about digging up and progressing a few old projects, I realise I really want this one done so I can play with it a bit.

The Germans were pretty much done, though I still have half a dozen javelin throwers and a few supports to paint.  I now realise I could do with a handful of fanatics, and as I have literally six shields done and unused, I will tackle these sharpish.

I have to put together a dozen Roman Auxiliary cavalry and then get painting Romans.

I still want to get hold of four Western archers, so if anyone wants swaps ( ie they are collecting Eastern) then please drop me a message?

I don’t suppose anyone has a picture of the Warlord Hail Ceasar Engineers alongside Victrix Romans do they?   Not sure whether to buy or not?

Anyway, let’s get these on the table…..

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2023, 08:34:37 AM »
Sorry Digits, no picture cos I'm really crap at technical stuff but I do have Victrix Romans and WG Engineers. I supplemented the Warlord Engineers with those from Foundry and they mix Ok  but I found Victrix to be quite a bit bigger in scale. In fact if I recall, the original WG Romans were nearer 25mm. Hope this helps

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2023, 08:52:12 AM »
Thanks for that JB….oh well, that knocks that idea on the head then!   They weren’t necessary I suppose but I do need to get an engineers cart…..I can just have a Victrix auxiliary walking it.

Anyway, cavalry and fanatics built and primed.   So, just this little lot ahead of me to paint…..let’s hope for a dose of mojo to kick me on…..

The only other thing I need is some Germanic cavalry.   I need to look at what else Victrix have that can I supplement or modify….failing which, I wonder how the Warlord Germanic cavalry match up, probably not from what JB mentions above!

Edit:  may not have to worry about engineers….Victrix close to releasing this, with the crew being made to be used as engineers too.

Perhaps I wait another three years and the Germanic cavalry will be released too? Lol
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 09:20:05 AM by Digits »

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2023, 09:18:37 AM »
Awesome project love ll the new additions and looking forward to seeing the cavalry.

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2023, 09:40:26 AM »
The WG German Cav have great riders but emaciated horses.  Scale is ok w  Victrix.   

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2023, 09:18:41 PM »
It's a bit odd with WG, the Roman Auxilia scale quite nicely with Victrix and yet dwarf the regular Legionarys?!? Having said that, the Engineers are a separate unit I squeezed them in with a medicus etc etc, I blame the Lardies meself. . .  .

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: “The scrap in Teutoburg thicket!” - Germanics done
« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2023, 02:03:43 PM »
Thankfully finished the Germanics….I don’t paint flesh very well at all…..so these guys are grubby!

Anyway, I painted the six javeliners

Decided against war paint as it isn’t historically backed up, and instead decided to represent my fanatics with a series of facial / body injuries.   Nothing screams fanatic at me more than a blood soaked savage that has obviously survived his first contacts!

Still needs flocking, but he Germans are done…..now for a few Romans!

Offline cadbren

• Librarian
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2023, 04:31:32 AM »
Whilst I’m going about digging up and progressing a few old projects, I realise I really want this one done so I can play with it a bit.

The Germans were pretty much done, though I still have half a dozen javelin throwers and a few supports to paint.  I now realise I could do with a handful of fanatics, and as I have literally six shields done and unused, I will tackle these sharpish.

I have to put together a dozen Roman Auxiliary cavalry and then get painting Romans.

I still want to get hold of four Western archers, so if anyone wants swaps ( ie they are collecting Eastern) then please drop me a message?

I don’t suppose anyone has a picture of the Warlord Hail Ceasar Engineers alongside Victrix Romans do they?   Not sure whether to buy or not?

Anyway, let’s get these on the table…..

They'd be based separately from the Victrix guys right so should be fine. There is a centurion and engineers set from Wargames Foundry. The mounted officer would definitely not go with Victrix but the three engineers are slightly chunkier and larger than the Warlord Games ones. I assume you have seen the Warlord Games medicus set?

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2023, 09:10:13 AM »
I think the Foundry Imperial Roman figures are quite small vs Victrix. Lovely figures but more "25mm" than heroic 28mm.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2023, 10:41:20 AM »
Cheers guys…I’ve decided to stick as best as I can to Victrix so I will use the manuballista crew as engineers ( I just need a good looking cart to go with them).

I also ordered a couple of characters from Gangs of Rome to represent a medic.  The biggest current headache is Germanic cavalry.    I’m tempted just to wait it out until Victrix tackle them…..or if I feel the desire thst strongly, I could try and convert some Roman cavalry….thus representing Armenius’s cavalry turncoats…..
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 12:01:07 PM by Digits »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2023, 10:57:16 AM »
Warbases produce a nice Roman "engineer's cart" in mdf together with a resin casting of various equipment. Recommended.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2023, 12:01:33 PM »
Thanks I will take a look.