Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:45:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm - More stuff for Normandy and beyond.  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
15mm - More stuff for Normandy and beyond.
« on: July 14, 2020, 03:20:57 PM »
Hey folks.

Decided to delve into a bit of WW2 as I've recently started paying a bit more interest in the subject following a sudden obsession with the game Hell Let Loose on the PC. Initially I wanted to do some early war stuff but decided on Normandy as it's the one campaign I know something about. I've never painted any WW2 figures at all let alone anything like German Tank camo for 1944 but decided as Germans were the universal enemy I'd start with them.

I got my hands on an Air-spray and used it to apply the Dunkelgelb, but everything else was done by brush and sponge.

So here it is:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 11:35:48 AM by Brummie »

Offline Magos Kasen

• Bookworm
Re: First attempt at a 15mm WW2 German Tank (for Normandy)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 07:59:53 AM »
Looks great, I really like the colour scheme. I've always struggled to get one I was happy with. I like the colours you've used too, mind sharing them?

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 08:20:10 AM »
It's excellent, just needs some shading and weathering.
Well done for starting WW2 gaming in 3 dimensions! Keep us informed how you progress.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline DCRBrown

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 08:28:26 AM »

Excellent!

As said, a bit of weathering, etc, and you're there, superb model. 8)

DB

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 09:03:11 AM »
Thanks all! Good to know its on point!

Looks great, I really like the colour scheme. I've always struggled to get one I was happy with. I like the colours you've used too, mind sharing them?

I used Vallejo Uniform Green (084) and Red Leather (136) these were the paints I had on hand that I felt got as close to the actual standard colours provided as possible. I suspect they're probably a tad bright but I think on 15mm thats not so bad. The air spray paint I used for the base colour was Dark Yellow (RAL7028). Although interestingly I used GW Zandri Dust as the base, which I can't tell if it was a mistake becase Vals Dark Yellow is only one shade darker! So could barely see the difference.

I've had a look at chipping and adding some weathering effects as the Tiger does look a bit 'fresh' but that might be a future endeavor as I may have to practice on some stuff first. Not yet confident with that ability yet!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 09:05:50 AM by Brummie »

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 10:01:54 AM »
as others have said a bit of weathering and it will be fine

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 11:35:30 AM »
:-* By Jove, I think he's got it!  :-*

Whatever you do, don't make that Tiggy yer first weathering attempt, try that on an 'umble Stug or 222...
six months from now you don't want yer bestest, bestest tank to look crap, because by then The Force will have become strong within you!

::)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 09:59:31 PM »
Nice job.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 06:36:03 PM »
Simple weathering?

Get some Games Workshop Agrax Earthshade or similar dark brown ink, water it down a little bit, and smother that thing in it.

If you're not confident, paint a sample piece on a bit of card using the base colours and dry brush that to see how it looks, better yet on a piece of sprue or something with edges.

Then assuming you are familiar with drybrushing, a very light dry brush of Zandri dust, which will pick out corners and highlights (especially on the zimmerit)

Same using a steel or gunmetal colour on the tracks and tow cables.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Re: Spotters!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 07:06:49 PM »
Cheers for the tips guys. The Tiger in the photo has been inked & highlighted, but it might not be noticeable from the photo, so I think it requires another layer  :)

I decided to take a step further with the Support/Spotter vehicles for my Stug units (as Harry says it dont want to put the Tiger at risk  lol) and try some proper gunge effects and paint chipping (latter using a sponge) I'm not sure if chipping works at 15mm when something is camo heavy but I'll see what you all think.

This is a Sd253 OB vehicle from Forged in Battles nice little range.

Also I've recently decided to aim towards separate 'forces' so to speak representing different German units. Specifically because I want an excuse to cover all the barmy sh*t in use by 21st Panzer Division whilst not forgetting all the more slick kit (Tigers, Panthers etc).

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Re: Further down the rabbit hole: German Observation Vehicle.
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 07:16:12 PM »
Thought I'd post a photo with the Half-track and Tiger together with the WIP in the background.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
15mm - More stuff for Normandy and beyond.
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 11:34:54 AM »
Vehicles are as follows-
Inaccurate Panther 2 - Tracks and turret from Peter Pig, Chassis from PSC.
Panhard with 50mm - Peter Pig
Marders - PSC
Sd252 ammunition vehicle - Forged in Battles StuG Battery Support set.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: 15mm - More stuff for Normandy and beyond.
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 01:38:57 PM »
Nice work.

Offline Ceeteegee

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 07:55:45 PM »
21st Panzer. A man after my own heart. The ingenuity of Alfred Becker leads me to believe he must've had one hell of a garden shed. 

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 05:27:02 PM »
21st Panzer. A man after my own heart. The ingenuity of Alfred Becker leads me to believe he must've had one hell of a garden shed.

He had turned welding AT guns to stuff that had no right carrying such ordnance into an art form  lol.

Something I've always wanted to have in my armies especially the German forces is the bizarre mix of armour that was present. I have a lot of family and friends vaguely interested in WW2 from a purely online gaming sense and although they'll perhaps never be interested enough to engage with the history via their own research they've shown interest in doing some light tabletop gaming and I thought it'd be a golden opportunity to show just how desperate the Germans were by 1944 so 21st Panzer were a must  :).

I've also recently come across the Battle for La Fiere with U.S paratroopers being attacked by "100th panzer replacement battalion" with R35s and older Panzer 3s and thought this would be a cool battle to recreate (I've got the Paras, just need the R35s!), and have also considered a possible mini scenario for the Liberation of Paris but terrain wise this could be quite considerable so will take a lot of extra planning.