Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:14:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Blood in Space  (Read 2645 times)

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Blood in Space
« on: July 14, 2020, 04:59:01 PM »
Had my first solo sci-fi game in ages with a ruleset I bought a couple of years ago and barely used; Blood in Space.

It's quite a fun game though my crew got stomped, except the one who got captured that we've now got to go and rescue.

Mine is the older copy but I understand there's a revised version available on Wargamesvault for only a few quid.

Overall I liked it and think I'll try to get a campaign going.

20200714_143802 by markndebs, on Flickr

20200714_154156 by markndebs, on Flickr

20200714_153212 by markndebs, on Flickr

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: Blood in Space
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 08:44:21 PM »
Good looking table. Many 2-liter bottles gave their lives for this terrain! lol.

What is the source for the ship in the first image?

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 08:52:49 PM »
I could be wrong, but it looks like Thunderbird 2

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 05:35:57 AM »
Good looking table. Many 2-liter bottles gave their lives for this terrain! lol.

What is the source for the ship in the first image?

Indeed they did. A very cheap table overall, it's all free cardstock, tin cans and things I was given.

As AKULA said it started life as a Thunderbird toy.

I cut off the rear fin, filled in the windows and added guns from some 25 pence plastic tanks, wheels off a similarly priced jeep; cockpit is a McFlurry spoon I found outside our local MacDonalds.

20190405_205833 by markndebs, on Flickr

20190415_101821 by markndebs, on Flickr

20190415_103612 by markndebs, on Flickr

20190418_182337 by markndebs, on Flickr

20190418_182151 by markndebs, on Flickr

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 06:24:20 AM »
Love the space ship!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 06:56:16 AM »
Great table! Brilliant work on the starship.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 10:59:15 AM »
I gave Blood In Space a few run throughs a year or so back - I enjoyed the novelty of a procedural driven space crawler-type game and wrote up a partial battle report or two about it - my blog still gets a trickle of hits on it, so there are people who are interested.

It goes one step beyond many solo games engines in the manner in which enemies reactions are randomised but kind of clever.  E.g., rather than just 'attack the nearest enemy', there are things like 'attack the least powerful opponent', 'support an ally'... things with a tad more flavour than many games.

Blood In Space is the sci-fi skinning of Blood on the Blade.  My gut feel is the engine would work better with more of a melee focus than your standard sci-fi fare.  Maybe it's time I dusted it off again.

PS I love your cardboard terrain - I recognised it straight away and am a big fan of it myself  :)

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 12:00:28 PM »
Cheers for the compliments.

Bermanj - do you have a link to your blog?

I have Blood on the Blade too but have avoided it as I already play a lot of Frostgrave and Sellswords and Spellslingers.

Might need to print it off and have a go.

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 11:49:54 AM »
Bermanj - do you have a link to your blog?

Sure.   Try this link https://southernbermanblog.blogspot.com/2019/02/bad-juju-blood-in-space.html

I ended up finishing a few more games but never was happy with the write-ups/photos.  The needing to level up and 'grow' my heroes also felt like a bit of a chore... ultimately it just wasn't quite for me, but then again, what ever is  lol

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 06:31:18 PM »
Sure.   Try this link https://southernbermanblog.blogspot.com/2019/02/bad-juju-blood-in-space.html

I ended up finishing a few more games but never was happy with the write-ups/photos.  The needing to level up and 'grow' my heroes also felt like a bit of a chore... ultimately it just wasn't quite for me, but then again, what ever is  lol

So have you ever found a solo sci fi you like?

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 11:18:45 AM »
I've got Blood in Space too. I like some of its ideas, though have yet to try it out. I find the enemy stats a bit too prescriptive so need to get round to creating my own....one day!

Personally, I like Five Parsecs from Home. I've posted a couple of games on my blog and am using lockdown to paint up my lead mountain and increase my scenery so that I can campaign to my heart's content.
https://fiveparsecs.blogspot.com
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 12:59:46 PM »
I've got Blood in Space too. I like some of its ideas, though have yet to try it out. I find the enemy stats a bit too prescriptive so need to get round to creating my own....one day!

Personally, I like Five Parsecs from Home. I've posted a couple of games on my blog and am using lockdown to paint up my lead mountain and increase my scenery so that I can campaign to my heart's content.
https://fiveparsecs.blogspot.com

I've already adapted the enemy sheets to fit the minis in my collection for Blood in Space.

I have, and have played, 5 Parsecs and Salvage Crew but find the between game stuff a bit offputting; sometimes the dice rolling and maths  seems to take me longer than the game!!!!

I'll play more Blood in Space before I make a decision. If I prefer combat from 5 Parsecs then I will most likely take some time and work out how to reduce the between game work.

BTW I love your DIY Space Station.

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 06:24:11 PM »
BTW I love your DIY Space Station.

Thanks - very much inspired by (read "copied from") Spacejacker - http://tinysolitarysoldiers.blogspot.com/2014/08/5-parsecs-continues.html though his is so much better.

I'm looking forward to following this post.

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 12:07:57 PM »
So have you ever found a solo sci fi you like?

It would be a bit strong to infer that I didn't like BiS.  But have I found a solo sci-fi* that I really rate.  Unfortunately, no.  That's one reason I am working on my own, like everyone else in lock-down. LOL.

*There are plenty of games that can be played solo but aren't specifically designed with solo gaming in mind.  I like to play grimdark sci-fi adventures using the Rogue Planet game, but that's my personal preference.  Does Rogue Planet come out of the box, 'ready' and written for an instant solo adventure - well no moreso than W40k or 99% of games.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 05:11:10 PM »
It would be a bit strong to infer that I didn't like BiS. 

Suppose my question did come across a bit strong- wasn't my intention.

Really looking for that elusive game that I love - with Fantasy that's definitely Sellswords and Spellslingers (I've even done Sci Fi games with the rules) but not yet got a 99% match for Sci Fi.

Saying that, I did play another game of BiS today and I did enjoy it again.

Now I've got my head around the rules the combat is enjoyable and the between game stuff is not as time consuming as Five Parsecs.