Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:09:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689637
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some new Graham Turner WOTR paintings!  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Some new Graham Turner WOTR paintings!
« on: July 14, 2020, 09:24:57 PM »
Saw these on facebook.

THE BATTLE OF BLORE HEATH

THE HARD ROAD TO TEWKESBURY

THE DECISIVE BLOW

Every painting of late 15th soldiers from Mr Turner is a masterpiece, and they show how such interesting details.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Some new Graham Turner WOTR paintings!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 09:58:49 PM »
Agreed. Brilliant paintings. I’ve got several large format prints of some of his earlier WOTR paintings framed on my wall. I’ll have to look out for these as well. Good spot, Charlie  8)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 10:01:49 PM »
I'm assuming this isn't the same Graham Turner who managed Wolves, Villa, Shrewsbury Town and Hereford?  :)

Love his style. I think I have an Osprey campaign book with his art in it.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 10:08:35 PM »
His paintings are as close as we'll ever get to photos of the era, and he's the person I'd most trust to get all the historical details as correct as is possible.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 10:09:56 PM »
Ah excellent! Always great to see more of his work! Thanks for sharing them here!

I like Somerset in that last one just stumbling in like "Oh! Well this is a disaster!"

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 10:15:07 PM »
I love Graham Turner's work and his attention to detail.

For anyone out there who's interested and not aware Graham Turner has his own web page called Studio 88 and a great Facebook page.

Graham Turner's Studio 88:
https://www.studio88.co.uk/acatalog/Graham_Turner.html

Graham Turner's Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/GrahamTurnerArtist/

Another Late Medieval artist to watch out for is Matthew Ryan who has just had work featured in the Tower of London right next to Henry V's portrait!

Matthew Ryan's Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/matthewryanhistoricalillustrator

Matthew Ryan's Webpage:
http://matthewryanhistoricalillustrator.com/

Two of the very best I think.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 10:14:18 AM »
Why do I now fancy doing a War of the Roses Skirmish game?

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 11:36:08 AM »
I like how these remind you that battlefields are very rarely just empty grass expanses set aside specially for battles. They are dotted with trees, thickets, streams and so on, which he has really captured in a lifelike way here. Those small features must have made a big difference to the micro-level fighting.

My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 06:25:02 PM »
I like how these remind you that battlefields are very rarely just empty grass expanses set aside specially for battles. They are dotted with trees, thickets, streams and so on, which he has really captured in a lifelike way here. Those small features must have made a big difference to the micro-level fighting.

Absolutely right. I’ve got his painting of Tewkesbury, below, on my wall (well, a print of it). It depicts the fateful turning point of the battle as Edward leads his men down into the ditch between hedgerows to meet Somerset’s rash and unsupported advance. It’s a weirdly bucolic and very English scene. It’s recognisably verdant and unkempt English countryside and I think that’s what helps makes many of his paintings feel so real. Well, to us Brits anyway :)
The discombobulating effect of seeing armoured men trying to kill each other in strangely familiar chocolate box rural settings.
It’s what I try to capture on the tabletop!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 08:32:56 AM »

Agreed. They give me lots of ideas to think about concerning the appearance of the gaming table, scale of the game being played, rules concerning formations and how they do or do not move... I'm all in favour of hedges, ditches and such having an effect on the game!

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 09:49:44 PM »
Thanks for posting this!

Graham Turner's work, along with Angus McBride, are two of my favorite historical illustrators.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 06:07:02 AM »
I think that's Peter Dinklage crossing pole arms in the bottom left of that painting...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 08:52:49 AM »
lol
I know what you mean. Quite apart from the resemblance, that figure doesn’t exactly look like he’s fighting for his life, does he? More like he’s trying to hook a particularly tricky apple off a tree...

If I have one criticism of this artist, brilliant as he is, it would be that his rendering of the facial expressions and poses of men fighting for their lives, sometimes look a bit bland or static. He doesn’t seem to quite get that snarling, terrified, pop-eyed desperation that Angus McBride (mostly) got into his scenes of combat. Turner’s scenes of hand to hand fights to the death sometimes look like slightly staid, technical encounters.

I still think he’s brilliant though. Just being picky...  ::)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 10:05:18 AM »
lol
I know what you mean. Quite apart from the resemblance, that figure doesn’t exactly look like he’s fighting for his life, does he? More like he’s trying to hook a particularly tricky apple off a tree...

lol

If I have one criticism of this artist, brilliant as he is, it would be that his rendering of the facial expressions and poses of men fighting for their lives, sometimes look a bit bland or static. He doesn’t seem to quite get that snarling, terrified, pop-eyed desperation that Angus McBride (mostly) got into his scenes of combat. Turner’s scenes of hand to hand fights to the death sometimes look like slightly staid, technical encounters.

I still think he’s brilliant though. Just being picky...  ::)

Yep, right on both counts. Graham Turner is a brilliant figurative artist and right that he sometimes struggles to give that sense of terror in the heat of battle. Oddly enough, it's often easier, if indeed that is the right word, to give a sense of foreboding and terror in (*so called) abstract art.

*Abstract Art- meaning to take from nature.