Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:34:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gondor Swan Knights fun Question  (Read 1553 times)

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Gondor Swan Knights fun Question
« on: July 15, 2020, 04:07:15 AM »

"And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the Lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses"

Hello All,

Just a fun food for thought question related to the Swans Knights of Dol Amroth.  Now I am a firm believer that all the Tolkien's imagery was taken from Dark Age legends; Beowulf, Song of Roland, Vikings Sagas, etc.  aka Mail not Plate!   ;)

With that what did he imagine when writing the Knights in "full Harness"    I am not a horse person; does full harness means a type of tack, or horse equipment.  If that is the case please let me know. 

I imagine it refers to equipment.  What if it meant the Knight AND the horse were armored.  This would make the Knight of Dol Amroth the Cataphracts of Middle Earth.  A legacy to Roman/Byzantine Cataphracts which Gondor draws some inspiration from. 

What say you to this idea?  Would the Swan Knights be cool as Cataphracts?

Thanks

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
    • The Miniature World of Wilgut Spleens
Re: Gondor Swan Knights fun Question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 05:58:18 AM »
Its very open to interpretation and ultimately depends on your vision of Middle Earth. I first read this when I was 10 and in my mind they will always be armoured in plate of about late 13th to early 14th century, the only real mention of their armour is the "burnished vambrace". Vambrace appeared early 14 th century. I have no issue with mixed tecgnologies, to my mind in a work of fantasy that includes talking walking trees, magic rings, giant spiders etc, there is nothing incongrous in mixing Dark Age technology (Anglo Saxon Rohirrim) and later medieval as well as the Neolithic Woses and the occasional pocket watch and waist coat combo. It is what ever your imagination makes it and nothing wrong at all with Byzantine cataphracts.
I have a bad case of prescient nostalgia. The future's not what it used to be.

https://wilgut.blogspot.com/

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 06:26:53 AM »
I thought the Games Workshop interpretation was quite good.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 06:42:52 AM »
Its very open to interpretation and ultimately depends on your vision of Middle Earth.

This 100%  :)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 09:20:14 AM »
The "harness" in the line appears to refer specifically to the knights and not their horses, but even what that means is obviously very open to interpretation.
I'm not sure of the historical usage of the term in English, but etymologically related terms "Harnisch" in German and "harnas" in Dutch typically refer to full suits of 15/16th century armour; and from that word I certainly would never picture something that's mainly just mail.
Of course, it's also next-to impossible to picture something independent of the usual depictions of the Swan Knights at this stage, so in my mind they will almost automatically ride some kind of barded horses (already not very fitting for Dark Age folks), and wear some mash-up of late Byzantine and 13th century western European armour. (So like the pictured cataphract, with mail covering most of the body, a tabard and a heater shield. And swan decorations, of course. A lot of swan decorations.)
While I've never pictured the Swan Knights as cataphracts, there also isn't much saying they couldn't be! Certainly fits into the Byzantine connections, and as they've existed for centuries, also doesn't actually feel "too modern" for the setting. Maybe with the horse's armour only fully on the front, tapering off towards the back to look like wings... And in the brighest of shining metal of course!
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 10:51:50 AM »
My thoughts echo Wikgut’s.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 12:21:02 PM »
My favourite interpretation was the Der Kriegspieler's Swan Knight:

There are three in the middle, one with lance and long blue pennant.

When I was a kid I order a single pack (all I could afford) but sadly, when it arrived, it was horribly mis-cast. And looking at pics on the web these days I don't see any castings that look as nice as that in the original ad!

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
    • The Miniature World of Wilgut Spleens
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 03:14:50 PM »
I made mine from GW Knights of Minas Tirith

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 04:38:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies, good perspective, especially the do what is fun. 

Offline Totleben

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
  • Mad wallah, resident sebastokrator
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 04:47:08 PM »
Awesome heraldry  :-*