Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:50:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Franco Prussian War 3 Ups!  (Read 20422 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Perry Franco Prussian War 3 Ups!
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2020, 09:43:16 PM »
If you are looking for photographs of La Hitte pieces, you could try contacting the curators at the Museu Militar Conde de Linhares in Rio de Janeiro. It’s an excellent museum and has examples of many of the arms used in the Paraguayan War. I’m sure they would be happy to oblige.

rp.mmcl@mhexfc.eb.mil.br

The Museo de Armas de la Nacion in Buenos Aires has a superb collection of armaments from colonial times to the Falklands as well as uniform items so Alan might want to contact them.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2020, 09:46:17 PM »
Yes indeed we did chat way back John. Interesting comments. I second the 1871 type rules as an amazing mine of information.
JM

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2020, 04:53:01 AM »
This is the period that I've painted WAY more figures for that I had no expectation of painting any figures for when I started as a professional painter.  It really surprised me not only the number of orders that I got for FPW but the size of the orders. 

But all of them were in 15mm.  I'm wondering if I'll see any in 28mm with this range.  It would be lovely, I have all the resources to paint them. 

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2020, 02:52:05 PM »
John,
Do you have any photos of your 28mm units based as you suggest ?
JM

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2021, 04:37:35 PM »
update today on Fb :

1860 helmet had been aded, so we could use the box for danes 1864 war and austro prussian 1866 war .

French metal figures will appear at the same time than prussian plastics, and french plastic infantry later.

best regards
paco
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 04:39:42 PM by pacofeanor »

Offline Totleben

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
  • Mad wallah, resident sebastokrator
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2021, 04:54:09 PM »
Very glad that this comes to my notice only now  :o :-* o_o

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2021, 05:07:44 PM »
Zoiks!!!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2021, 05:22:38 PM »
Blinking marvellous, although the cast-on blanket rolls will rather put paid to my long cherished Prisoner of Zenda project  :'(

Offline brasidas19004

• Student
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2021, 02:25:57 AM »
I've often wondered why this conflict didn't get more love from war gamers; looks like that is about to change. :)

because it is harder to balance [but not that hard] and Infantry truly dominate, with guns second and cavalry a distant third.  Why paint up a Napoleonic period with lousy cavalry???  Also, it's just one campaign they will say.  forgetting that most of the weapons and uniforms were simliar thru the period.

Personally, I find it a great period, and wrote a set of rules for it based off of Neil Thomas' "Wargaming 19th C. Europe" which are a great place to start.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2021, 11:38:35 AM »
Blinking marvellous, although the cast-on blanket rolls will rather put paid to my long cherished Prisoner of Zenda project  :'(

Agreed! Now scraping them off and making new buttons from lead foil ensues. And some Winter conversions such as in the Liliane and Fred Funcken uniform books is even harder to do now.  :?

But not impossible!  o_o
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2021, 09:52:01 AM »
The Perry brothers seem to have the rights for the rule "They died for glory". I hope they will published it  !!!

is it a good rule ?

regards
paco

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
  • would like to paint more
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2021, 02:33:48 PM »
I am very much looking forward to the minis. I only have one objection with the plastic Minis ..... the collar.
It is always very small and too low. I suspect this is due to the design and the implementation of the separate heads.
You can see very clearly from the 3 Ups that the collar is very small, which was not the case in this era.
I also noticed this in the British infantry for the Zulu War.

Offline brasidas19004

• Student
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2021, 04:15:09 AM »
The Perry brothers seem to have the rights for the rule "They died for glory". I hope they will published it  !!!

is it a good rule ?

regards
paco

I don't know about that, but they are a spin off of "Brother Against Brother" I believe. BAB is a simple set of brigade rules that was pretty popular. I was recently re-done but had a lot of editing problems - uncertain if those were resolved.  A similar set of them was in Peter Dennis' paper soldier's ACW book.

So are they good - maybe, but probably depends on what you define as "good"!

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2021, 01:46:26 PM »
If you are looking for photographs of La Hitte pieces, you could try contacting the curators at the Museu Militar Conde de Linhares in Rio de Janeiro. It’s an excellent museum and has examples of many of the arms used in the Paraguayan War. I’m sure they would be happy to oblige.

rp.mmcl@mhexfc.eb.mil.br

The Museo de Armas de la Nacion in Buenos Aires has a superb collection of armaments from colonial times to the Falklands as well as uniform items so Alan might want to contact them.

i'm certainly not an expert on artillery..better the opposite...but , years ago, somebody mentioned that the plastic ACW  artillery/caissons set produced by Perrys was perfectly suitable for depicting also French standard field piece for 1870 ...by choosing the appropriate barrel (sorry do'nt remenber which one?) ...in that case , in my opinion, even the crews in képis could  represent, with minor conversions, French gunners in campaign/more relaxed dress....what do the experts think about that idea?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 01:48:16 PM by italwars »

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2021, 03:04:00 PM »
i'm certainly not an expert on artillery..better the opposite...but , years ago, somebody mentioned that the plastic ACW  artillery/caissons set produced by Perrys was perfectly suitable for depicting also French standard field piece for 1870 ...by choosing the appropriate barrel (sorry do'nt remenber which one?) ...in that case , in my opinion, even the crews in képis could  represent, with minor conversions, French gunners in campaign/more relaxed dress....what do the experts think about that idea

I'm not an expert in artillery too , but i think you speak about the barrel of the ACW 12Lb "napoleon" (first one on photo) wich is a copy of the french "canon obusier de 12".

But concerning gunners, they are always in shell jacket in campaign dress, horse or foot artillery! It is just missing the belt for cartridge box...

I don't know about that, but they are a spin off of "Brother Against Brother" I believe. BAB is a simple set of brigade rules that was pretty popular. I was recently re-done but had a lot of editing problems - uncertain if those were resolved.  A similar set of them was in Peter Dennis' paper soldier's ACW book.

So are they good - maybe, but probably depends on what you define as "good"!

It had been told on FaceBook, last week by one of the previous owner that Perry brother bought the rights for They Died For Glory....

IMO, a good rule is fastplay, fun, with historical mood !  ;) (not as easy to realise than for me to write... lol)

regards
paco
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:05:38 PM by pacofeanor »