Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:04:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Daeothar does Star Wars - More Stormtroopers  (Read 14692 times)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Daeothar does Star Wars - More Stormtroopers
« on: July 20, 2020, 08:23:13 PM »
Since my desert themed table is finally nearing completion (it just requires finishing off the sides of the modules), I got motivated to start on some themed terrain for it right away, during drying times (I've been applying quit a few alternating layers of glue, sand-mix and varnish-mix, which require loads of time inbetween them).

And what better theme to get started, after all these years of hoarding stuff than Yes; Star Wars!

The first thing I got my teeth into was a Star Wars Legion terrain/objectives set by FFG. It is comprised of 4 Moisture Vaporators, 3 Control Panels and a bunch of crates (the vaporators were the items I started out with). I also had some barricades from the Legion boxed set, so I took them along for the ride as well.

The construction was very straightforward and easy. virtually no cleanup required, and the fit was perfect (obviously the slightly vinyl feeling barricades required none); the vaporators received washers for bases instead of the provided Legion bases though. Better stability, and I'm not using the Legion bases on any of my units to begin with (I use WotC minis for SW).

Paintjobs were fast and dirty (quite literally so; Tatooine style delapidation is mandatory of course): a white primer coat, followed by a coat of white paint. Then a wash with watered down Army Painter Strong Tone, some accents in colour, chipped paint with a dark olive brown with some silver edging and finally sandy and sooty weathering powders before a coat of matt varnish.

The barricades had the area of the orange stripes neatly taped off, after which I stippled the orange on, but to my dismay, the orange still ran. So I had to do some clean-up, but most I was able to hide between damage and grime, as well as some replaced, grey panels:

That was that, but now I wanted a building as well. I have several bunkers in my current terrain stock, but I felt the new table warranted something more suitable.

So I unearthed the Proxxon Foamcutter I had bought on the cheap last year (or was it two years ago ::) ). At any rate; I had not used it before, but I did have the advantage of having the experience of a terrain building workshop by no other than Gerard Boom (even longer ago), so I was confident I would be able to get at least a decent result out of it.

I also had some small blocks of left over foam form said workshop, and that was enough to get me started. After this experience though, I will now have to dish out for a good sized stash of the stuff, as I expect more projects to pop up in the near future... ;)

It took me just a couple of hours, including figuring out, testing and tinkering with the cutter, to get me a pretty good result. I had to resort to using a plastic dome, from some sort of packaging, out of my 'junk-box', since I had been unable to source any styrofoam spheres in any of the nearby shops. I will venture deeper into town soon to get me an assortment of them. They will come in handy for this project I reckon...

The foam was glued with fast drying PVA and pinned, the dome was glued down with hot glue. I then also created an inner frame to support the dome, since the foam piece I used for the roof was rather thin (a left-over from that workshop), and I feared it might otherwise suffer catastrophic failure somewhere along the line.

The door was made from polystyrene sheets (2 thicknesses), and the ribbed texture in the door portal is a zip-tie. The tech panel next to the door is made from a cut down Antenociti control panel with some added plastic greebles. The pipe on the side is from the Chemical Plant box by Tehnolog, the vent in the back is the eye from the same zip-tie I used on the door, and the crate on the right side of the building is from the aforementioned Legion terrain set.

The stage I regrettably did not photograph, is the covering of the entire building with an instant wall filler. I used many pots of this stuff on the table, and I find a great material to work with. It's fast drying, easily sandable, light and also pretty cheap. In this case, I coated the entire building with it, and smoothed the layer out with water. I only used tools in some hard to get to nooks and crannies, the rest is all just (gloved) fingers.

Oh; and I taped off all the mentioned parts of the building that I didn't want covered in plaster ;)

I then lightly sanded the coarsest parts down, and I find that this is the area I still have the most to learn (including the application of the filler), as there are some areas that are not as smooth as I would have wanted them to, although there are some parts I'm pretty satisfied with.

After this followed a brush on coat of the Graveyard Earth matched wall emulsion paint I use for all my basing and also the table (the pot I had mixed up in 2011 is finally showing a dent in its contents! lol ), and a zenithal spray coat of Army Painter Bone.

I then mixed a wash of brown and black from tubes of cheap acrylic paints, and coated the entire building. Then followed a drybrush of Bone mixed with white. I then built up some washes at the bottom of the building, using Armypainter Strong Tone and Sepia.

Then it was on to painting the details, and after a spray coat of Armypainter Matt Varnish, I declared this project done!

I had also cut out and beveled an MDF base for the building, but after testing it on the table, which is (intentionally) uneven, I decided that using it as-is, is probably the lesser of the two evils, and I think the inevitable gap at the bottom between building and ground is less conspicuous than the same gap between a base and the table... ::)

The entire building, sans drying time, probably took me about 5 to 6 hours. But I'm sure this can go faster once I get more practice in, although by that time, I'll probably be wanting to do larger, more complex buildings...

But enough waffle; here it is, in all its glory:

And one more gratuititous shot of the building in its natural habitat: welcome to Tushi Station... :D

On my workbench already, and bound to be finished next, are a converted speeder and (the more observant amongst you may already have spotted it in the pictures) a Table Top Combat MDF (energy?) turbine kit, which I already greebled up and primed white. And the control panels and crates from the Legion kit are queued up as well.

At this rate, I might actually finish up my first themed terrain set soon...  8)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:03:37 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Daeothar does Star Wars - Tushi Station
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 08:43:31 PM »
Top banana.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 08:48:57 PM »
Great stuff  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 01:55:53 AM »
Looking good!

Thanks for sharing your techniques and pics.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 02:09:39 AM »
Good stuff mate :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 07:16:03 AM »
Many thanks guys! :)

I had forgotten just how fun it is to build terrain, but it looks like I've found the right flow now. Also, I always was an (almost) exclusive polystyrene kind of builder, but now I find experimenting with all kinds of different materials rather cathartic, to be honest... :)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 08:14:02 AM »
The barricades got me thinking. I always imagined them to be grey, but yours look so much better! I think, I have to copy that, if you allow...  ;)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 08:23:36 AM »
Lovely detail on that building and some ideas to steal, I Like the cable tie idea :-* :-* :-*
The building looks very strong

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 09:13:09 AM »
The barricades got me thinking. I always imagined them to be grey, but yours look so much better! I think, I have to copy that, if you allow...  ;)

Be my guest! :D

I have seen them mostly in either grey or white too, but I found one with some blue Aurebesh text stencils on. My rationale was that I could also use them in near-future gaming, and white with orange is basically a staple in that setting...

Lovely detail on that building and some ideas to steal, I Like the cable tie idea :-* :-* :-*
The building looks very strong

Thanks! :) 

I've found cable ties to be quite a versatile material when building, and all parts of them can be used in some way. The ribbed areas are great for use as vents or edging such as on this building (I previously also used one on a Star Trek shuttle build in basically the same way).

On the power turbine I've teased, I have used all parts of a whole bunch of them; the eyes as vents on the sides, the tapered tips as extra details on the vanes(?) that form the edge of the turbine and some larger ones added their ribbed portion to the spine of the turbine. They really helped in adding some visual interest to an otherwise rather bland and flat MDF build.

The only down side is that zip-ties are made from nylon, so the only way to securely attach them is with loads of superglue, but really; that's just a very minor quibble...

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 09:27:21 AM »
Great work on that building, hope you don’t mind me pinching that cable tie idea for when I eventually get on with my Megacity

:)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 10:00:04 AM »

And hey; I don't own the idea anymore than that Thomas & Betts own the actual patent to the Ty-Rap... :D

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 10:34:25 AM »
Everything here looks excellent! My mate is contemplating buying a SW Legions starter set. Your work is tempting me to join him...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 11:16:28 AM »
Top notch work mate! I love the distressing and the white/orange color choice.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 08:33:48 AM »
Looking very nice so far - the weathering really evokes the Star Wars universe. Very much looking forward to seeing what else you have planned.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 01:30:17 AM »
 Could have sworn it was Tosche Station...but yours must be where the space pirates hide their booty.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."