Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:03:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Daeothar does Star Wars - More Stormtroopers  (Read 14702 times)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Daeothar does Star Wars - Tushi Station
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 06:41:22 AM »
No, no; you've got the whole thing backwards! Tushi station is where the kids hang out, drinking Mountain Dewback and gossip about their online teachers.

Toschi Station on the other hand, is where Owen met Beru, and he doesn't want Luke to go anywhere near it. You never know what he might pick up there...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 07:39:12 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2020, 06:43:52 AM »
 lol

Robot Chicken should definitely be treated as canon  ;)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2020, 07:38:36 AM »
Hear that, Disney??  :D

Last night I managed to finish the power generator I had prepped earlier.

It's one of a pair, but I haven't built the other one yet. I figured I'd just need the one for now.

Built right out of the packaging, it was rather bland, so I decided to use some card and chipboard to break up the flat surfaces. That was not enough though, so I also used some coffee stirrers on the 'vanes'(?) of the turbine. Still not enough, so I added the tips of a bunch of really small cable ties on top of the stirrers, and a larger cable tie to the chipboard ridge on top of the turbine.

Then I added some Antenociti control panels to the sides; one with a few screens and another one with a large lever (á la Deathstar shield generator; it's even on the nominal rear side ;) ), plus the eyes of the same small cable ties I used on the vanes on the sides. there were some small shapes laser-cut into those positions, often painted as lights, but I covered those first with some card squares, and finally added the eyes; as vents I suppose.

All of this neatly broke up the flat surfaces, and after a couple of coats of primer and paint, it was ready for the real work.

It was a simple job; basically the same method I used on the moisture vaporators and barricades. Except that the chipping of the edges took forever! ::)

Finally some detailed attention to the control panels (specifically the screens), and it was done.

I only now realize I totally forgot the last step of adding weathering powders, but as it still needs a coat of varnish, I'll do that before I spray it. This will add some more colour modulation, which should be a good thing.

Next on the bench is a converted WotC landspeeder; it began life in the service of the Naboo Royal Guard, with two crewmen, a gun on the rear spoiler and two large, blocky engine pods. I took out the crewmen, built the seats back up with some plasticard, cut off the repeater blaster (this is now a civilian vehicle), and replaced the peg and base with something a bit less obvious (Renedra 40mm plastic base with a groove cut out for the metal rod I used to hold the speeder up, which I then covered with a circle of 0.5mm thick plasticard).

The engine pods were too large in my opinion, so I took them off, and replaced them with two 1/72 guided bombs with the fronts and rears cut off and nozzles from the bitsbox added to the rear.

Only when I had attached them, did I realize that they now look exactly like a couple of wall plugs. Had I seen that earlier, I might have saved myself some work, but hey... lol

Right now, the windscreen is missing, but that's for painting purposes only; it'll be replaced once that's in the bag.

And then there's the first squad of Stormtroopers, with an officer and droid in support. I'll undercoat them white, and will work from there.

The pilot figure btw is the only character of our (concluded for now) SW RPG campaign I had not come around to painting, so she'll finally be finished too. You've seen two characters of our group so far; the Saurin was my character, Gilaan Fal'kas, and the human (ex-imp) scoundrel was the nominal leader of the pack.

The pilot was the only real conversion required for the characters bar a single headswap, but it was an extensive one; there are parts of 4 miniatures in there; the legs of a WotC Swoop Ganger, the body and head of a hasslefree not-Starbuck, the pistol of an actual WotC TIE-pilot and the helmet of a stormtrooper, converted into a pilot-helmet. The conversion also required sculpting the left arm and the coveralls tied around the waist and the building of the control box on the chest from plasticard and white metal tubing.

I'm pleased with the conversion, but now that the campaign is over, I will paint her up the way I want to (there were specifications of elaborate tribal tattoos, patterned flight suit, long, flowing and braided hair, etc). So expect the final result to be a bit less gaudy... ;)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 07:50:31 PM by Daeothar »

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: Daeothar does Star Wars - Unlimited Power!
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2020, 09:14:41 AM »
Great work so far keep it going
Love the details you are putting in  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2020, 09:50:01 AM »
That’s much better with the additional details on. Love the weathering  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2020, 11:11:21 AM »
Great work and project! :-*

I really didn’t like that shield generator model before, npbut you’ve changed my mind! With your add-ons and paint job, that’s really scrubbed up nice! 8)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2020, 11:25:25 AM »
Wow! You never cease to inspire mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2020, 12:06:17 PM »
Cool work on the generator. Hadn't seen that one yet.
Also nice touch having some of the brickwork show on the building.

Truelly a lovely table. I'm looking forward on many an epic battle.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 09:18:13 PM »
Thanks guys! As always;much appreciated 8)

Well, my vacation time is finally here, but (as expected; it's the same every year), instead of drastically increasing my hobby time, it actually almost eliminated it, since vacation time is family time. And we've been having a great stretch so far, with sun, beach and quality time, but I still managed to sneak some me-time in there ;)

I finished the first of two speeders I had on my desk; this is a dainty sports model, still looking relatively pristine (considering the circumstances on Tatooine of course...):

And here it is, next to its original shape and form. It's looking much more original trilogy now, I reckon 8)

The second speeder is more of a cargo skiff really. It started life as a die-cast First Order Speeder, and even though it's still die-cast, it's now (on it's way to becoming) a really beat up cargo hauler. Probably plying its trade in and around the space port, lugging crates and other items between local businesses and landed ships.

It's had an engine replacement recently, and it could do with a fresh coat of paint (the cash logo on the blue band has become barely visible), but it's still functional, and that's what counts.

I removed a second seat next to the driver, including its roll bar, and also the repeater blaster on a mount in the prow. Both areas were simply covered over with a piece of plasticard.

The paintjob so far covers a white primer, a warm grey basecoat, the blocking in of panels, adding of the blue stripes and Aurebesh cash sign and a first wash on the floor.

Next will be several washes, highlights and, eventually, a lot of chipping.

And finally, there is also some small progress on the first squad of Stormtroopers. After their coat of white primer, I inspected them for remaining mould lines. I did find a couple, and I cleaned those up and retouched the white primer.

Then I gave them all two layers of Vallejo Model Wash Blue Grey. Next step will be blocking the panels with VGC Wolf Grey...

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Daeothar does Star Wars - A tale of two Speeders
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2020, 10:36:30 PM »
 :o
It's all a pretty impressive work :-* :-*

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2020, 03:41:37 AM »
Daeothar, what scale is this? 28mm? Those the WotC Stormtroopers?
Same as speeders?

Grimm

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 05:45:36 AM »
Cheers Suber  :)

Grimnar; this is a nominally 28/30mm project. The minis are all WotC bendy ones (for now), the terrain is from a range of different sources, including Legion.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2020, 06:57:57 AM »
Brill  :)

Offline fluffy05

• Scientist
    • One Painters Crusade
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2020, 08:43:43 AM »
Love the additions to the MDF generator.  It actually makes the MDF terrain look fantastic after painting (your brushwork also fantastic!)
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2020, 09:14:28 AM »
Oh my not sure how I missed this till now!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)