Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:01:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690592
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Up the Nile: Mounted Infantry, Second El Teb Added- Page 3- 29/04/2021  (Read 5706 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
By the way, just need to add that I absolutely love these ones, too. Outstanding work there, even more so considering they have been speed-painted. I have a box of these somewhere I've been saving for a rainy day. I'm sorely tempted to break it open having seen this example of how good they can look.

I might try to see if I can wrangle some other early Ansar types out of that box. I have some Copplestone Shilluk itching to fight somebody, and they did fall out with the Ansar quite early on (at I time, I think when the Mahdists were still not using firearms yet (need to check that, though). Might make a fun skirmish project.

Haven't seen the Castaway Arts ones in real life, so I'm not much use there. Sorry.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
By the way, just need to add that I absolutely love these ones, too. Outstanding work there, even more so considering they have been speed-painted. I have a box of these somewhere I've been saving for a rainy day. I'm sorely tempted to break it open having seen this example of how good they can look.

Thanks- appreciated. It take me about one five or six hour sitting to do 12 so not bad going- but, that does not include glossing and then matting down- and basing of course.

I might try to see if I can wrangle some other early Ansar types out of that box. I have some Copplestone Shilluk itching to fight somebody, and they did fall out with the Ansar quite early on (at I time, I think when the Mahdists were still not using firearms yet (need to check that, though). Might make a fun skirmish project.

That is at once an "ah, very interesting" and an "Oh no!" moment  lol What have you done?!? ;) :)

Haven't seen the Castaway Arts ones in real life, so I'm not much use there. Sorry.
[/quote]

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
I think your speed painted Beja look top notch

8)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
I think your speed painted Beja look top notch

8)

Thanks matey :)

More to come, probably not tomorrow though..... but maybe :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Partial Vallejo Game Colour Washes Review- For Beja Tobes

There's a small review of the at least to me, newly discovered Vallejo Game Colour Washes and their application in painting the next batch of 12 Beja on my Blog here:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2020/07/vallejo-game-colour-washes-review.html

I added the highlights last evening- these examples are just the base colour and the wash:

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Up the Nile- Beja- Vallajo Game Colour Washes Review Page 2- 23/07/20
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2020, 02:39:18 PM »
Wow. That’s VERY effective.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Up the Nile- Beja- Vallajo Game Colour Washes Review Page 2- 23/07/20
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2020, 03:58:27 PM »
Wow. That’s VERY effective.

Cheers Richard. I'll pop up the pics of the end result after a highlight or two.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Up the Nile! Beja, Fifth Lot!
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2020, 04:41:49 PM »
Some of the miniatures on the bases are some of my first kit bashed/converted Beja. I'm really happy with the way they have come out.

Speed painted again.

If you have a mind to you can see more on my blog here:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2020/08/up-nile-beja-lot-five.html

Cheers :)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Up the Nile! Beja, Fifth Lot!
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2020, 07:08:49 PM »
These are lovely looking, very natural

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2020, 08:57:03 AM »
These are lovely looking, very natural

Thanks Fred. I'll hopefully have time to a to get in a shot or two of the whole unit of 36 today.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2020, 09:15:31 AM »
Lovely work.

Sorry if it’s a daft question, that you’ve answered elsewhere, but as you mentioned they are speed painted, how long would it say it takes you to paint a figure on average using this method, as opposed to your traditional method?

I appreciate you don’t paint a single figure at a time, but presumably have a rough idea how long it takes for X number of figures?

:)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2020, 02:02:48 PM »
Lovely work.

Sorry if it’s a daft question, that you’ve answered elsewhere, but as you mentioned they are speed painted, how long would it say it takes you to paint a figure on average using this method, as opposed to your traditional method?

I appreciate you don’t paint a single figure at a time, but presumably have a rough idea how long it takes for X number of figures?

:)

Not at all. In truth it depends. Sometimes I can get 12 (the number of mini's in each batch)  in one sitting of say six to eight hours. So in that respect they're not belted out as such. Sometimes double that time. Why? I wish I knew  lol

You have to bear in mind that the Beja from the Perry Sudan range are pretty basic when it comes to garb and weaponry so they are easy to paint at a rate of knots. I'm working on three projects at one time; two are being 'speed painted' (I guess that means something different to each individual painter) and one I'm really taking my time with.

I've got to a stage where I just want to get the mini's on the table and the dice rolling with most of my projects. With that caveat that "where I just want to get the mini's on the table and the dice rolling" is directly proportional to me being able to actually mix with others again!  lol

Hope that helps? Or indeed makes sense? :)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2020, 11:13:02 AM »
Hope that helps? Or indeed makes sense? :)

It does...and your speed painting is certainly quicker than my reply to your answer  lol

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2020, 11:27:32 AM »
It does...and your speed painting is certainly quicker than my reply to your answer  lol

lol

I tried the same method on some 15's over the weekend- not a great result!  :'(

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Up the Nile! Beja Sixth Lot!
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2020, 03:36:11 PM »
Yet more Beja for my Sudan project.

Sorry about the quality of the pictures. They were taken very early this morning. Too early in fact.

I'm not sure I quite had my wits about me as I forgot to set up the lighting and a couple are out of focus. I will do better next time!

As usual you can see more group shots plus single base shots from different angles on my blog here:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2020/09/up-nile-beja-lot-6.html

Cheers