Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:44:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First Schleswig-Holstein War, 1848 28mm?  (Read 48949 times)

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: First Schleswig-Holstein War, 1848 28mm?
« Reply #255 on: December 06, 2023, 04:07:48 PM »
Amazing collection

Offline thestoats

• Assistant
« Reply #256 on: December 12, 2023, 02:26:34 AM »
Hey Dave,
Loving everything you make for this entire range. Although I don't mean to prod you, I'm curious how are those Hanoverian King's Hussars coming along ;)
I'm sure my forces will be anticipating when this illustrious unit can refight Oversø and finally bring a charge home against the Danish 2nd Jægerskorps! Seriously though, I can't thank you enough for getting me into this conflict and spurring me on to find some really great scenarios to wargame!

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
« Reply #257 on: December 12, 2023, 01:29:20 PM »
This project has everything - a lesser-known conflict;
some wonderful and unusual uniforms; ; fantastic research; and just a touch of technological whimsy ! Might you draft us just a paragraph on who exactly is fighting who and how the different castings line up on the opposing sides. The Danes and the Prussians I understand but am lost with Baden civilian volunteers, Hanoverians and so on. JM

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #258 on: December 12, 2023, 01:56:34 PM »
It is a very complicated conflict with roots all the way back to medieval times. But basically it is a Danish civil war. Over whether the duchy's Schleswig and Holstein should remain a part of Denmark og join the German confederation. You can read a bit more about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Schleswig_War

Offline thestoats

• Assistant
« Reply #259 on: December 12, 2023, 07:58:31 PM »
@Cuirassier,
As Dr. Zombie has been so kind as to point out, the First Schleswig War was fought over the question of who should rule the duchies of Schleswig and Holstein (which were legally inseparable due to medieval legislature). The conflict began in 1848 when the two Duchies declared their severance from Denmark and created a revolutionary government in its place. While the Duchies suffered several early defeats, Holstein, which was actually already a nominal member of the German Confederation, was able to secure Confederal military aid. This is where the German troops from Prussia, Hanover, Saxony, and elsewhere come into play. They would continue to fight the Danes alongside the forces of Schleswig and Holstein until a peace deal in 1849 allowed them to return home. 1850 saw the eventual defeat of the now-isolated revolutionary forces of Schleswig and Holstein.

However, the revolution of 1848 was not unique to Schleswig and Holstein. The largest and most famous is of course the Hungarian revolution in the Habsburg lands, but the revolutionary fervor had in fact swept all throughout Europe, seen as far West as Spain and as far East as Poland. The reason Germany was so open to sending troops to fight Denmark was actually to unite the Confederation against an external "threat" in the face of liberal revolution across the German speaking states. The largest, longest, and bloodiest of these Confederal Revolutions was that of Baden, spanning from the spring of 1848 to the summer of 1849.

Hope this helps, and I love talking about this period so if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Edit: to clarify the Baden Revolution saw the Badenese revolutionaries (the Baden volunteers Dave has made) fighting against a campaign by the local Badenese government forces as well as Confederal troops from Hesse and elsewhere.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 08:01:12 PM by thestoats »

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
« Reply #260 on: December 15, 2023, 06:35:08 PM »
Most helpful and interesting gentlemen.

Offline Swampking

• Student
« Reply #261 on: December 15, 2023, 11:03:40 PM »
Awesome work!

Be careful when you get to Saxons. If you're relying on Weaver's book, that has been superceded by Jan Schulermann's research that indicated that the Saxons of 1849 looked like 1850's Austrians.

Since my project is in 15mm, I'm using OG15s FPW Austrians in kittle to depict the Saxons.

Offline Dave pen

• Librarian
« Reply #262 on: January 13, 2024, 09:25:40 PM »
I need to buy about 50 of those Prussian heads. Your project is amazing. Really good stuff going on.
Could sort it out for you

Dave

Offline Dave pen

• Librarian
« Reply #263 on: January 13, 2024, 09:26:44 PM »
Hey Dave,
Loving everything you make for this entire range. Although I don't mean to prod you, I'm curious how are those Hanoverian King's Hussars coming along ;)
I'm sure my forces will be anticipating when this illustrious unit can refight Oversø and finally bring a charge home against the Danish 2nd Jægerskorps! Seriously though, I can't thank you enough for getting me into this conflict and spurring me on to find some really great scenarios to wargame!
In the pipeline for March/April for the masters

Offline Dave pen

• Librarian
« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2024, 09:31:32 PM »
This project has everything - a lesser-known conflict;
some wonderful and unusual uniforms; ; fantastic research; and just a touch of technological whimsy ! Might you draft us just a paragraph on who exactly is fighting who and how the different castings line up on the opposing sides. The Danes and the Prussians I understand but am lost with Baden civilian volunteers, Hanoverians and so on. JM

The Baden volunteers are part of the Baden revolt, these have been done as a side to the SH revolt for a display game at Salute this year.
Currently back working on the SH range with 2 mounted Danish generals and Hess Cassel troops, for the Danes mounted limber horse riders so I can finally bring out the Danish limber teams.
The Hanoverians were part of the forces of the German confederation along with Mecklenburg, Oldenburg etc, I've started the states that entered the war in 1849.

Dave

Offline Dave pen

• Librarian
« Reply #265 on: January 13, 2024, 09:40:59 PM »
Awesome work!

Be careful when you get to Saxons. If you're relying on Weaver's book, that has been superceded by Jan Schulermann's research that indicated that the Saxons of 1849 looked like 1850's Austrians.

Since my project is in 15mm, I'm using OG15s FPW Austrians in kittle to depict the Saxons.
I have Schulermann's research and there's a debate going on (my end) as to which is correct as line drawings from witnesses of the Saxon troops in action in SH show them in the tailed coatee and shako, the older style uniform.  Jan gives the date of introduction, new equipment tended to be issued when the old equipment wore out - Hence the Prussians in the new virchow webbing alongside troops in the older cross belts( Napoleonic research suggests that leather belts were expected to last 14 years before replacement), same with the artillery limbers napoleonic style limbers mixed with the new 1842 limbers.  You also have to remember most of these states were poor and relied on taxing the population.

Dave

Offline Dave pen

• Librarian
« Reply #266 on: January 13, 2024, 09:52:55 PM »
Apologies for the delay in answering the questions been very busy at work and having to deal with a dog having a cruciate ligament operation and stopping him from behaving like a dog, a cocker spaniel very difficult!!!!!

Back with the masters and concentrating on the SH range(s) with Danish Generals in kepi - great coat and tunic.
The last figures for the Danish limbers, teams are the limber horse riders 1 x 1842 uniform and 1 x 1848 uniform, the limber I've converted for 2 horses in tandem or single horses in line (towing the espignols).

Hess Cassel line infantry 3 x foot, drummer and standard bearer, forgot to send officer in next batch with extra Bavarian foot for the Jagers (same unifrom different colour facings) and artillery crew, sent scale plans of Bavarian artillery to artillery designer along with the Danish 3pdr, limber etc

Soon as I get the masters I'll post pictures.

Offline Swampking

• Student
« Reply #267 on: January 16, 2024, 06:10:22 PM »
Hey Dave,

Yep! You're correct in that most armies used equipment and uniforms until they wore out and it's true that taxes on the populace supported the army. My only point was that Schulermann's research appeared to be comprehensive. It's a shame that the Yahoo groups S-H War group got nuked (along with the rest of the Yahoo groups). There was a quite heated debate on there about the Saxons and Schulermann was quite convincing.

However, I guess when it comes right down to it - who knows? The attached picture (contemporary picture of the Saxon attack at Dybbol).  In 15mm, it was just easier to go with the Austrians in kittel.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Offline Dave pen

• Librarian
« Reply #268 on: January 16, 2024, 10:08:31 PM »
Hey Dave,

Yep! You're correct in that most armies used equipment and uniforms until they wore out and it's true that taxes on the populace supported the army. My only point was that Schulermann's research appeared to be comprehensive. It's a shame that the Yahoo groups S-H War group got nuked (along with the rest of the Yahoo groups). There was a quite heated debate on there about the Saxons and Schulermann was quite convincing.

However, I guess when it comes right down to it - who knows? The attached picture (contemporary picture of the Saxon attack at Dybbol).  In 15mm, it was just easier to go with the Austrians in kittel.

Hi
The picture you've attached isn't contemporary the artist painted it in 1909, I've attached 3 line drawings and sketch of saxon troops in 1849, these are just an example.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Offline Swampking

• Student
« Reply #269 on: January 17, 2024, 08:27:29 PM »
Well - looks like I was wrong!  :o

So, anyone got any ideas on tail-coated, small shako Saxons in 15mm?  :D