Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:46:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690830
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Russian Uniforms in Chechnya  (Read 3356 times)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
Russian Uniforms in Chechnya
« on: July 23, 2020, 04:55:24 PM »
Can someone explain the different uniforms I see in all the Chechen war photos?

Who wears the foggy blue camouflage?  And the yellow-green jackets with brown and green thin camo slashes?

I am trying to start my Red Star (Empress) Chechen War minis and I am totally confused trying to figure out which units wore what uniforms.

Offline madman

• Scientist
Re: Russian Uniforms in Chechnya
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 05:52:27 PM »
I have an interest in that theatre as well and painted up a pack of GHQ soviets up with what I thought were suitable multi-cam I saw somewhere on line. Once done I looked again so I could determine what unit(s) would use that scheme only to not be able to find it again.

Seems like as many different uniforms on the Soviet, oops Russian, side as squads! Then every Chechen is an individual.

As an aside my guys are based in a grey khaki with grass green, medium dark brown and black small "spots" on the uniforms. Anyone out there want to guess/elaborate on which units used that camo? I know it was a period (late '90s to '2010s) uniform scheme and it had a name but damned if I can find it again.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 06:24:30 PM by ErikB »

Offline redrevuk

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 07:41:57 PM »
You could try here: https://www.camopedia.org/index.php?title=Russia
It's a very comprehensive resource that differentiates between regular army and other arms (e.g.: MVD or FSB), and also includes commercial patterns which have been adopted by some special forces units.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 08:02:57 PM »
That's a fantastic site, thanks for posting it!

Which blue-wearing groups would be present in Chechnya?

MDV troops? 

Are they like Gendarmes?

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 08:37:39 PM »
I think the Multicam is pretty new, after the Chechen wars.

I am pretty sure the one I modeled was period. Russia/CCCP had multi coloured camouflage of one sort or another since around the time of the breakup, not counting items like the Soviet Afghan War period "sunspot" camo.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 10:28:53 PM »
The MVD are the sucessor to the NKVD. Serving as a sort of cross between the police and national guard. With its own special forces too. Nowadays its been split up however (not something which has universally been done by other Post-Soviet states). This military / police crossover role may explain their potential presence in war zones - especially those which fall within Russian territory, which would constitute police actions. ...It just happens that these police have autocannons.

The MVD used standard Russian military patterns and their own ones. I'd associate blue camouflage more often with them - in part possibly due to them serving in a police role, or urban environments. This is purely from observation however, and may not be accurate. As does it seem that special forces don't follow this stucture in every instance (along with commercial patterns, and copies of foreign styles being worn on occasion throughout the Russian military).

Camopedia's a good source. I'd use that and reference it against period pictures to get an idea of what the common patterns would be. It aught to tell you which styles were worn by multiple organisations if you're looking for a generic force. If you're intending a put together some regular units - rather than special forces - you'd see the same sort of equipment being used by these organisations, along with more specific bits of gear (i.e. helmet styles).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:33:22 PM by Wyrmalla »

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 04:00:12 AM »
Here is a short review article in Russian about the uniforms of the Russian army in Chechnya.
In short, the army basically had either khaki uniforms or "Flora" camouflage.
Police units (OMON, special forces of the Ministry of Internal Affairs), as well as units of the FSB - camouflage uniforms such as "Orekh" (Nut) and "Kamysh" (reed). "Nut" and "Reed" had two main versions - urban and forest (blue and green).

http://siberia-miniatures.ru/forum/showthread.php?tid=435&fid=14&block=0

Foreign versions of uniforms were widely used, as well as commercial samples (hunting, etc.) from those who could purchase equipment at their own expense (mainly officers, employees of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, special forces). The trophy uniform of the Chechen army was also used.

Army of the Republic of Ichkeria (Chechen Republic):

http://siberia-miniatures.ru/forum/showthread.php?fid=14&tid=47
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 04:04:36 AM by cuprum »

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 07:04:29 AM »
My test figured, block coated and freshly washed, hence the gloss.

They look horrible at this stage but I wanted to ask y'all if the camouflage was working or not.  Still have 12 more to paint so I want to see if these guys are going in the right direction.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 07:26:01 AM »
A good start.

Getting the "scale" of camouflage right is very difficult.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 05:32:07 PM »
Washes dried, added a little highlighting, starting to come along.  I regret I didn't do eyes.

In person, the faces have more contrast and the brown on the pants shows up more.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 05:46:09 PM by ErikB »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 07:38:01 PM »
They look great, the OMON were used in Chechnya, a sort of national guard within the police

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 07:53:57 PM »
Thanks, folks.

The rest of the squad mostly wear some kind of hooded anorak or smock.  I hope the blue and yellow-green camouflages are appropriate for that.

I mostly see big, warm, fluffy jackets with these two patterns.

Somehow, I really like painting Russian/Soviet minis and models.  They have an aesthetic that is very appealing.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 01:12:03 AM »
This is an army pea jacket, the usual winter clothing of a Russian serviceman at that time. The hood can be stowed away in a special pocket on the back.
https://baraholka.com.ru/bulls/kamuflyazh-zimnij-bushlat-v-moskve-2029380.htm

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 01:19:05 AM »
They look great, the OMON were used in Chechnya, a sort of national guard within the police

RIOT-police squad