Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:00:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Franco-Prussian War in 10mm (Pendraken)  (Read 18831 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Franco-Prussian War in 10mm (Pendraken)
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2020, 04:56:41 PM »
So I have to report that I haven't made any real progress in the last couple weeks.

It has been a really bad year for me (beginning with my mother's death, followed by two weeks in the hospital with double pneumonia). A couple weeks ago my wife was involved in a very weird car accident. The car received a lot of damage and she was pretty bruised up but is mending well. The other day my dog yelped on our walk and refused to come out from under the bed. We took him to the vet and he gave the pooch a shot and said he was in a lot of muscular pain in the leg, but should recover nicely. And overreaching all of this, I have been involved with correspondence with the insurance company of my mother's car (which I thought had been sold for $100 but it appears was not executed) which was involved in an accident and the driver ran away. Unfortunately, I am also at the same time preparing to fire a worker for stealing and that will probably go to court.

:?

I can't seem to relax and paint. What a shitty year this has been for me, though, of course, I realize that lots of other folks have far worse to contend with, and I am, in the main, blessed.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2020, 06:49:44 PM »
That is a lot to contend with, without mentioning Covid.

Don’t force it, I found a couple of years ago when I was going through a stressful time with my wife’s health, painting felt like to much effort, but doing a bit of modelling (sticking plastic kits together, not catwalk) worked for me. So go with what seems fun / relaxing at the time, and don’t fret the progress or not of a project.

PS Really liking how these figures are coming out, particularly the gunners

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2020, 06:51:24 PM »
Don’t worry there is sufficient eye candy here to keep even greedy folks like me happy.  Take the break and sort out all that ‘stuff’ and come back smiling.  Go steady.

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2020, 08:20:46 PM »
I am sorry to hear that you had to struggle that much in the last months. Your painting progress was a joy to watch und I hope you will get back into the mood for painting. I feel like painting will lure you back in eventually, so don't stress your self too much about it. We all return to the brush...

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2020, 12:32:01 PM »
Okay... sorry for the cry baby stuff, though I am in a better place now (thanks all). I have to admit though that fred's suggestion to do something else (in this case some terrain) worked a treat.

Here are my artillery officers, general and his staff officer, completed:

Again another rather fast hand held (way too) close up shot; a bit blurry and bright, so not the greatest.

The General comes from Pendraken's 1st Schleswig-Holstein War Danish collection. He looks like an old dog, but I really like the figure.

With those complete, I will now be basing up 4 bases of guns (batteries), 1 Division Commander base and a scenic base featuring a country cottage. I recently received some Javis Scatter no 71 Spring Mixture flock and it looks just like static grass.  :)  So I am a bit excited to see how it looks on my bases.

I'll be showing the finished bases next (probably also including the hussars) and they will all be complete. Hopefully, soon.

Thanks for following...  ;)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 01:30:00 PM by Ray Rivers »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2020, 12:57:57 PM »
Great stuff Ray, I am really enjoying seeing this project come together. You are doing a fantastic job with such small figures. Truly amazing brushwork. :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »
You ought to see me painting them, Nick. For stability... I have the figures in my left hand. My right hand and brush is braced up against my left hand. My wrists are laying on my painting table and both elbows are laying on the arms of my chair.  o_o

Of course, I have my Opti-visor on, but I am so concentrated that a bomb could go off and I probably wouldn't realize it.  lol

Old age... what can I say.  :D

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2020, 03:06:44 PM »
You ought to see me painting them, Nick. For stability... I have the figures in my left hand. My right hand and brush is braced up against my left hand. My wrists are laying on my painting table and both elbows are laying on the arms of my chair.  o_o

Of course, I have my Opti-visor on, but I am so concentrated that a bomb could go off and I probably wouldn't realize it.  lol

Old age... what can I say.  :D

I can well believe it, I've been supporting my wrists etc whilst painting the heraldry(not greatly!) on my 28mm knights. I really need to invest in an opti-visor though, my specs just aren't doing the job for me lol

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2020, 03:27:51 PM »
I can well believe it, I've been supporting my wrists etc whilst painting the heraldry(not greatly!) on my 28mm knights. I really need to invest in an opti-visor though, my specs just aren't doing the job for me lol

On Amazon UK they go for up to like 150 pounds, but don't be fooled, they are all the same.

I think mine is similar to this:

Amazon UK Optivsor

They work great!

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2020, 06:37:42 AM »
Your general is splendid, Ray!

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles
BBBBlog:
https://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2020, 08:43:46 AM »
Your officers look great! They could be easily taken for 15mm!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2020, 10:49:36 AM »
I have to admit though that fred's suggestion to do something else (in this case some terrain) worked a treat.

The General comes from Pendraken's 1st Schleswig-Holstein War Danish collection. He looks like an old dog, but I really like the figure.

Glad the suggestion helped - these new guys look splendid.

I need to get back to painting 10mm been doing 28s recently, mainly as they are a bit more practical when remote gaming

Offline Kublaibenzine

• Student
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2020, 11:18:45 AM »
What a gorgeous job! Kudos.

My eyes are too old for this now, but I do love 10mm.

Sorry if I missed this, but what rules will you be using?

JP

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2020, 11:53:15 AM »
Well... thanks everybody! Especially fred;) Ya'll made my day!  :)

Sorry if I missed this, but what rules will you be using?

Grand Tactical. So 1871 or BBBs.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2020, 12:35:48 PM »
Stunning paint jobs on something so small
I can't get over the edging on the horse blankets, very neat, what size of brush are you using?